#1 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

This happened last night it was the second speaker in the L6 link connection and none of the other speakers displayed this sort of problem it sounded as if the speaker was blown crackling sounding at all until I rebooted it and it was fine. This has never happened before and has not happened since.

Hey Db is this one of the things that you were talking about by me using DMX cables versus the AES cables? Or is this something I need to be concerned about my L3t?

May you be blessed and our Lord Jesus keep you!!!

#2 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

I see this happen some times if the L6 cables get kicked sometimes. I'm not too worried about DMX cables until you are over 25feet with them. YMMV :)

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

I would, once again, heartily endorse what the brilliant Boomer has said.

I'll just offer some more detail (possibly over-simplified for the sake of clarity) regarding why I agree. 

It's been our experience that gross corruption of the sort you're describing, jaminjimlp, generally happens when there's been some sort of "catastrophic" disturbance to the stream of "zeros and ones" that go to the device in question...

...whereas a run of "incorrect" wiring will pretty much just "round off" or "lessen the difference" between the individual "zero" and "one" (or "on" and "off") states that make up the "words" of our digitally encoded "messages", to the point where the intended "receiver" (be it a speaker or lighting fixture) either "goes hunting" for "good code" (heard or seen as "splatting" or "flashing") and/or becomes "slow" to respond and/or fails to respond at all.

In that last instance, it just "sits there" in whatever "state" that its last "command" left it, ...very much like some of the less self-motivated humans we've endured over the years.  

#4 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11092 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

I sometimes experience an odd crackling sound too, or an apparent loss of high-end in one of my L3t speakers. It's generally due to a cable and is usually fixed by simply jiggling, or disconnecting and reconnecting, the cable. I find the most likely culprit to be the cable connection leaving the M20d mixer. My suspicion is that this happens because of the mixer design, where the L6 Link cable leaves the mixer in an almost vertical position, and if the cable hangs down behind the M20d it tends to put some stress on or near the connection. Whenever I get the noise I jiggle the cable to reseat it and most often the noise disappears.

I'd like to find a better diagnosis and solution if anyone can offer it. Any simple and creative DIY ideas to prevent the cable from bending so sharply as it leaves the cable's end housing? I see some cables with a built-in plastic sleeve but the L6 Link cables don't have that.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#5 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:49 AM   Best Answer

Updated firmware on the speakers and it fixed it!!!

#6 SiWatts69

SiWatts69

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSouth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

where the L6 Link cable leaves the mixer in an almost vertical position

Cable bend radius is something you definitely need to take account of with digital signal cables. Not just in their deployment but in their storage too. The rest of the guys in the band make fun of me as I'm pretty anal about how my cables get wound up at the end of a gig... so much so, I wind all of them up nowadays!

Check the specs for the cable concerned to discover it's minimum bend radius and like has been said, the vertical cable entry and exit on the M20d isn't going to help matters. My M20d sits on a mixer stand (K&M) and I've considered making a board for it to rest on, with cutouts for the feet and space for the router and other peripherals that sit with the mixer. I guess it wouldn't take much to add a back shelf to it which sits above the level of the top of the XLR's and hand the cables over it. Appropriate roundovers on the edge of the shelf and cable bend can be minimised.

#7 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

That sounds like the same thing that happened to my sub when it arrived. I thought I fixed it with a firm aware update, but no luck. Before you use it again, I would leave it powered up for some time. I didn't even need to have cables plugged in at all and it happened.

Check this video at about 1:58 in. See if that is your sound....

If it is, I don't think the firmware update will fix it for long. This problem was dealt with very quickly and with no questions. Service was great.

#8 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

Cable bend radius is something you definitely need to take account of with digital signal cables. Not just in their deployment but in their storage too. The rest of the guys in the band make fun of me as I'm pretty anal about how my cables get wound up at the end of a gig... so much so, I wind all of them up nowadays!

My wife was cracking up when I read this to her, she wanted to write something back, I am the same way and can't figure out why it is so hard for people to figure out how to properly wind a cord up, after trying to teach someone for 4 years you just do it yourself. I like doing mine the way that they come when you buy them and don't ever let them get twisted it must lay down and relax in the way that it comes new. I can't stand seeing a cord rolled up uneven or twisted, heck I've even undone them and fixed them my self... I just think it's better to take care of them... I have extension cords that are 20+ years old.

That sounds like the same thing that happened to my sub when it arrived. I thought I fixed it with a firm aware update, but no luck. Before you use it again, I would leave it powered up for some time. I didn't even need to have cables plugged in at all and it happened.

Check this video at about 1:58 in. See if that is your sound....

If it is, I don't think the firmware update will fix it for long. This problem was dealt with very quickly and with no questions. Service was great.

Oh yea brother I remember the first time you posted that, it was a nasty sound!!! mine was more like a bad voice coil, kinda scratchy when playing some thing through it

#9 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

...The rest of the guys in the band make fun of me as I'm pretty anal about how my cables get wound up at the end of a gig... so much so, I wind all of them up nowadays!...

I frequently get an almost identical reaction from members of various crews who are de-rigging alongside me.

They stop laughing pretty quickly when they're still trying to untangle their stuff at a subsequent gig, while even my most "ancient" cables just "fling out", ...resulting in me being set up and relaxed, with everything running, ...while they're still at screaming pitch chasing all sorts of intermittent problems.  :)

#10 SiWatts69

SiWatts69

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:04 AM

They stop laughing pretty quickly when they're still trying to untangle their stuff at a subsequent gig, while even my most "ancient" cables just "fling out", ...resulting in me being set up and relaxed, with everything running, ...while they're still at screaming pitch chasing all sorts of intermittent problems.  :)

And therein lies the second big benefit for looking after them! For the sake of the few extra minutes it takes to coil them flat at de-rig, they are so much easier to a) get out of bags/cases at the next gig and b)run out tidily on stage.

All mine have velcro straps and are coiled to a 10" approx loop but I run them out full length before coiling so they lie even in the coil.

I just wish I could get mains cables to be as easy to deal with! Commercially bought ones are nasty, really stiff and horrible to store, whereas the power rig I assembled (described in this thread) is all "made up" using rubber coated mains flex which coils beautifully :-)

#11 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:18 AM

All mine have Velcro straps

mine too but the guys would undo the last part that keeps them on the cord just to get at me  :o   :angry: sometimes  :D  :wacko:  

#12 SiWatts69

SiWatts69

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:48 AM

LOL @ jaminjimlp

#13 JeffersteinVS

JeffersteinVS

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

Where did you find the Firmware update for the speakers?

Complete Dream Stage./JTV-59k/HD500X/RELAY G30  Guitar Player for VelvetSkies. 90's to Modern Party Rock Boston Ma. VelvetSkiesBand.com

#14 malcevansmusic

malcevansmusic

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

I sometimes experience an odd crackling sound too, or an apparent loss of high-end in one of my L3t speakers.

This is what I experienced with a 'new' LT2 speaker and XLR inputs. Are you saying this problem is a 'digital cable only' problem, or something that can be caused by XLR's too...

#15 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11092 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

I don't know if it's AES/EBU only. I have only used the official Line 6 L6 Link cables with the L6 Link connection on my L3t speakers so I can't speak to using regular XLR cables.

But in my case the only time I have experienced the noise is when the L6 Link cable appears stressed at the join with the end cable shielding. When I straighten out the cable end the noise disappears.

.... John Lennon

#16 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

Using non AES cables can result in some reflections of the  signal within the cable.  These can cause noise and clicks in the signal and eventually will result in the signal stopping.  I wouldn't use anything but the proper cables if you need to run more that 10 feet to avoid potential problems.  Short regular mic cables are usually OK for top to sub or close monitor to monitor hookups.

As far as problems cause by kinking the cable ... I wouldn't expect any problems from it since the cable itself is a twisted pair.  Fibre (toslink) and coax cables carried digital signal suffer losses if the radius is too severe.  Probably what you are experiencing is more related to the actually contact between the connector and the jack.  The digital chain does not like interruptions.  

#17 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11092 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

.......  Probably what you are experiencing is more related to the actually contact between the connector and the jack.  The digital chain does not like interruptions.

Thanks for clarifying Don. Do you think it's possible that this contact might be affected by the unsupported L6 Link cable drooping under gravity as it leaves the vertically-positioned housing from the M20d flat on the desktop? I seem to experience this noise only under that situation, and when I relieve the pressure on the cable at that specific point the noise disappears. Could straightening the cable as it exits the plastic cable-end housing restore solid contact at the connection points inside?

I ask because my warranty on both the M20d and the L3t will expire soon. If either of those have a problem I would like to get it fixed under warranty.

Thanks.

.... John Lennon

#18 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

Where did you find the Firmware update for the speakers?

Don Boomer

#19 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

Silver ... To test you need to mechanically isolate your plug and jack. It is possible that pins in the jack may have been bent or other damage. So if standing the plug up seems to fix your problem that sounds like the case unless your cable is frayed inside.

Have you tried the system with a different cable? You do need to prove that out since cable damage is much more likely than jack failure.

#20 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11092 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

I recall trying several different L6 LINK cables when the symptoms first appeared, and it didn't seem to help. However I haven't yet done a really thorough and systematic test. I will do that now, inspecting the physical connectors in the M20d and both L3ts and swapping out cables and speakers systematically in search of the culprit.

Thanks for the help.

.... John Lennon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users