Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How Many Persons Rolled Back To A Before Hd Version?

Version battles!  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How many roll back to a non HD version

I just rolled back, and I'm gonna stay on 1.9 for some time.
No matter how many times I succesfully (so the monkey says) apply 2.0 firmware, 

the volume and tone differences between strings are still there, on the same models.
It sounds as if they were strings from different guitars. Pity, I'm gonna miss some of the HD models...
I hope the next update works for everyone, not just for some.

• Upvote 1

Yeah its kinda sad I upgraded when it was availble, Went through and tweaked all my HD500 settings to accomodate the changes.  ( best I could)..  But now I have rolled back to 1.9..  Most of the models sound better to me on 1.9 but thats just a matter of taste or preference...  To me I thought 2.0 had more range and dynamics but it didn't sound good to me from the get go....  kinda like the hd500 Its got allot more options and technically it can sound allot better than the xt models but for my preference I Prefer the XT cause it sounds better right off the bat you dont' need to tweak the hell out of it to get it to sound good..

• Upvote 2

I just got my 59 and I upgraded to 2.0 today. It's completely broken now. All of the presets change randomly and I can't roll it back to a previous version. Every time I try to rollback it gives me a connection error. Is this type of thing what I should expect going forward? Maybe I should just return it. Any thoughts?

Must admit that, the Gibson Custom les paul sound was my favorite and I miss this one on my jtv. Also the acoustics on the 1.71 was way better. But the rest of the guitars are much more better on the 2.0 version.

Yeah I thought the accoustics were better before.  They sound kinda funny in 2.0 and the tone knob does not have much of a effect as it did with 1.9.  It almost sounds like its kinda over driven or too reverby.  Also for some reason some of the electrics seem to sound like the Tone knob is cocked a little bit ( very nasaly sounding with distortion tones).  Lester models especially..

• Upvote 1

You know I think they should have release 2.0 as a beta download..  That way people would have known how half baked this 2.0 update is..  When you lose functions ( no workbench through HDseries, have to use break out box).  Have a lesser sub par user experience (having to go through and change volumes, pickup configurations and individual string volumes.)  Just to make it usable.  Well that sounds Beta to me!!!!

Sorry just my two cents

• Upvote 2

i'm annoyed having to use the box too... but it was included with every guitar...

i've not had any of the volume issues that others have had...

not trying to argue, but i simply don't think your experience is typical...

why is it different? I don't know... 

i'm annoyed having to use the box too... but it was included with every guitar...

i've not had any of the volume issues that others have had...

not trying to argue, but i simply don't think your experience is typical...

why is it different? I don't know... 

Yeah from what I have read in the forums my experience seems typical otherwise there wouldn't be this thread.  If things went well for you thats good I gave it my college try.  I even went through tweeking all the settings trying to level out all the instruments the best I could.  Tried to get level string volumes through out the spank models, tried different bodys to make the spank sound more like it did in 1.9 but never could get it to resonate like it did with 1.9...  And the Semi models you can't tell me they sound better with 2.0 ( they don't have that woody hollowed tone at all).  But I must admit I loved the new tele sounds much better than the old ones.  And the accoustics sound really messed up (I don't know what they did to it cause they weren't even supposed to update them they were already HD)  To me they sound really kinda over driven or really reverby, and you can't get that really dry sound by rolling back the tone knob..  Don't take it the wrong way I have been using line6 since POD 1.0 and have always used line 6 since but to me they seem to be steppin backwards allot with there updates.  People want a set up that sounds and reacts like a real physical setup and it just doesn't cut it.  I have been comparing the physical pickups with the modeled stuff, what I notice allot lately is a nasty nasaly tone knob rolled back half way sounds with the lester models drives me nuts.  I may go through and see if I can fix it through workbench...   But you wanted to know my experience so there it is in a nut shell there has been other things bothering my about the set up but I have come accross solutions to fix them or I grew acustom to the problem..

• Upvote 2

this is not a "string volume issue" thread... i don't have that problem...

this thread is more about subjective preference.

i know you tried and it isnt working for you... i get it...

the subjective parts of your post are as valid as any other subjective opinion expressed here...

i just don't think that the volume issue is typical, i don't know what it would be, but since i've seen others that have the issue as well...

and i know many that have not... i tend to think that it's a hardware thing that only affects certain guitars....

based on no scientific data really... just what it appears to be.

(this is not a "string volume issue" thread... i don't have that problem...

this thread is more about subjective preference.)

There is more to my issues than just string volumes, And besides that is all part of the update ( I don't have the problem since I switched back) so I think string volumes would be relevent to this thread.. I think string volume issues would be as valid as any other subjective opinion if it is hampering my User experience..

• Upvote 1

that's my point... i don't think that string volume is subjective at all...

if you have the issue it's factual... and not a matter of opinion.

i don't have the issue... which is also factual...

I think you have a physical problem with the guitar, that made itself known only when the 2.0 update demanded more use from the internal resources...

i honestly don't think that an update will fix that... short of dumbing the new models down to use less resources (AKA lowering the quality)

the basis of this thread is more new models vs old models.

this thread isn't about anyone's user experience. 

(this is not a "string volume issue" thread... i don't have that problem...

this thread is more about subjective preference.)

There is more to my issues than just string volumes, And besides that is all part of the update ( I don't have the problem since I switched back) so I think string volumes would be relevent to this thread.. I think string volume issues would be as valid as any other subjective opinion if it is hampering my User experience..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

that's my point... i don't think that string volume is subjective at all...

if you have the issue it's factual... and not a matter of opinion.

i don't have the issue... which is also factual...

I think you have a physical problem with the guitar, that made itself known only when the 2.0 update demanded more use from the internal resources...

i honestly don't think that an update will fix that... short of dumbing the new models down to use less resources (AKA lowering the quality)

I get what you are saying due to the HD quality now its picking up some sort of artifact or defect in my guitar that is causing the drop in individual string volumes on certain models,  And variations in volume through out all the models when switching guitar models.  (that doesn't Sound right to me but thats what were here for throwing around Ideas)..  I thought the reason for this thread was to see who has rolled back and why?  I guess thats why we get different answers to different questions, our perspectives are different.  But thanks for your help

ps.  Also I admit our setups may be a culpret in the ordeal,  I use FRFR studio monitor head phones so I hear allot of stuff some who runs there gear through lets say a DT series amp is not gonna hear.  So someone else may have the problem also and not know it do to the limited range and coloration of a amp versus monitors..

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Zap, it's either us, or our pods, our interfaces, our setups, or even our guitars, but a firmware problem? No, that's impossible! because it works on some guitars so that's irrefutable proof that the firmware is fine...

Will you at least admit the possibility? Sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one, even with Line6 involved  :D 

In the past, there have been updates where the code was refined and optimized to run better in all units of a particular product without a change in sound, without dumbing anything down, and even so, if it required dumbing down the models, should we, who are having problems with the HD update, be left out?  left behind? Why not modify and even "trim" the models, if that's what's required for the firmware to run correctly in all units? We all are customers, we deserve the same treatment, if something is free, let us all have it for free, and have it working.

After trying to make it work for a few months, I had to roll back, but I don't want to settle for that because I loved certain aspects of the new firmware. I just want the same as you and others have, no more, no less.

If that were the case (and I don't think it is), and all the models had to be reduced in quality in the next update, those who already have a working HD JTV could stay in 2.0 if they wished.

Isn't that what we always say to each other in such cases?

• Upvote 2

if its the firmware i hope it gets fixed for you...

if it's your guitars... i hope line6 makes it right for you...

i'm not the enemy here...

i'm just good at troubleshooting, and the firmware does not seem to be the likely issue.... (although nothing is impossible)

Yes, Zap, it's either us, or our pods, our interfaces, our setups, or even our guitars, but a firmware problem? No, that's impossible! because it works on some guitars so that's irrefutable proof that the firmware is fine...
Will you at least admit the possibility? Sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one, even with Line6 involved  :D 

In the past, there have been updates where the code was refined and optimized to run better in all units of a particular product without a change in sound, without dumbing anything down, and even so, if it required dumbing down the models, should we, who are having problems with the HD update, be left out?  left behind? Why not modify and even "trim" the models, if that's what's required for the firmware to run correctly in all units? We all are customers, we deserve the same treatment, if something is free, let us all have it for free, and have it working.

After trying to make it work for a few months, I had to roll back, but I don't want to settle for that because I loved certain aspects of the new firmware. I just want the same as you and others have, no more, no less.

If that were the case (and I don't think it is), and all the models had to be reduced in quality in the next update, those who already have a working HD JTV could stay in 2.0 if they wished.
Isn't that what we always say to each other in such cases?

• Upvote 2

I think all our opinions about the old and new models are based on our experience as users, most of the content in these forums is based on our user experience... I don't get what you're getting at, sorry

Arislaf opened the thread and he didn't state which aspects of the models were to be discussed. Issues are as relevant as subjective tone and feel preferences

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had to roll back because I get a popping sound when swapping patches on my HD500 when connected via VDI and when the patch changes the JTV model.   On v1.71 fw I don't get any problem, and patches change silently, and the models on the JTV change silently.   I will be rolling forward one version at a time to see if I can identify which fw level introduced this popping and will then report to L6 via a support ticket.

I have another thread open documenting the problem: http://line6.com/support/topic/4801-jtv59-popping-noise-changing-models-though-hd500/

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrecting an older thread...wondering if the folks that rolled back stayed or updated their firmware to 2.00?

Since I am relatively new to the Variax thing (Oct 2012) I don't really at this point see a need to rollback, so can anyone tell me WHY I might want to? :huh:  

• Upvote 1

Since I am relatively new to the Variax thing (Oct 2012) I don't really at this point see a need to rollback, so can anyone tell me WHY I might want to? :huh:  

Some people think the pre-HD models sound better.

With all the problems people have had installing the HD firmware (some folks here ended up with bricked guitars) I really would not recommend making any changes up or down in firmware versions if you have a properly working JTV, at least not until Line6 works out the bugs.

• Upvote 2

Resurrecting an older thread...wondering if the folks that rolled back stayed or updated their firmware to 2.00?

If the v2.0 firmware is working fine for you then there is no reason to roll back.  

If you have never had experience with the pre-v2.0 releases then there is no comparison issue for you, so again, no reason to roll back, unless you are inquisitive and want to see for yourself what the pre-HD models sounded like, but be aware that the reflash process does not always go smoothly so if you try it ensure you do everything as recommended to minimise any risk of the operation fialing and having to be repeated numerous times.

If the v2.0 firmware has introduced a condition that you can't live with then you may want to roll back to a version without that condition. eg: for me it has introduced a loud popping noise when connected via VDI to HD500 and changing between patches that also force a model change on the JTV, this is not good for live use when changing patches mid song, so that has caused me to roll back to v1.9

For others, it has been the fact that you can no longer connect your JTV to workbench whilst connected to the HD500, you have to use the JTV USB dongle to connect to Workbench HD - that was loss of functionality which they considered important.

If you were accustomed to the model sounds from the earlier fw releases and had your live set tuned to those models, then the v2.0 models will cause you a problem because you will have to tweak everything to get back to something you like, and it may not be possible to reproduce exactly what you had because the actual model list has changed, some models have been replaced by other guitars with v2.0, plus well liked models like the Lester, Strat, Tele and Semi have been re-modelled possibly with different guitars and some now sound very different to the pre-v2.0 versions, so some people may try to tweak things to be more to their taste and may fail to get there, others may not want to be bothered, so to their ears the change has been "bad" and has not been an improvement as advertised and as expected by the HD association.  Some people had favourite models that were lost in the upgrade, so they had to choose whether to move on without those models or roll back to keep them.  For some, the new HD models were worth the sacrifice, but for others they were not.   Some people loved the new sounds immediately, others had to tweak them to get what they wanted, and others were met with what they thought sounded like "bad" and inferior model sounds, so moved straight back.

I think if the HD model set was a straight replacement for the pre-existing model set, just moving to better quality more realistic models of exactly the same guitars, then less people would have had issues. But the change was a combination of improved models possibly using different guitars, and completely new models nobody had before and losing some of the previous models.   Plus the actual installation of the fw is not always trouble free, even when following recommended instructions, so that puts people off immediately. Furthermore, there are known bugs that have still not been addressed.

Personally, I would like to move forward and stay on the latest and "greatest", but I have experienced the comparison "shock" in that the v2.0 HD models did not immediately live up to my expectations from hearing all the demo videos and in comparison to what I was accustomed to from my v1.71 model set, plus the confusion that the model list was not identical (not that I lost any favourite models, and not saying that some of the new models are not great additions to the selection, just that I had not realised it would be different), and I am frustrated by the inability to use Workbench HD when connected via my HD500, but the deal breaker was the fact that it introduced a loud popping sound when changing patches that forced model changes in the JTV from the HD500 when connected via VDI.    I am now back on v1.9 and have an open ticket with Line 6 support for the problem.  I am hoping they will address the issue, but given the fact that they have just been taken over by Yamaha, I am sure there are all sorts of things going off over there, and probably fixing bugs and releasing an update fw level is probably low on their list of priorities right now - which is a real shame.

Having said all of that, which I believe is a summary of all the issues I have seen reported, I am optimistic that these issues will be addressed in the fullness of time, I just wish they could fix them now!     :)

• Upvote 5

If the v2.0 firmware is working fine for you then there is no reason to roll back.

I wish I could give you a dozen reputation points for that incredibly helpful post. Thank you edstar1960 for summing that up so beautifully!

I did actually roll back to v1.19 for a while last night and played with my own favorite models (T-model, Spank, Lester, Chime) and also the acoustic models which have always seemed difficult to use effectively. I don't gig at present, but I am trying to pull together a solo looping act for open mics and such... Just because it is fun. I really didn't hear anything groundbreaking after about an hour or so, and so I rolled back without issue. Sounds like I am really glad I didn't hit any snags there. I haven't used the Variax workbench much, but when I did I was less than impressed by the process involved with the dongle thingie so if I get more involved with that, I may be tempted to roll back again. I have a POD HD500 as well, with a JTV59 but have had no popping issues.

Thanks again for the information, and if it isn't already stickied somewhere, perhaps it ought to be!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this was already raised in this thread, but I'm too lazy to read thru 6 pages of posts to find out. I've been running 2.0 since the guitar came out of the box a month ago. Wanted to try an earlier version just for a comparison. Rolled back to 1.9, and without touching a blessed thing on the HD500X, right away I noticed a HUGE increase in sustain across most models, but particularly all the Lesters. Notes ring for days now....I like it. Anybody else notice this?

Also enjoying the lack of popping when switching patches on the 500x. Think I'm gonna leave it on 1.9 for a while. Acoustic models may not be quite as convincing as 2.0 versions, but not bad enough to make me switch back. 

Apologies if this was already raised in this thread, but I'm too lazy to read thru 6 pages of posts to find out. I've been running 2.0 since the guitar came out of the box a month ago. Wanted to try an earlier version just for a comparison. Rolled back to 1.9, and without touching a blessed thing on the HD500X, right away I noticed a HUGE increase in sustain across most models, but particularly all the Lesters. Notes ring for days now....I like it. Anybody else notice this?

Also enjoying the lack of popping when switching patches on the 500x. Think I'm gonna leave it on 1.9 for a while. Acoustic models may not be quite as convincing as 2.0 versions, but not bad enough to make me switch back. 

Absolutely correct. The les paul had an awesome sustain, stratocaster also had longer than the 2.0 Version. I don't know what is the normal, though, but for sustain and some guitars is better the pre HD , I could say / choose the 1.71. for the acoustics. But since I have a variax of 1st gen, I keep my jtv on 2.0

The HD acoustic models were first introduced with 1.8 so 1.9 versions should be the same as 2.0.

I have seen other people in other threads report sustain being far better on 1.9 than 2.0 for Lester and Strat models.

I think the fully implemented HD "engine" gave the models a little bump...

but they are indeed the same models as you've stated...

some people notice the difference, not quite as dramatic as 1.7 vs 1.8+

but not imagined either. :)

The HD acoustic models were first introduced with 1.8 so 1.9 versions should be the same as 2.0.
I have seen other people in other threads report sustain being far better on 1.9 than 2.0 for Lester and Strat models.

I think the fully implemented HD "engine" gave the models a little bump...

but they are indeed the same models as you've stated...

some people notice the difference, not quite as dramatic as 1.7 vs 1.8+

but not imagined either. :)

Thanks for pointing that out. Yes the new HD engine code must make a difference, and it may be subtle, but it must be there. Same models but upgraded engine code.

• 7 months later...

Reading this post with a lot of interest. Had my first rehearsal with my JTV-69. I had updated it to version 2.0 and was running into my XTLive . Just so you know..my basis for comparison was my old Variax 300 which I've been playing for the past 7 years and so I am very familiar with what the 300's models sound like thru the XTLive rig.. I was profoundly disturbed by the sound of several of the models on the JTV-69. So much so I thought something was broken.The Strat seemed so thin in contrast to the 300. The Chime settings did not jump out as much. The Lester sounded great but it would occasionally go thin on me....requiring me to quickly switch to the Strat and then back in order to restore the fullness.

I really thought something was broken with the guitar. Now....reading thru this post it seems like it might be an issue with 2.0 itself. I do have a POD HD500 and I will try to re-flash the guitar thru it rather than the USB interface. But from the input on this post it would seem like the solution might well be rolling back to 1.9.

Any further ideas or thoughts on this? Could it be the XTLive not playing nice with the 69? I did have the XTLive updated to the latest current drivers....

this thread is very old... 2.1 has since been released... many of the real "issues" have been addressed with the newer release...

any subjective issues will continue to exist... being personal preference....

although there is always the possibility of a bad flash, poor setup, or other hardware issues, etc that may affect the expected performance.

Reading this post with a lot of interest. Had my first rehearsal with my JTV-69. I had updated it to version 2.0 and was running into my XTLive . Just so you know..my basis for comparison was my old Variax 300 which I've been playing for the past 7 years and so I am very familiar with what the 300's models sound like thru the XTLive rig.. I was profoundly disturbed by the sound of several of the models on the JTV-69. So much so I thought something was broken.The Strat seemed so thin in contrast to the 300. The Chime settings did not jump out as much. The Lester sounded great but it would occasionally go thin on me....requiring me to quickly switch to the Strat and then back in order to restore the fullness.

I really thought something was broken with the guitar. Now....reading thru this post it seems like it might be an issue with 2.0 itself. I do have a POD HD500 and I will try to re-flash the guitar thru it rather than the USB interface. But from the input on this post it would seem like the solution might well be rolling back to 1.9.

Any further ideas or thoughts on this? Could it be the XTLive not playing nice with the 69? I did have the XTLive updated to the latest current drivers....

• Upvote 1

The volume level of many of the guitars is quite a bit lower in JTV 2.x than in previous JTV/Variax versions.

In my experience, that's what causes the "thinner" sounds. Without tweaking any patches on my HD500, many of my sounds are completely ruined after updating the JTV to 2.1. BUT after increasing the amp gain or inserting a boost pedal model to compensate, I actually like the 2.x sounds better than the older ones.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps I should elaborate....while the Strat sounds with the bridge and middle pickup activated  was noticeably thinner and not quieter... (again..comparing it to 7 years of hearing the Variax 300 strat...)... at some points mid song or solo, the sound  got even "thinner" . My 2 band mates even noticed and commented on it... was that dramatic....so it wasn't just my  subjective perception.

Very concerning because I use the Strat Sounds for a good portion of my set list and at present...they are not  usable.  I'll have to check the version of the Variax...it could well have been on 2.1...I thought it was 2.0...I don't recall at the moment. But whatever firmware version it was on there were a number of things happening that had not been happening before.