Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FBV3 or MKII for HD Pro X, choose wisely grasshopper!

It took me awhile to decide whether to purchase the Pro X (Rack) or the 500X (Floor) models. I went with the Pro X, but now wish I'd spent some of that time looking into the foot controller. Just looking at the similarities between the switches on the FBV3 and the 500X I assumed there would be identical functionality when controlling the Pro X. Now that I'm ready to purchase a controller I see that is not the case. So it appears from info I've found here in the forum the FBV3 is the "recommended" one, however the Pilots Guide for the Pro X seems to say the MKII is. I have an old A.R.T. Midi controller that will change presets and one expression parameter, but it's nowhere near ideal. Sadly, sounds like the Line 6 controllers fit the same description. They work but.... So any opinions as to which Line 6 would provide the best functionality with the Pro X? Is the MKII phasing out, making the FBV3 more practical?

UPDATE;

So I’ve continued my trek and discovered new wisdom.

• Comparing images of the FBV3 and MKII it is clear why the FBV3’s FS2 switch is seen as FS1 by the Pro X. While the physical layout of the 2 boards are the same, the page up/down and function buttons have swapped. The Pro X thinks it has an MKII connected.
  • Any substantive info about how a Line 6 FBV will work with your Amp or Effect will be in your products Advanced User Guide.
  • The MKII is the recommended FBV in the Pro X Guide, but the Guide was written before the FBV3 was released.
  • The color LEDs are not going to work with anything but Firehawk or maybe a few recent Line 6 products.
  • The MKII appears to be phasing out. The large on-line music retailers don’t have it. I found it on GC for $168 and used on EB for about $120.
  • I read somewhere in this forum or a product review that the L6 FBV’s are “dumb switching devices†and have no real processing capability. That resides in the host device and “they don’t even do MIDIâ€. While there is no MIDI connector, they do MIDI via USB. They can control software such as L6 POD Farm, Pro Tools, SONAR, Cubase, etc. with MIDI messages. There is even a GUI for the FBV3 or MKII to make custom assignments from a Laptop, so “dumb switching device†… not true.

During my trek, I’ve gone back and forth. I discovered the MIDI software control while looking at the rather large manual for the MKII and thought it the better choice, then found in the ridiculously small FBV3 manual it works with that GUI and does the same thing. The price of a MKII on EB is appealing, but the prospect that L6 will release an update and improve functionality with the FBV3 is there also. The MKII is old news. With either one a label maker may be the best way to clarify what does what in Loop, Preset, or FS1-8 modes.

So, my long journey has led me back where I started. I believe the FBV 3 to be the wise choice. It’s been in my wishlist at Sweetwater since I bought the Pro X. Hope this info may help someone else with similar questions.

But master, how could a long journey that brings one back to where he started be wise? Ah grasshopper, IT’S NOT YOU LITTLE DUMB…, AND DROP THE STUPID KUNG FU METAPHOR!!!