Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A Hidden Feature - file name versus preset name

DunedinDragon

I stumbled across something interesting this week.  I normally export my patches individually into a directory on my PC.  I build my patches based on which one of my guitars will be used on it (Les Paul, Strat, Tele, Gretsch).  However I sometimes forget which guitar goes with a given patch so I decided I would start saving each patch (which is normally the name of a song) with a suffix such as -strat, -tele, -lp, or -gretsch.  Mind you, I didn't rename the patch itself, I just changed the default name of the patch when the Windows "Save As" dialogue box came up.

What I noticed this morning is that if I restore a patch named "MyPatch" but saved as "MyPatch-strat", the name on the Helix is still "MyPatch".  I assume that's because I didn't actually rename the patch so the patch name that's stored in the file is the one used by the Helix regardless of the file name under which it was saved.  Some might see this as a bug, but for me I was elated...it's a new feature on my Helix I didn't know about!!  It's almost like having a hidden memo field for the patch for performance notes.

In my case I don't actually need the guitar used on the patch to be displayed on the Helix.  I just need to be reminded which one is to be used when I'm loading up the setlist.  I guess if my memory gets worse I can always rename the patch with the suffix and it will be displayed for me.  But I guess this just goes to show that one man's bug is another man's feature....   :lol:

I stumbled across something interesting this week.  I normally export my patches individually into a directory on my PC.  I build my patches based on which one of my guitars will be used on it (Les Paul, Strat, Tele, Gretsch).  However I sometimes forget which guitar goes with a given patch so I decided I would start saving each patch (which is normally the name of a song) with a suffix such as -strat, -tele, -lp, or -gretsch.  Mind you, I didn't rename the patch itself, I just changed the default name of the patch when the Windows "Save As" dialogue box came up.

What I noticed this morning is that if I restore a patch named "MyPatch" but saved as "MyPatch-strat", the name on the Helix is still "MyPatch".  I assume that's because I didn't actually rename the patch so the patch name that's stored in the file is the one used by the Helix regardless of the file name under which it was saved.  Some might see this as a bug, but for me I was elated...it's a new feature on my Helix I didn't know about!!  It's almost like having a hidden memo field for the patch for performance notes.

In my case I don't actually need the guitar used on the patch to be displayed on the Helix.  I just need to be reminded which one is to be used when I'm loading up the setlist.  I guess if my memory gets worse I can always rename the patch with the suffix and it will be displayed for me.  But I guess this just goes to show that one man's bug is another man's feature....   :lol:

That is great! I may do this and keep my guitar specific patches segregated by 1-10 = strat, 11-20 = tele, etc...