36 replies to this topic

#1 Guitarathome

Guitarathome

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

Hi, I have been a line 6 user and fan for going on ten years. I have bought "and sold" so much of their gear over the years. I remember how excited I was when The Pod HD500 came out I was one of the first to get one. I did like it, but after messing around with it for a few months I sold it because something just was not right about it. Well since then and this is no joke I bought and returned or sold 5 more HD500s each time hopeing it was just my poor operation or something I was missing and I would some how bring it to life and meet my expectations, but that never happened. "I always felt there was something wrong with the mixer and signal chain"

Then the HD500X came out and yes of course I'm a sucker and I ordered one. There is no way you can tell me they did not change something because out of the box with no effort or programing I was blown away and instantly had the sound I expected all along. I could be wrong, but I think they made some clear improvements to the signal chain or "something"?

Either way it does not matter I am happy now. Thank you Line 6 I am a happy customer and have always been a loyal customer even through the ups "x3, pod farm, DT25..." and downs "PODhd500". OH and I will keep the 500x no returns on this one!

#2 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:48 AM

..this is no joke I bought and returned or sold 5 more HD500s each time hopeing it was just my poor operation or something I was missing and I would some how bring it to life and meet my expectations, but that never happened. "I always felt there was something wrong with the mixer and signal chain"

Then the HD500X came out and yes of course I'm a sucker and I ordered one. There is no way you can tell me they did not change something because out of the box with no effort or programing I was blown away and instantly had the sound I expected all along. I could be wrong, but I think they made some clear improvements to the signal chain or "something" and they are not advertiseing it because they would have to admit something was wrong with the first version. Am I all alone on this or did anyone else see a big differance?

my opinion.. without nastiness

1) I think you probably need a doctor to help you

2) the big differences you hear are just in your mind

3) you have to thank rather all the money you have to throw away for your compulsive experiments

#3 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:09 AM

3) you have to thank rather all the money you have to throw away for your compulsive experiments

+1

#4 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2713 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:18 AM

something must be lost in the translation because it sounds pretty nasty to me

I'M SO HAPPY!

#5 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:00 AM

something must be lost in the translation because it sounds pretty nasty to me

sometimes I might be too direct
but I assure you that there is no nastiness on my part, only friendly sincerity

Unfortunately, compulsive shopping is a real problem that exists and must be recognized and taken care of, certainly not by me, but by a competent person

it is amazing under the influence of suggestion as you can convince yourself of things that are not true, and act accordingly

#6 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

..and also I would not exclude the possibility that the initial message was an underhanded advertising idea to convince us (missing the X people) to switch to the X factor..

most probably I'm wrong
but you never know

#7 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:59 AM

Sometimes the truth hurts.

#8 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:04 AM

..and also I would not exclude the possibility that the initial message was an underhanded advertising idea to convince us (missing the X people) to switch to the X factor..

most probably I'm wrong
but you never know

Well said! 

#9 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14795 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:06 AM

I have the 500 and the pro x, no difference between them... maybe you're ears are just in a better place now? :)

#10 Akeron

Akeron

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

most probably I'm wrong
but you never know

An effective marketing strategy! :lol:

#11 bjnette

bjnette

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

Sounds like you work in a music shop steve!

#12 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

Maybe they improved the quality of the input impedance. A long time ago I switched from the HD300, that doesn't have input impedance, to the HD500 and the sound was definitely better on HD500. Now I also have Eleven Rack and that sounds better than both. It's worth mentioning that AXE FX one didn't have input impedance but AXE II has it. A change in the input hardware can change the feel and sound significantly.

#13 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

..Maybe they improved the quality of the input impedance...

IMHO there were several other things which might eventually require an improvement prior to the input impedance
I think it would be useless here to redo a list of all the major requests done by the users, by now we know probably all of them by heart, and I don't remember having ever heard of possible improvements to the input impedance
, which is probably the last thing we could need

furthermore in case you are a variax user it would be completely useless since it doesn't apply at all through the VDI

#14 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

Sometimes improvement or degradation is unintentional. The reason behind the HD 500X getting a new Chip 25% faster is that the supplier could no longer supply the same chips according to what I I read somewhere here in this forum. When physical hardware changes even if slightly (not the DSP chip),  analog hardware  input and outputs variations can lead to some very clear discernible difference in sound that could be perceived as being better or worse depending on the user. If you don't believe this all you have to do is change one of the tone/ pots to a different brand or size.

#15 sosmusic

sosmusic

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

I think a side by side test of the two units would be the best way to shed some light on this debate, or perhaps give us all some concrete answers. Anybody on here have boths units in their possesion ?

#16 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

..Anybody on here have boths units in their possesion ?..

some posts above here Zap already stated that there is no difference between the 500 and Pro X..

http://line6.com/sup...per/#entry18831

#17 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

I'm actually not debating. Most likely they sound identical and should there be any slight variation it would very likely be insignificant. 

#18 GodinSession

GodinSession

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

To the original OP.  I too have been through three HD500's, same experience, mostly frustrated and returned them inside the 30 day return period.  Well a week ago, I got the 500x, and love it.  I mostly attribute this to the fact that I'm just smarter now with modelers.  I have had enough of them now to be able to get around on them.  I think when I had the 500's before, I would always use presets and try and tweek those.  This time round, I don't even think I've tried a single preset.  I started with a clean slate, making my own patches.  Also at least in my case, is that I have much better results with my strat and tele than my LP.  It seems to me that lower output vintage pups seem to work better than humbuckers.  At least for me it has been easier getting desirable low to mid gain tones.  My strat with Fralin Vintage Hots, into the Dr Z, or Park Models, with a touch of reverb has been fantastic.  Love the tone!

Perhaps some of the upgrades Line 6 has put out since the last HD500 I've had has helped also.  All I know, that like the OP, the 500x is a keeper, it will not be returned like the other 3 HD500's I tried in the past....

#19 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11092 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

....This time round, I don't even think I've tried a single preset.  I started with a clean slate, making my own patches.  Also at least in my case, is that I have much better results with my strat and tele than my LP.  It seems to me that lower output vintage pups seem to work better than humbuckers.  ..

I think you're smart to start creating your own patches. That's when you really begin to understand how to get tones you like.

Also, have you tried using the PAD switch on the HD500x when using your LP?

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#20 Guitarathome

Guitarathome

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

I am sorry I did not consider the effects my post would have on the expert HD500 users I did not intend to offend anyone, and no doubt some of you have figured out how to make them work wonders. I just wanted to report my experiance. I know there are a million different ways to use them, and the reason I bought so many of them was because wanted it to work for me, and I never gave up. As I read more about new ideas I would buy in again and give them a try. Also I don't believe any of the amp models or effects sound any different from the original the difference for me has been feel, dynamics.

I have a M13 and when I connect it useing the 4 cable method to my amp I loose very little of the original feel and dynamics of the amp by its self. When I used the HD500 in the same manner the dynamics and feel of the amp were clearly reduced and after months of trying I could never get that worked out.  Now when I hooked up the HD500X it plays and feels exactly like my M13 right out of the box. For me the M13 rocked without any work and so did the 500X. This is only my observation I have not done a side by side test. I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar experiance. I am not a 500 basher I have always been a fan thats why I kept trying.

Again sorry to all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users