Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Legato

JimDiGritz

I just saw this demo of a Chaos Pad style controller/effects unit (GTC Revpad) which might float some peoples boat.

What caught my eye was the Legato effect, now I know this was achieved with the touch pad, but was curious as to whether something similar could be achieved with the Helix (maybe on a momentary switch or expression pedal....)

You can see/hear the effect in this jam:

https://youtu.be/J-TEllP6nVk?t=23s

PS I know it's essentially a bit of 'fakery' but I thought it would be cool as a little effect

Cheers

You might get close to something like this by using a harmony delay, or a combination of multiple harmony delays to increase the number of 'unplayed' notes. You'd need to set the mixes at 100%. Assigning these effects to a momentary switch should work as well, perhaps assigning the mix parameters to toggle between 0 and 100, instead of enabling/disabling the blocks. I would imagine the timing, at those speeds, would have to be pretty exact to sound correct.

• Upvote 1

Clearly this could be accomplished the "old school" way with simply the expression pedal as a volume pedal, or even older school by rolling the volume knob.  I've also done something very similar using the autoswell and finger picking multiple strings simultaneously.

Interesting, thanks - I'll have a play!

If anyone gets this working meanwhile feel free to share your ideas!

Here's a preset I quickly put together to test my idea: Auto Play.zip

It sort of works, but not nearly as well as displayed in the video. It would probably take a bit of planning to actually use this preset, and the momentary functionality doesn't work very well either. However, there's a bit a flexibility if you were to use snapshots. You could change the scales and intervals used, among other things. To change the speed, there's probably several ways to do that. One would be changing the bpm per snapshot, or another could be changing the delays' note sync. Also, the faster you want the notes to play, the quicker the actual pick attack on the note must be or it won't sound right.

It's a fun little way to achieve a musical quality that might otherwise be impossible to actually play on a guitar. I use this method in one of my songs, but as I stated earlier, it does take some planning and would be difficult to use effectively on the spot. That looks like a big advantage of that Revpad.

• Upvote 1

Here's a preset I quickly put together to test my idea: attachicon.gifAuto Play.zip

It sort of works, but not nearly as well as displayed in the video. It would probably take a bit of planning to actually use this preset, and the momentary functionality doesn't work very well either. However, there's a bit a flexibility if you were to use snapshots. You could change the scales and intervals used, among other things. To change the speed, there's probably several ways to do that. One would be changing the bpm per snapshot, or another could be changing the delays' note sync. Also, the faster you want the notes to play, the quicker the actual pick attack on the note must be or it won't sound right.

It's a fun little way to achieve a musical quality that might otherwise be impossible to actually play on a guitar. I use this method in one of my songs, but as I stated earlier, it does take some planning and would be difficult to use effectively on the spot. That looks like a big advantage of that Revpad.

Thanks Duncan, appreciate the time you spent on this - will have a play later.