Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix firmware update offline??

Axxxeman

In the description here you find information on firmware update for the Helix: http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/helix/how-to-update-the-helixs-firmware-r776. If I understand this info correctly, this means that I need a running internet connection for the update.

The problem is: There is no WiFi, nor any other internet connection in our band's rehearsal room whatsoever. And I'd hate to transport the helix more often than I have to, at least until I've got a flightcase for it.

So my question is: Is there a way to download the firmware file and install it offline?

Yes. Here's how I would proceed.:

1) Download and install the Helix app package (editor, driver, and Line 6 Updater program) on your computer where you have an Internet connection. Read and follow (and print out) the installation instructions.Fopllow the instructions up to the point where you are directed to rune the Line 6 Updater program to install the firmware. None of this requires the Helix device to be connected.

2) Download but do not install the firmware file. Note where it is located on your computer.

3) Bring the computer, a usb cable and the printed installation instructions to your rehearsal space where your Helix device is.

4) Connect Helix to your computer and run the Line 6 Updater program. Select to install from the file on your computer rather than from an internet connection. Point the installer to the firmware file on your computer. Continue to follow the remaining installation instructions from your printout.

I think the Line6 Updater requires you to log into your account. I wonder if you log into your account from a laptop where you have an internet connection if the Line6 Updater will allow to proceed with the flash from file.

Alternatively you could temporarily connect the computer to the internet with smartphone via USB. Warning, data rates may apply. :D  

1) Download and install the Helix app package (editor, driver, and Line 6 Updater program) on your computer where you have an Internet connection. Read and follow (and print out) the installation instructions.Fopllow the instructions up to the point where you are directed to rune the Line 6 Updater program to install the firmware. None of this requires the Helix device to be connected.

2) Download but do not install the firmware file. Note where it is located on your computer.

3) Bring the computer, a usb cable and the printed installation instructions to your rehearsal space where your Helix device is.

4) Connect Helix to your computer and run the Line 6 Updater program. Select to install from the file on your computer rather than from an internet connection. Point the installer to the firmware file on your computer. Continue to follow the remaining installation instructions from your printout.

Why, that sounds fine. I will try out your solution. Thank you!

Okay, I'm stuck.

I have downloaded everything on my computer, editor, latest driver, updater.

But there was no installation guide.

And without connecting to the Helix you can't use the updater, because in both online and offline mode it just shows a screen, where you must (but can't) select a device ...

So obviously the line "None of this requires the Helix device to be connected." does not seem correct anymore. Or did I make some mistake somewhere?

I think the Line6 Updater requires you to log into your account. I wonder if you log into your account from a laptop where you have an internet connection if the Line6 Updater will allow to proceed with the flash from file.

Alternatively you could temporarily connect the computer to the internet with smartphone via USB. Warning, data rates may apply. :D  

Then LINE6 maybe should think again and find an offline solution. There is no possibility to connect to the internet at this place, not even with a smartphone.

• Upvote 1

I'm fairly certain you don't need an internet connection to actually update the device. At least that's how I always do it. Download the firmware file from the Line 6 website, run the updater, I don't log in, choose offline mode, and select my Helix that appears on the next screen, and go from there. Obviously you need an internet connection to download the firmware file prior to running the updater, and when you run the updater Helix obviously needs to be connected to the computer.

• Upvote 1

I'm fairly certain you don't need an internet connection to actually update the device. At least that's how I always do it. Download the firmware file from the Line 6 website, run the updater, I don't log in, choose offline mode, and select my Helix that appears on the next screen, and go from there. Obviously you need an internet connection to download the firmware file prior to running the updater, and when you run the updater Helix obviously needs to be connected to the computer.

Ah, now I understand, thank you. Hope it works this way :-) 

Okay, I'm stuck.

But there was no installation guide.<Snip>

The closest approximation of an "installation guide" is the screen of instructions (with Red and UPPERCASE emphasis) you viewed on Line 6's sofware download website page.

This entire updating process has proven to be a stumbling block/hurdle for many Helix owners. Line 6 is well aware of these frustrations, and will be revising the entire process in the months ahead. It not known how soon this will be rolled out, however, it is likely that this will NOT be resolved until AFTER firmware version 2.3, (or possibly after firmware 3.0) are released. Line 6 has stated that it should be later this year.

Thus, if you can get your Helix updated to the current firmware 2.21, you should be good to go, and not likely have to redo the process for (perhaps) several months.

The Line6 Updater has an "Offline Mode" button on the welcome screen. This is what you want to use when you don't have internet access but have the latest firmware file, Editor, and driver files already downloaded.

Just wanted to say that the Helix upgrade process takes a bit of time and can be tricky so I highly recommend you take your Helix home to do this operation where you have maximum resources including online access available and you don't have to worry about eating up rehearsal time. Find something safe for a temporary transport of the Helix and baby it in transit. However, notes are provided below in case the rehearsal space is your only option.

Silverhead's instructions are good overall but I wanted to make an important change to #1. Download but do NOT install the latest "Helix" app which will contain the Updater, Editor, and driver. The current Line6 procedure is to always backup you presets and IRs with the version of the Editor that matches your current firmware. Installing the new "Helix" app now will upgrade the Editor to the wrong version for backing up your current presets. So.. before you upgrade anything or install the "Helix" app. first back everything up you want to save using the matching versions of the Editor and firmware. Only when this is complete do you want to install the new "Helix" app and do a firmware upgrade. So, here are Silverhead's instructions slightly modified.

From Home:

• Make sure you have the version of the "Helix" app(Editor, Updater, driver) that matches your current firmware downloaded and installed, NOT the version you are upgrading to.
  • Download but do NOT install the latest Helix app package (editor, driver, and Line 6 Updater program) on your computer where you have an Internet connection.
  • Download but do NOT install the latest firmware file. Note where it is located on your computer.
  • Cut and paste and save the "Helix" application notes and the firmware notes from the Line6 download site into a file using a text Editor like Word or Notepad.
  • Save or print out and bring a copy of these instructions from this post (obvious I know but just the kind of thing I would forget).
  • Bring the computer, a usb cable and the printed installation instructions to your rehearsal space where your Helix device is.

At Rehearsal Space:

• Connect computer to Helix. You should have the version of the Editor already installed and loaded that matches your current firmware on the Helix. Backup a bundle, setlists, IRs, and even your separate presets if you like being extra thorough. Take a screenshot of your IR locations and take note of your global settings. The global reset after the firmware update will delete your Factory and Template presets and replace them with Line6's latest. Your IRs will also be deleted and all your global settings will be reset to their defaults.
  • Ok, you are finally ready. Now install the latest "Helix" application which you only downloaded previously. This will unpack the latest version of the Editor, Updater, and driver.
  • If you have good backups you are now ready to run the Line 6 Updater program. Select "Offline Mode" on the initial Updater welcome screen. Point the Updater to the firmware file on your computer. Run the firmware update. Continue to follow the remaining installation instructions from your printout.
  • After the firmware update completes do the Global Reset per the instructions in #3.
  • Restore your setlists, IRs, and global settings.
  • Do a final restart to allow all your restored presets to be rebuilt by the new firmware.
  • Upvote 1

Okay, I'm stuck.

But there was no installation guide.

And without connecting to the Helix you can't use the updater, because in both online and offline mode it just shows a screen, where you must (but can't) select a device ...

So obviously the line "None of this requires the Helix device to be connected." does not seem correct anymore. Or did I make some mistake somewhere?

See my notes in the post above. You will want to go back, uninstall the most recent version of the "Helix" app (Editor, Updater, driver) and install the version of the "Helix" app that matches your current Helix firmware version so you can be sure to get proper backups before proceeding with the firmware and software update.

"Offline Mode" simply means that an internet connection is not required. You still must be connected via USB to the Helix.

Silverhead's instructions are good overall but I wanted to make an important change to #1. Download but do NOT install the latest "Helix" app which will contain the Updater, Editor, and driver. The current Line6 procedure is to always backup you presets and IRs with the version of the Editor that matches your current firmware. Installing the new "Helix" app now will upgrade the Editor to the wrong version for backing up your current presets. So.. before you upgrade anything or install the "Helix" app. first back everything up you want to save using the matching versions of the Editor and firmware. Only when this is complete do you want to install the new "Helix" app and do a firmware upgrade. So, here are Silverhead's instructions slightly modified.

Oops, good, you mentioned this. I have the editor 2.21 running on notebook, editing HELIX 2.20. And so far it worked flawlessly. So I will do a downgrade on the editor software now. THANKS for this hint!!