Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What's the difference between L3M and Friedman or Atomic cabs?

Wondering what the difference is between these types of speakers?

I'm looking into purchasing a Helix and am trying to decide what type of speaker I want to output to.  I don't gig, just jam with friends and mainly play at home but I want to hear the same sound out of these speakers when I'm playing loud as I hear in headphones or when recording direct.

Oh also I'll just be using electric guitars through this setup.

Are there big differences in how these compare in sound/feel or is it more about just the PA vs Cab look?

If you are only using electric guitars - without serious drop tuning - the L3m is over specified. One of the speakers will almost never be used as it is used for low-end. The L2m will do the same thing and is what Line 6 used to demo the Helix when it first came out.

I don't know about the friedman (I have 2 x L2t which I also use as PA), but the Atomic CLR has a co-axial speaker (tweeter and woofer at mounted inside each other) so it will sound better at close distances while the Line 6 has separate tweeter and woofer so when close up the high and lows will come from different positions. For the intended PA use this is irrelevant.

There are many conversations on the the gear page about best FRFR , some of which involve Jay Mitchell who gave away the Mitchell Doughnut idea and consulted on the design of the CLR.

I would give you a link but it is the overnight maintenance period (early morning in the UK).

If you are only using electric guitars - without serious drop tuning - the L3m is over specified. One of the speakers will almost never be used as it is used for low-end. The L2m will do the same thing and is what Line 6 used to demo the Helix when it first came out.

I mostly play blues material right now but I also love playing hard rock and metal and have guitars tuned to drop C but that's about as low as I go.

Majority of the time I'm just playing in my room and the occasional jam sessions with friends is in a basement or garage so I don't have a lot of area to cover.  

The reason I specified the L3M is because there's a local Craigslisting for one with a real good price, but I would pay more for the better sounding speaker for the way I intend on using it.

if you have a bargain then go for it - the L3 is more full range than you need - it can also be used as a Bass Amp (serious professional bass players use them), but over-specification is better than being under-powered. It will sound great, but so will the CLR.

One benefit of the L design is that it is a solid box and with my shorter height I find the L2 speaker is quite a good seat - if you are taller the L3 might be a good perch!