Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix as interface, can I record 8 channels simultaneously?

mortenbach

Hi!

Yesterday we wanted to do a quick demo recording of our band in our rehearsal room before hitting a studio in october. But, I couldn't figure out how to get 8 simultaneous inputs working.

Here's what I managed to do:

By setting the input of the first signal path to 'return 1/2' (and the output to USB 1/2), the input of the second signal path to 'return 3/4' (and the output to USB 3/4), and using the 'guitar in', We got 5 simultaneous inputs working (1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 which the 'guitar in' is routed to).

But when I plugged a dynamic mic directly to the 'mic in' I didn't get anything on channel 8 - this should work, right? Maybe it was a faulty cable?

Is there a physical input I can route to outputs USB 5/6?

You can record all eight USB channels simultaneously, but there are some caveats. One is that for all the USB pairs other than USB 1/2, you won't have hardware direct monitoring available. The other issue is the USB 7 & 8 will always be reserved for a dry track (you can choose what the input for each is in Global Settings>Ins/Outs.

As far as USB 3/4 and 5/6, you can simply select those as the output in the output block. Like I said, though, you lose hardware monitoring when you select these. If you want to add a physical output to these paths, you can insert a send block right before the output block.

Hi!

Yesterday we wanted to do a quick demo recording of our band in our rehearsal room before hitting a studio in october. But, I couldn't figure out how to get 8 simultaneous inputs working.

Here's what I managed to do:

By setting the input of the first signal path to 'return 1/2' (and the output to USB 1/2), the input of the second signal path to 'return 3/4' (and the output to USB 3/4), and using the 'guitar in', We got 5 simultaneous inputs working (1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 which the 'guitar in' is routed to).

But when I plugged a dynamic mic directly to the 'mic in' I didn't get anything on channel 8 - this should work, right? Maybe it was a faulty cable?

Is there a physical input I can route to outputs USB 5/6?

There are 7 easily accessible inputs on Helix:

Return 1

Return 2

Return 3

Return 4

Guitar In

Mic In

Aux In

I think to get an 8th input you'd either need to use the variax input or go in via the SPDIF if you have a device like an old DAT machine or something lying around with an AD converter and digital out you could use.

Ah! I didn't think I needed to to use the SPDIF. I'll look through all my old gear. I think I have a Roland V880 somewhere. Or perhaps I can use my tc electronics G-force. Thanks!

And I don't need hardware monitoring at all. I just want to record the band as we play on full blown volume in the rehearsal room. 

Thank you for your answers (sorry I can't mark both as best answer).