Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bill Nelson clean jazzy tone

Iggydavid

• 1 month later...

I would recommend the JC-120 or the Double Vib for clean jazz tones. I'm less familiar with Bill Nelson, but I checked out a few youtube videos; I think the aforementioned amps are probably your best bet. Some light gain from the Scream 808 or Minotaur, as well as delay and reverb and possibly some chorus. I think a big part of this equation will be a semi hollow guitar to get that thicker, woodier sound.

Here's a quote from a guitar magazine interview. Just google the text for the rest of it.

"Do you record guitars direct? 
Yes, without any mic’ing of amps or cabs. I mostly use a Line 6 Pod 2; for some reason, I prefer the sound of the early ones. I also have an old Zoom 2050 rack processor and a Digitech Valve FX rack processor I add to my rig for live performances. I also have a Line 6 Pod HD500 I use in the studio when I need a more-abrasive rock sound. In conjunction with the Pod 2, I’ve also recently been using a Line 6 M5 stompbox modeler that Reeves Gabrels gave me. Some of the filters and sequenced tremolo effects in the M5 are interesting. Reeves and I are recording an album together, too."