Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix rack for effects Kemper for amps

guitarguy107

I am loving my Helix rack but I would love to use my Helix rack with my Kemper to get the amp tones not in the Helix. Basically I want the best of both worlds and all they can both offer. But I dont like the Kemper effects. Can anyone explain how to intergrate the two so I can change the Kemper amp head profiles via midi? I am using the non powered Kemper and Helix rack into powered studio monitors. Thank you.

I don't know much about the Kemper, but it seems kinda basic that you would run the Kemper on one of the Helix's FX Loops.  IOW, connect one of the FX sends to an input on the Kemper, and an output on the Kemper to the corresponding FX return.  You'll want to make Kemper patches that are just an Amp model with no FX.  Now on the Helix, you could use that FX Loop block instead of the Helix's amp model blocks.  Don't forget to go into Helix settings to set the Loop to the appropriate levels (instrument/line), depending on the Kemper input outputs you are using.

As for MIDI, there are a couple of options.  If you are using a MIDI foot controller, you might be able to program it to control both the Helix and Kemper.  In this case, you would put the Helix and Kemper on different Midi channels, and program your foot controller to send the appropriate commands to both devices on that devices channel.  You're foot controller could plug into one of the devices, then connect the Midi Out/Midi Thru of that device to the Midi In of the other device.  If using a Midi Out, make sure the settings have Midi Thru turned on.

If you are using the Helix controller, or just not using a Midi Foot controller, you can connect the Midi Out of the Helix to the Midi In of the Kemper.  I would still put the Kemper on a different MIDI channel to the Helix.  Now you would go into the Helix's Command Center, and for each preset put in the MIDI commands to control the Kemper.  Probably what you will want is a Program Change message on the Kemper's MIDI channel, in one of the Instant Access spots. But all kinds of things are possible. You can have the Kemper change with snapshots, you could have a stomp switch that changes a setting on the Kemper, or you could possibly even control amp settings on the Kemper with a Expression Pedal.