Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

abaxe

Just looking for recommendations on what is a good speaker to plug directly into with the helix for example signal chain guitar into Helix direct into powered speaker. Whether it be for a small gig or just practicing at home.

Thanks

Lots of good powered FRFR speakers out there for Helix.  I like the Line 6 Firehawk 1500, and the Atomic CLR. I also use a pair of older Mackie HR824's in the studio. Of course Line 6 makes some nice powered speakers specifically for this too. It's really how much you want to spend and what you will be satisfied with in the end.

For home use, any of the many reasonably priced near field powered Studio Monitors are exceptional! The majority of these, however, lack grille covers and are not robustly construced for gig use. Thus, for gigs the speakers are at risk. You may wish to consider a set of 8" or 10" powered FRFR Monitors that provide physical protection for the transducers. Exceptional speakers are offered by Yamaha, QSC, Line 6, JBL and others. Most of these also have DSP to address different applications. As others have already pointed out it all comes down to your budget, and size and weight of the Monitors.

For near field use I use a set of JBL LSR308 Studio Monitor. Otherwise, my normal system with the Helix is a pair of Yamaha DXR10 FRFR Monitors.

In this area budget is everything.  I've spent almost as much if not more on speakers than I spent on the Helix itself.  For live use I use a Yamaha DXR12 and for studio use I have Yamaha HS7's.  After many years of being a sound man and working with all sorts of powered speakers I would definitely tell you that you get what you pay for in the area of powered speakers either in the studio or live.

There are tons of threads about this, with many opinions, worth checking out.

You might also want to make the thread title more descriptive. This whole section of the forum is about the Helix. :)

It's not just lower tuning it may also be the type of guitar and genre.  I use 12's because I commonly play a hollow body Gretsch guitar, often playing jazz as well as finger picked Chet Atkins style.  A 10 doesn't really reflect the body in the tone like a 12 does.  So I really think this is one of those areas where you have to examine your specific needs for how you specifically play.

It depends, in my experience, in the space you have more than anything.

I prefer something even SMALLER (my FRFR is a coax 8" FBT), but 10s and 12s seem to be the norm. I hate carrying huge heavy stuff, so 10 and smaller for me...