#1 nickinfrance

nickinfrance

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:42 AM

Dear all,

A question to all out there who are using the Heil rc35 capsule.

I recently purchased one after hearing great things, to go on one of my xd v70 transmitters but im finding it quite tricky. The problems I'm having are as follows:

1. I'm having to turn the gain up at the mixing desk considerably higher than with the line 6 capsule. As a result I'm hearing a lot of noise.

2. Unless the singers lips are actually touching the basket whilst singing we are struggling to get sound out of it! Just backing off an inch and its like we have a noise gate on the channel.

3. As a result of point 2 I'm finding that the proximity effect is so strong it's ruining what we were trying to achieve by purchasing the capsule. I.e delicate, articulated top end.

The company I bought the capsule from is telling me that this is completely normal with this capsule but to me there is a problem here.

Would welcome people's comments!

Thankyou.

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

I don't understand what's happening here at all...

...Just backing off an inch and its like we have a noise gate on the channel...

...as I would have thought that a possible increase of the output level at the receiver was all that you might need to do, provided that your receiver has been flashed (via Line 6 Monkey) with the latest firmware, like my eight V70 receivers.

You may find this discussion from the archive useful http://line6.com/sup...ew/thread/78082

#3 nickinfrance

nickinfrance

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for the reply Ron. The 70's I've got are the original firmware so it's worth a go to upgrade the firmware in them. Just need to track down some 75's from somewhere to do it. Other people seem to get on fine with it as I have it though and an email from Heil confirms this. That's what was making me think there may be an issue with the capsule I have. I might try removing the 10 db pad from it and see how that sits.

#4 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

Hey Nick

Yes, installing the new firmware will make a big difference.  When a 3rd party capsule is used we have to allow for a lot of variation of the levels.  In the case of Heil capsules they do not have built-in preamps like the Shure capsules do.  So we originally left them to work the same way they would if you put them on a Shure wireless transmitter.  We figured out a better way in the V2.x firmware so I think once you install that your Heil capsule will work better.  Heil capsule also come in two strengths depending on whether or not they have the resistor installed in them.  Do you know which one you have?  Probably better without the resistor when used with Line 6 wireless because we handle wide dynamic range much better than the others.

#5 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

...I might try removing the 10 db pad from it and see how that sits.

I'd really suggest leaving your RC 35 in it's original (hence warranty covered) state and FIRST performing the re-flash as Don Boomer says.

Check out the enthusiastic report on "your" capsule from the ever-helpful dougpke at the end of this discussion http://line6.com/sup...xd-v-handhelds/ to see why.

I've never tried the "RC" version, but I can report how mightily impressed I was on hearing the cabled version of that very capsule.

To my old ears, it has an extended frequency range that grants vocals (particularly basses, tenors and the lower registers of altos and mezzo-sopranos) a "golden age of radio" smoothness that's reminiscent of the very finest "vintage" studio ribbon mics, while the open "airiness" of its upper range is reminiscent of modern studio condensers, many of which sell for the Heil's purchase price, ...er, ...aah, ...with a few zeros added to the end.

The only "down side" for us "road warriors" is that the combination of extended bass and rear cancellation ports make it prone to passing subwoofer-destroying "whoomp" transients from wind and/or plosives from breath, something that's easily fixed with one of these http://www.bhphotovi...Windscreen.html.

BTW, as my work often has me outdoors in wind and rain, I own (and regularly employ) one of these http://www.videoguys...a-hand-max.html for each of my nine XD-V handhelds, something that I reckon would be essential for your precious capsule, should it ever need to brave the elements.

#6 nickinfrance

nickinfrance

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

I'd really suggest leaving your RC 35 in it's original (hence warranty covered) state and FIRST performing the re-flash as Don Boomer says.

Check out the enthusiastic report on "your" capsule from the ever-helpful dougpke at the end of this discussion http://line6.com/sup...xd-v-handhelds/ to see why.

I've never tried the "RC" version, but I can report how mightily impressed I was on hearing the cabled version of that very capsule.

To my old ears, it has an extended frequency range that grants vocals (particularly basses, tenors and the lower registers of altos and mezzo-sopranos) a "golden age of radio" smoothness that's reminiscent of the very finest "vintage" studio ribbon mics, while the open "airiness" of its upper range is reminiscent of modern studio condensers, many of which sell for the Heil's purchase price, ...er, ...aah, ...with a few zeros added to the end.

The only "down side" for us "road warriors" is that the combination of extended bass and rear cancellation ports make it prone to passing subwoofer-destroying "whoomp" transients from wind and/or plosives from breath, something that's easily fixed with one of these http://www.bhphotovi...Windscreen.html.

BTW, as my work often has me outdoors in wind and rain, I own (and regularly employ) one of these http://www.videoguys...a-hand-max.html for each of my nine XD-V handhelds, something that I reckon would be essential for your precious capsule, should it ever need to brave the elements.

Don, many thanks for your input.  I will see if I can get hold of a '75 somehow to do the upgrade or send it in to your support guys to do.   Ron, you are a Gentleman and a scholar! thank you for your continued wisdom!  The RC35 is actually for a very talented Soprano that i am lucky to be working with at the moment.  She can get to some pretty high levels in the mic so i will definitely take your advice and upgrade the firmware before removing the pad in the capsule.  Heil seemed quite happy for me to do the soldering job myself without any warranty issues.   Foam covers...the way forward!

Best

Nick

#7 chrispeters29

chrispeters29

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:48 AM

Hi Nick

Myself and a couple other artists use the V75 with the Heil 35 capsule .

Its the best thing i ever used , make no adjustments , no pad changes ... just turn off the filter , no gain either .

Hardly needs eq and sounds truly superb .

the ONLY negative is the handling noise is not great . But it the sound of the mic massively outweighs that problem .

I wish the body of the mic was metal (

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users