Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

wow hahah just wow

cgar18

Total respect to D.I. for the answer above. It would be easy to jump on the Amplifire bashing bandwagon, especially coming from a representative of a competing company. I have to agree, I owned an AA prior to changing for helix lt and I honestly believe they are comparable products tonewise. Add to that the fact that andertons themselves have previously released some excellent amplifire demos then I'd say something is very off here. Whether accidental or deliberate user error this video is NOT representative of how the Amplifire sounds. For the record I still own my pod 2.0 and yes it is still usable but it IS NOT up there with Helix or Amplifire- they have evolved far more than this video suggests.

If you had an Amplifire guy who didn't know his unit well, and a POD 2.0 guy who did, the POD guy would win in a tone contest.

Turn it the other way around and... you get the picture.

The problem with shootouts is that the guy working with the stuff invariably knows and likes one better, and that one will always win.

I know Helix really well and can get (I think) stellar tones out of it... if I knew the Amplifire that well, the same would be true...

I was shocked by that video as well. I have never seen or tried an AA, but I thought it sounded too horrible to be set up right.  However, while the Helix is my main amp these days, I still get GOBS of use from a POD Pro and a Bass POD Pro. There are certain tones/models that sound more authentic to me than what the Helix has, based on owning the actual amps.  For instance, I had a Blackface Deluxe Reverb that was amazing.  I could cop it's tone using the POD Pro, but have yet to get close enough with the Helix model.  Same with the JCM800 model.  I had a particularly glorious vertical input 2204.  I could nail it's tone in the POD Pro.  When working with the 800 model in the Helix it is always too fizzy and requires extra EQ to bring t to the sound of my 2204.  Same with the AC30.  I had a Rose-Morrisl era Vox that I loved the sound of.  Again, could nail its tone in the POD Pro, but can't get there easily with the Helix.

As I get to know the Helix better, I am coming closer to getting the mentioned amps closer to where I remember them sounding.  I have the POD Pro settings saved in my computer via Line 6 edit (yeah, I still have one old computer up and running, lol) for reference. 

My point is that when you KNOW a product you make it sound awesome.