Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

recording in iOS Garageband

SLICK_strain

OK so I've read a couple of posts about people recording HELIX output using the CCK and an iPad or iPhone.

Tried this myself last night and ran into a bit of a snag.

iPhone 6s running iOS 10.3.3. connected to HELIX LT 2.21 monitoring thru headphones connected to the helix headphone OP.

Opening Garage band on the iPhone with a backing track on track 1.

Added a 2nd track and select input 1 + 2 as the input.

On the HELIX I can hear both the backing track and the 'live guitar'

I get no signal level from the HEMIX on track 2. This is confirmed when I record and there is just a blank region.

Oddly I can record into other apps, twisted wave audio editor , loopy and AUM see a reasonable level on the input monitor and I can record and play back no problem.

So I'm pretty sure everything is setup physically OK.

I tried changing the sample rate of the HELIX to 44.1 as well but made no difference.

I managed to get a little tiny signal into Garage band by pushing the HELIX through AUM and then feeding the output of AUM into the track but the level was miniscule.

What Gives? Is there a setting GB that I missed?

Never had any issue recording into GarageBand using the Roland Duo EX.

• 7 months later...
On 8/9/2017 at 1:34 PM, SLICK_strain said:

OK so I've read a couple of posts about people recording HELIX output using the CCK and an iPad or iPhone.

Tried this myself last night and ran into a bit of a snag.

iPhone 6s running iOS 10.3.3. connected to HELIX LT 2.21 monitoring thru headphones connected to the helix headphone OP.

Opening Garage band on the iPhone with a backing track on track 1.

Added a 2nd track and select input 1 + 2 as the input.

On the HELIX I can hear both the backing track and the 'live guitar'

I get no signal level from the HEMIX on track 2. This is confirmed when I record and there is just a blank region.

Oddly I can record into other apps, twisted wave audio editor , loopy and AUM see a reasonable level on the input monitor and I can record and play back no problem.

So I'm pretty sure everything is setup physically OK.

I tried changing the sample rate of the HELIX to 44.1 as well but made no difference.

I managed to get a little tiny signal into Garage band by pushing the HELIX through AUM and then feeding the output of AUM into the track but the level was miniscule.

What Gives? Is there a setting GB that I missed?

Never had any issue recording into GarageBand using the Roland Duo EX.

Hi, Several months have passed now, don’t know if this is helping now, but I think I have an answer to your problem: use the app MultiTrack DAW within GarageBand. 

Recently I dug into the same issue and found an advice here on the forum: MulitTrack Daw is simple and can record usb 1/2 and usb 7 for reamping purposes if needed. Found this in here:

Now when recording in GB (connect headphone on iPad, not on Helix) choose MT Daw as your input of a track and set it to Master Out within GB. You will now be able to record a wet Helix signal into GB - accompanied by a backing track. I haven’t figured out if it is possible to record a dry and a wet signal of the guitar in GB, don’t think it is, but I am sure that it is possible in MT Daw itself (cause I’ve tried this). Can’t remember if I was able to reamp in MT Daw, but thats another issue and was not your question.

So it is possible to use a Camera Connection Kit (CCK) with Helix and iPad/iPhone and record a wet guitar signal into GarageBand (which contains a backing track) using MT Daw set to Master Out within GarageBand.

An alternative route is to use headhone out (Helix) into Guitar/audio interface (connected to iPhone/iPad), you then don’t use the Camera Connection Kit, and you will need an ios audio interface (and of course a proper cable for connecting purposes).