Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Not A Good Start

Lee7uk

Been using two G10's now for about 12 months and in that time done a lot of gigs in all manner of venues without too much fuss, in fact it has been really quite a pain free experience considering the reports I have read on here from other G10 users.

Last night, like most gig nights we do, we had a sound check where both G10's are used simultaneously, one for bass and the other for rhythm and everything worked as is. Come to start of the show, the G10 that is used for my bass was still plugged into the guitar waiting to be awoken, the other was plugged into the base unit.

For some strange reason there is no sound coming from the G10 plugged into the bass guitar, but as soon as I removed the the other G10 from it's base unit the bass guitar comes through the rhythm guitar amp and the G10 for the rhythm amp when inserted into the guitar just cuts out the bass guitar.

So I unplugged them both really hastily (at this point the other two members are part way through out opening number) and inserted them both back into their base's so they would both lock onto a free channel each and then replugged them back into their corresponding guitars, no joy at all.

I ended up putting a lead into the bass guitar and running the rhythm off it's normal G10 that worked fine all night.

This is the first time that this has happened and hopefully the last.

The only other device within range that is operating on 2.4ghz is my router that is plugged into my A&H QU-SB rack mixer so I can run my iPad, now that router is an Apple Airport Express and set to a fixed ip address and to channel 100 within the 2.4 spectrum, would this pose a problem?

Anyway, after looking embarrassed we got on with the show and had a good night, but it has certainly given my doubts for future gigs using the Line 6 G10's, if is likely to happen again the two of will either go back to the tried and tested cable or I may opt over and check out Shure GLX-D system, more expensive, but worth it if reliable.

:)

I think what happened was that the one in the base was "sleeping" while the other was sitting in the receiver base. The one sitting in the receiver assigned itself a channel that was the same as the one sleeping in the bass. So when the bass woke up, it was playing through the other receiver. You could probably play both bass and guitar through your rhythm guitar amp. 

What you need to make sure to do pre-show is to power up one unit, put the transmitter into the receiver to assign a channel, remove from the receiver. While that one is still transmitting (solid green LED), power up the other unit, insert the transmitter into the receiver to assign it a channel. Now the first should be assigned to "channel 1" with that particular receiver and the other is assigned to "channel 2" with the other receiver. Once you have done that and have ran sound check verifying bass and guitar are working as desired, do NOT put them back into the receiver units because they will attempt to reassign channels. They could get crossed up again if one is sleeping while you plug the other into the receiver. 

If you need to charge your transmitter (and didn't do so before the show) you can buy a charging cord that you can charge the transmitter with without having to insert it into the receiver. The charging cord will not reassign channels on the transmitter. 

• Upvote 2

Yup!

The G10 Transmitter that was returned to the Receiver Unit, is what caused that system to commence the autoselect routine. As such, it selected the first available/clear/unused channel it found in the auto select sequence of 14 channels availble to the G10 system. This happened to be the same first channel originally assigned to the Bass Guitar's G10 system.

As the Bass guitar's unit was in Sleep mode (it had been in the Bass guitar w/o any signal for over 4 minutes), it's channel was not seen by the other system as active nor in use. Thus, G10 system for the Rhythm Guitar did not advance past what would have been the busy channel.

The Line 6 USB Charging Cable for the G10 is a handy accessory for $15.

The G10 Transmitter Battery provides a rated 8 Hrs of active transmission time. Plenty for a Weekend's Gigs and Practice. The Standby (aka Sleep) time is rated at 200 hours with a full charge. Even when near depletion, the G10 Battery charges to full in just over an hour. So long as the G10's microswitch at the base of the 1/4" Male Plug is depressed (as when fully inserted into a Guitar or the Receiver Base unit) it is going to be active, asleep in 4 minutes, or charging.

To avoid such channel reassignment mixups in the future, simply do not fully insert the transmitter in the base unit! There's no problem only pluggin it into the base unit part way. Or, don't plug it into the base unit at all.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for your replies, I hadn't even considered that.

Usually both transmitters are inserted into their respective base units prior to show start to keep them fully charged and never had the above problem.

In future once sound checks have been done we will leave the transmitters plugged into the guitar.