Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L6 Link Two Dt25's Together

benbutterworth

Hi,

I'm very much enjoying my DT25 head and POD HD500. I also use it in conjunction with a couple of pedals in front of the HD500 and couple in the FX loop.

I am considering buying a second DT25 head. So I can really get presence on stage, either with two amps running the same tone, or two totally different amps (e.g. Twin and Divided by 13).

However, there is something I can't work out.

If I connect the 2nd DT25 via L6 link from the first DT25, and if I use a foot pedal (e.g. Fulltone OCD) in front of POD HD500, then will both amps take on the sound of the Fulltone OCD (because it is at the front of the signal chain)?

Or, is there a way to route connections within the POD HD 500 that means that I am able to run the amps clean/dirty, completely independently of each other, and crucially, that the second DT25 won't be affected by the pedals in front of the amp?

I'm assuming I have to set up two FX loops in the POD HD500 - I'm not even certain this is possible?!

See attached diagram.

Any thoughts?

Ben

HD500 SETUP.pdf

The pre-HD500 effects would affect both amps if you use a single input source.

One way to avoid this would be to use a signal splitter (or y cable) and put the effects on one path, e.g. to 'guitar in' and the unaffected signal into the 'aux in', and configure the input sources accordingly. However, you would need to be careful within the HD signal path not to sum the two signals at any point, e.g. by using a common mono effect.

Hope that helps. 

• 6 months later...

Hi, this works well. ABY Radial bones switcher into the guitar and aux inputs.

One thing puzzles me, I cannot use the effects loop AFTER the amp in L6 when set up as Amp A and Amp B in the setup menu - I can only use them BEFORE the amp - the same with reverb and in fact any effect external or in the HD500. I have to set them up as left and right amps. Does this make a difference to the tone? Allocated as Amp A and Amp B is it simply allocating the path and the amp icon is just an indicator of the amp chain?

Any thoughts are helpful!

BB

One thing puzzles me, I cannot use the effects loop AFTER the amp in L6 when set up as Amp A and Amp B in the setup menu - I can only use them BEFORE the amp - the same with reverb and in fact any effect external or in the HD500. I have to set them up as left and right amps. Does this make a difference to the tone? Allocated as Amp A and Amp B is it simply allocating the path and the amp icon is just an indicator of the amp chain?

If you want to have the effects after the amp model play through the DT25s, you need to set them as "Left", "Right", or "Left/Right" under the L6 Link menu. Setting them as A and B makes them essentially the last thing in the chain. If you want to keep them separated simply make one "Left" and the other one "Right". You just have to make sure you have the separation you want in your tone on the HD500.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, can you explain, or do yiu have any idea, why they did this?!

The other problem I have is using reverb after the mixer. Any reason there is bleed when they are mixed hard left and right? Is it a mono effect? It doesn't behave the same as e.g. Stereo delay.

When panned to the centre in the mxrr, the signal sounds dreadful. The manual seems to tun out when digging into things!