Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Feels good to finally organize

xmacvicar

After months of learning the Firehawk and all its 'ins and outs' and capabilities I have finally gotten around to figuring out a preset storing system on my device.

I am a bit of a stickler and I didn't want to lose the factory presets. Let's be honest, they may not sound fantastic in every situation, but alot of the implementation and FX blocks are great for inspiration. What I did was save every single factory preset to "My Tones" with this naming structure

"Z - 1a HD Rhythm"

Z at the beginning keeps it at the bottom of the my tones list out of the way of my real tones, but I can easily recall it at any time later for inspiration (not having to do factory reset to get them back, etc)

Now that I have the factory presets backed up, I started saving my real personal presets in the many firehawk banks. It took my months to decide what kind of saving structure made sense to me. I approached this not from a cover band/performance perspective, but from an 'owner of many amps' perspective.

Each bank is an amp. Each preset is a variation of that amp for a certain guitar that I own. So for example the bank structure for 1 would be "Fender Deluxe Reverb"

1a. F Deluxe R Tele

1b. F Deluxe R Strat

1c. F Deluxe R LP

1d. F Deluxe R SG

I carry this on for all the various amp models I really want to play

2a. F Bassman Tele

2b. F Bassman Strat

2c. F Bassman LP

2d. F Bassman SG

I will do this for as many banks forward as I need. I can see myself setting up Fender specific banks, then into Vox, then into Marshall's, then into the higher gain stuff. Any time I know I can bank up and preset "3" will be the Les Paul always. This will allow me to grab any guitar and play any amp tailored specifically to that guitar/pickups/output.

I figure if I get into a band situation in the future I can use this is as the basis of my tones when I play, but then as I get into more setlist specific situations I can copy tones and create likely banks for actually songs. For example using Tom Petty Running Down a Dream:

1a. RDAD Rhythm

1b. RDAD Crunch Tone

1c. RDAD Lead Tone

etc.

This will allow me to tailor the patches to the exact similar tones or delay trails for what those songs are. 

Any feedback is appreciated! I Know this kinda thing is very subjective and opinions vary wildly. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Congratulations! It takes a lot of planning and execution, and hence a lot of time, to achieve an organization of banks and presets that works for you. Your approach seems well thought out and reflects your particular needs with multiple guitars. As you say others will have a different organization that suits them better. What's important is that you have taken the time and done the work required to personalize an organization for yourself. You deserve to feel good about that!

Congratulations! It takes a lot of planning and execution, and hence a lot of time, to achieve an organization of banks and presets that works for you. Your approach seems well thought out and reflects your particular needs with multiple guitars. As you say others will have a different organization that suits them better. What's important is that you have taken the time and done the work required to personalize an organization for yourself. You deserve to feel good about that!

Thanks!

Modellers like this give you so many choices. It's hard to decide what works best. From a performance perspective its amazing to press 1 preset and go from crunch to a lead without having to tap dance. But this 'eats up' more presets. Im not in a band so I don't really have this requirement yet but right now I'm happy to load up say an AC30 for my Les Paul, and then if I need to jump into a solo i'll switch on both the Stomp OD pedal and Stomp Delay pedal. It's a bit more 'tap dancing' but it allows me to store all these amp variations for all my guitars. 

Awesome!

And with a Variax guitar you wouldn't even need to swap physical guitars! You could store all the different Variax settings, including alternate tunings, in the Firehawk presets. By switching presets you could switch instantly from a Strat rhythm tone to an LP lead tone. Just one example of the additional flexibility. If and when you do start gigging in a band you will appreciate the convenience of carrying one guitar instead of four.

And with a Variax guitar you wouldn't even need to swap physical guitars! You could store all the different Variax settings, including alternate tunings, in the Firehawk presets. By switching presets you could switch instantly from a Strat rhythm tone to an LP lead tone. Just one example of the additional flexibility. If and when you do start gigging in a band you will appreciate the convenience of carrying one guitar instead of four.

I gotta admit that is super cool but I don't think there is anything in this world that would tear my wonderful axes outta my hands for a variax. Maybe some day I will add one to the family :D

I gotta admit that is super cool but I don't think there is anything in this world that would tear my wonderful axes tube amps and stomp boxes outta my hands for a variax Firehawk FX. Maybe some day I will add one to the family :D

;) i edited the above for you ..... :D Just sayin'.....

• 1 month later...

And after you've filled up all the banks in Firehawk 1, you can move on to Firehawk 2... Or as silverhead suggested, you can simply add a Variax to your guitar collection : )

In either case, your feeling of satisfaction is well deserved.