Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Few questions about making a live patch

Henry24foREVer

At the moment I don't have an amp or any speaker to plug my pod into so I can't test my patch out with a high volume, and I have practice next week so I don't want to waste everyone's time trying to figure out which settings to adjust....

so is there a way to raise the volume on the patch and keep the same tone that you currently have?

if not, then which settings(mids, gain, bass, etc..) should i start adjusting? higher or lower?

I'm going to be plugging in the pod into the system, on the XLR out, should I be plugging it on both left and right or is plugging it in on one side fine?

Is there a certain setting, besides the amp volume, that should be the same on all the patches in order to keep the same volume on all of them.

Hi Henry,

When you plug only into one of the XLR outputs then you'll only get 1/2 of the stereo signal. That may or may not be a problem for you. I do it all the time (since I only have 1 run to our PA system). If you're last FX sums to mono then you know you won't be losing anything, but I don't fret about it. It works good enough for the audience. If you DO decide to use both XLR outputs, do not connect them together into a single line to the PA. You'll need to run them both into two PA inputs.

Regarding changing volume without affecting, the best was is to manually adjust the Master Volume control knob on the unit. I often have to do this to give the PA the level they want.

Regarding keeping the volume the same between patches, that will have to be done within the patch. The Studio EQ has clean gain. It won;t change your tone any (unless you start using the EQ part).

A word of warning. Whenever I adjust the patches via headphones (which I assume you use since you have no amp or speakers), it never sounds quite right live. I need to increase the "dirt". Subtle effects discernible on headphones get lost when playing live. The nuances are not nearly as important when playing live.

so is there a way to raise the volume on the patch and keep the same tone that you currently have?

Simply put, no. Our perception of different frequency ranges varies drastically with changes in volume...that's how our brains work. It's got nothing to do with gear settings, and can't be avoided. A patch at living room volume will never sound the same at stage volume no matter what you do.

You need to tweak your patches as close to stage volume as possible...no one can tell you what you'll need to adjust, or by how much, without hearing the mix. Much of it will depend on what other instruments there are, and how loud the band is accustomed to playing. The more instruments you have sharing the same sonic space (especially a second guitar), the tougher it is to be heard when everything cranks up. Two guitars with similar tones can easily wash each other out...it's a balancing act.