Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tips on reducing latency (Reaper+Native)

carterbk

I am running Helix Native in Reaper 5.4 on Mac OS with a Focusrite Solo.  I generally use only FabFilter R to add some effects, the rest is just Helix Native effects.

I am monitoring the signal post chain via the Focusrite and the latency is noticeable for sure.   The latency noted at the top of Reaper is 14-15ms which doesnt sound extreme.  Does anyone have any tips to reduce the time through the USB interface back to my headphones?  

I am a relatively new DAW/USB/plugin user and all the effect on latency is beyond my current level of knowledge.

Thanks!

Use the most recent driver for your interface- 2nd gen drivers will work and give better latency even if your solo is 1st gen. In asio settings put your buffer size as low as it will go without getting pops and clicks, this might take some trial and error. You may also find that the drivers work best at a higher sample rate, mine prefers 96khz to 44.1khz giving latency as low as 1.9ms but variable up to about 5ms