12 replies to this topic

#1 anek

anek

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

went to plug my usb cable into my well taken care of pod hd 500, and one of the end in there for the wire, is broken. this is my first issue with it, and would like to know if anyone else has had this problem, there seems to be something missing from that hole. Next question would be, what can I do about it. not going to be able to edit tones till i get it fixed.

#2 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

Didn't have this issue (thanks God).You can sent it for repair to the shop you bought it...Alternatively, you can edit the fx and parameters on the hd hardware, especially if you are not using the usb for recording.

#3 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11386 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

I suggest you take your HD500 in to an authorized Line 6 service centre:

http://line6.com/service_centers/

Hopefully it is still under warranty. This was a surprisingly expensive non-warranty repair for me (same thing happened) but was not something I felt comfortable attempting to do myself. In most cases it is not a simple matter of replacing the jack/connector; there is also an internal chip that usually needs replacement.

While the fix can be expensive, the device is much less useful without a working usb connection.The problem is not just using the editor or not being able to record directly, it also means you can no longer update firmware or even import new presets.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#4 vsimoes

vsimoes

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:58 AM

Hello,

My USB port has broken too, it was a surprise considering the fact i take a good care of my HD 500, in any case i have done a video showing the solution.

Be advised, you must change the USB Controller chip as well.

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

#5 twcazhd

twcazhd

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:01 AM

(just my experience, not sure if it was supposed to be running in fast forward.)

the video was nice, it was a racecar ride through ripping an hd500 apart and replacing the port and chip.  that being said, after watching whole thing, i am now motion sick, next time a caveat would be a nice addition to the link.

on a side note, i personally like to watch the whole thing in real time, so it might just be my pc being mental today causing it to be running fast.

cheers.

#6 sheaky

sheaky

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

This seems to be a very common problem as many others have posted the same thing in many forums....Line 6 needs to acknowledge the problem and offer a replacement motherboard to its customers instead of telling them to have the usb port replaced at their own expense after one year of ownership...I am currently awaiting a response form Line 6 to this regard....

#7 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15393 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

yeah its so common you saw less than 10 posted in an internet forum dedicated to problems.

of the 10,000+ they've probably sold.

:rolleyes:

This seems to be a very common problem as many others have posted the same thing in many forums....Line 6 needs to acknowledge the problem and offer a replacement motherboard to its customers instead of telling them to have the usb port replaced at their own expense after one year of ownership...I am currently awaiting a response form Line 6 to this regard....

#8 mput

mput

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

THAT'S BS Zap. I know of over 20 people this has happened to including me. L6 knows this happens and they couldn't care less. This is the only usb port that has ever broken on me. So roll your eyes somewhere else.  im not drinkin the Kool-Aid. 

#9 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15393 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:38 AM

oh wow you've doubled my estimate... it surely must be a massive conspiracy by line6 to deploy defective usb ports throughout the universe.

i'm sure that none of them happened because of someone stepping on a cable or something... surely not a single one.

:rolleyes:

it's perfectly fine to be unhappy because it happened to you....

but to project it out into the world as some sort of epidemic issue is flat wrong.

have you tried contacting them... pickup the phone... there may have been a problem batch and they may be willing to help you.

to my knowledge that's not the case, i'm merely pointing out that the issue isn't as widespread as you would have the world believe.

THAT'S BS Zap. I know of over 20 people this has happened to including me. L6 knows this happens and they couldn't care less. This is the only usb port that has ever broken on me. So roll your eyes somewhere else.  im not drinkin the Kool-Aid. 

#10 sheaky

sheaky

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:55 AM

I picked up the phone, and they gave me a number to a service centre who told me they want to charge me for the repair, because it is "broken" and not malfunctioning. They are saying because the usb port is broken it is not a warranty issue...As mentioned in the reply, how many people do you know that have ever broken a USB port on any other electronic device, ever. I plugged mine in three times and it happened, give me a break..no pun intended..

#11 sheaky

sheaky

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

Yes sounds about right..lol...Has anyone tried to get a warranty replacement motherboard from Line 6, instead of having to have the usb port and usb controller chip replaced...? Thx...

#12 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15393 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

If you seriously have this issue, I'd encourage you to call them and speak to support, they can help you.

The issue clearly can and has happened. They are aware of it, and they can do things to help you.

(perhaps even outside of the warranty length)

I'd suggest that Sheaky specifically call the support number and ask to speak to the supervisor.

since you had talked to support previously, they should have your history.

All i was saying previously is that it is not a constant or recall level occurrence.

I picked up the phone, and they gave me a number to a service centre who told me they want to charge me for the repair, because it is "broken" and not malfunctioning. They are saying because the usb port is broken it is not a warranty issue...As mentioned in the reply, how many people do you know that have ever broken a USB port on any other electronic device, ever. I plugged mine in three times and it happened, give me a break..no pun intended..

#13 sheaky

sheaky

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

Ok RealZap, I will have to try and call again and maybe elevate my issue to the supervisor....I did send a message in to the support forum via computer, but I haven't received a final reply about it yet...Thanks... :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users