54 replies to this topic

#1 museeip

museeip

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

I may be missing something here but after several attempts to find a preset list on the internet for my POD HD500 has come up empty. It seems that Line6 does not have one. Come on Line6 that is PATHETIC!!!

You guys created the presets, would it have been that hard to write them down!!! I love Line6 products and own a ton but this kind of lack of support is incredibly frustrating. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE write down a list of your presets that mention the amp, cab, and effects. PLEASE!!! It takes forever to go through all the presets and move the little cursor over to find out what effects are in it, having to mess with your volume for every patch. It's a nightmare!

#2 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14802 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

The presets are just to show off some of the capabilities... noone really uses them.. nor should you... the name of the preset gives you an idea and that's about it.

to my knowledge the list you seek simply does not exist. the presets were not put together as some sort of ultimate formula... they were just created on the fly so that the unit didn't ship empty... in my opinion.

why not try to enjoy the device more and worry less...

load it up with tones that you might enjoy from http://customtone.com and dive in.

#3 Rewolf48

Rewolf48

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

To see what is in the presets it is much easier to use HD Edit than the screen on the POD...

The presets list has also changed with firmware versions - for example when the Flip Top Amp was added some bass presets appeared replacing some earlier ones and they all moved around.

Assuming that you chose to overwrite the presets when you upgraded otherwise you still have the earlier presets, so you might have the presets from a much older firmware version: there is no definitive list

#4 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11094 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

You guys created the presets, would it have been that hard to write them down!!!...

You're right - it's probably not that hard. And using HD Edit makes it rather simple as Rewolf48 points out. So it sounds simple - why not create your preset list yourself? And if you're feeling generous you could post it here for the benefit of others who, like yourself, may feel that it's important. And don't forget to maintain separate versions of it for each firmware release.

That would be great - and shouldn't take you long at all by your own estimation.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#5 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

.. And don't forget to maintain separate versions of it for each firmware release...

That would be great - and shouldn't take you long at all by your own estimation.

:lol:  :rolleyes:  :lol:  that's the best part of your reply :lol: :o :lol:

#6 Mr_Arkadin

Mr_Arkadin

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 2553 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:24 AM

I love First World problems. Yeah, it's a real nightmare, I actually didn't get any sleep thinking about this huge issue.

#7 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

we must resolve this outrageous oversight with the utmost urgency. i'll have my people contact your people and together we will triumph over line6's atrocity. :angry:  

I'M SO HAPPY!

#8 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14802 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:54 AM

I get that his approach was a little bit over the top....

but he had a legitimate question... everyone be nice :)

#9 guitarno

guitarno

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

Well, the responses may have been a little rude, but OMG, I was LMAO to put it in internet jargon! You guys made my day! Hilarious! The OP had a point though, it would be handy as a reference to have a layout or roadmap of how the factory patches were built, just for educational purposes. I really think that most "Factory" patches in almost all effects devices are pure junk, and mostly unusable (the HD500X is no exception), but they are mostly created to show capabilities of what you can do, not practical patches for you to plug into your setlist unaltered.

It sounds like he's using the interface on the hardware unit. Using HD Edit is much easier to understand what is going on, at least for me. I have to learn the hardware interface too, so I can change things on the fly, but I don't see making patches from scratch on the unit itself as being very practical. I would probably only make small adjustments on the hardware as needed, but you do have to know how to get to what you need to change to do that.

Has anyone ever put together an excel spreadsheet with all the settings (amp & stompbox choices, parameter values, ...) for the HD500? I'm afraid I don't have the excel skills or time to do this, but I have seen it done for other units. It would be a lot of work to put one together. I don't know that you really need one, if you're using HD Edit, but I was curious if there was one already out there somewhere. They can be a good visual learning tool.

#10 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14802 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:52 AM

uh huh

dBNKQ.gif

Well, the responses may have been a little rude, but OMG, I was LMAO to put it in internet jargon! You guys made my day! Hilarious! The OP had a point though, it would be handy as a reference to have a layout or roadmap of how the factory patches were built, just for educational purposes. I really think that most "Factory" patches in almost all effects devices are pure junk, and mostly unusable (the HD500X is no exception), but they are mostly created to show capabilities of what you can do, not practical patches for you to plug into your setlist unaltered.

It sounds like he's using the interface on the hardware unit. Using HD Edit is much easier to understand what is going on, at least for me. I have to learn the hardware interface too, so I can change things on the fly, but I don't see making patches from scratch on the unit itself as being very practical. I would probably only make small adjustments on the hardware as needed, but you do have to know how to get to what you need to change to do that.

Has anyone ever put together an excel spreadsheet with all the settings (amp & stompbox choices, parameter valuse, ...) for the HD500? I'm afraid I don't have the excel skills or time to do this, but I have seen it done for other units. It would be a lot of work to put one together. I don't know that you really need one, if you're using HD Edit, but I was curious if there was one already out there somewhere. They can be a good visual learning tool.

#11 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

Has anyone ever put together an excel spreadsheet with all the settings (amp & stompbox choices, parameter values, ...) for the HD500? I'm afraid I don't have the excel skills or time to do this, but I have seen it done for other units. It would be a lot of work to put one together. I don't know that you really need one, if you're using HD Edit, but I was curious if there was one already out there somewhere. They can be a good visual learning tool.

Indeed, somebody has.I will upload it today or tomorrow.

#12 guitarno

guitarno

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

Excellent!  :D    B) You Rock! B)    That would be a huge help in trying to learn the HD500's layout, signal chain & components.

#13 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

Excellent!  :D    B) You Rock! B)    That would be a huge help in trying to learn the HD500's layout, signal chain & components.

Sorry mate, my mistake.It is adobe not excel...

Attached Files

#14 guitarno

guitarno

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

That's OK. This is very helpful! Anything that helps show the different choices available in the modules helps me to begin to wrap my mind around it. Thanks for posting this! :D

#15 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

Welcome! Now for that one , I am not sure if it gonna help you, but it's worth to check it out. http://line6.com/dat...h ( Rev B ).pdf

I know that pod has also a similar manual, but this is more organized, and since it is the same effects, I prefer this.

#16 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11094 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

There's also the Pod HD Model Gallery PDF in the Product Manuals section.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#17 museeip

museeip

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

Ok, everybody had their fun??? Clearly most of you have more time to spend navigating your POD HD's than I do. When I am recording and I "need" a certain tone I wish I could just look at a sheet..."oh, Fender Twin with delay...go to patch 13D...etc." I agree that Edit would speed things up but when I'm running Calkwalk I don't connect the USB to the POD because then Calkwalk defaults to the POD as the sound card, and this still requires me to load every preset to see what amps/effects are in it. 

Not sure I estimated how long it would take, but ok...

The presets are just to show off some of the capabilities... noone really uses them.. nor should you... the name of the preset gives you an idea and that's about it.

I am aware and I'm not intending to use any presets but they would be a good place to start. I'm sorry but the names do not give a description of what amps and effects are in each preset...they are useless. When I am inspired musically I don't want to stop that creative process to play with my POD for 30 minutes, I just want to find a patch, tweak it a little and record. 

My point is this, someone at Line 6 took an enormous amount of time to create all those presets. The fact they did not write that down to include in the manual or on the website is, as I said pathetic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Line 6 fan and I've owned many devices since their inception. You would be hard pressed to find a bigger advocate for Line 6 than me, but little things like this are upsetting. I've had so many guitarist tell me that Line 6 sucks and that is because if you are not familiar with Line 6 it's hard to try something at a music store and get a feel for it. As the Real Zap stated, most of the presets are junk so just flipping through them would leave a bad taste with most guitarists. Imagine how many more devices they could sell if they just had a list of what amps are on what presets. Seems simple, but based on the comments I guess I'm asking for too much.

#18 museeip

museeip

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

I love First World problems. Yeah, it's a real nightmare, I actually didn't get any sleep thinking about this huge issue.

we must resolve this outrageous oversight with the utmost urgency. i'll have my people contact your people and together we will triumph over line6's atrocity. :angry:  

I see you guys are satisfied with getting 90% there on the products you purchase. I expect more from a company like Line 6.

#19 Mr_Arkadin

Mr_Arkadin

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 2553 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Wow, you're really upset by this. I don't think most people care because they don't use the presets. Rename them to something you find useful and print out the list, really not that difficult.

I doubt Line 6 are losing sales as you suggest because there isn't a list of preset names.

#20 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

..My point is this, someone at Line 6 took an enormous amount of time to create all those presets. The fact they did not write that down to include in the manual or on the website is, as I said pathetic...

given the general included presets quality I would rather think they made them in 5 minutes.. at least I hope so, because on the contrary I would seriously worry for them.. the last thing I would want is the list of those horrible patches..

rather what for me probably took really an enourmous amount of time (as you say) was all the modelling of the amps and FXs.. and that part is absolutely superb..

believe me, the faster and better way to get some good results with this device is to do any sound from scratch..

think as you were in a room with 20 real amps and a lot of effects.. and start to connect them, turn the knobs and move things until you are happy with the sounds, when you get some good results save them and go ahead this way.. in a little time you'll collect something you really like..

and going forward don't forget to make a list of what you've done already.. just in case! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users