Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD500 Live sound issue

slaughtershack

I own a HD500 and I'm still a newbie. I'm hoping someone has a solution to my problem. When I load a preset or make one of my own, I have the noise gate(s) turned and I set up my distortion. My noise gate threshold is around 80 or so and my decay is at around 12. I have tried using hard gates also but nothing seems to work. When I go to an abrupt palm mute it sounds like the signal is still going... like there is reverb but I haven't selected any other effects, yet...just noise gate(s) and distortion(s), in that order and before the amp model(s). I am using a Schecter Omen Active 6 string with Seymour Duncan active black out pickups. Could there maybe be something with my pickups that is causing this problem? Has anyone else had this issue and if so does anyone know how to fix it? I have a show coming up soon and don't want this issue still going on while I am playing live.

Using the gate after the amp model worked but now I am hearing a popping noise when I pick my top string. It only pops on the first stroke of the pick. It goes away until I stop and go to play on the top string again. Any suggestions?

The amp could be overdriving the gate. There should be a mixer block already assigned between the amp and the gate. Try turning down the mixer gain/volume.

A gate after the amp model is usually a band-aide for downstream noise in the rig itself, signal level issue or wiring. You did not mention what you are playing through. Gate is most effective first in the chain so the threshold will track consistently, open as fast and precisely as possible using a clean signal....Gates do not track well on distorted signal...

The gates in HD don't have virtual side-chaining...Putting a gate after the amp is a very old trick for getting rid of noise...But it only works well when side-chained from a gate or comp that is first in the chain...

Do you have the input pad engaged? Have you changed the input setup of input 2 to VAX or MIC do disable it? If not, you are likely saturating the signal chain in the POD....

I would suggest you bring up an empty patch...Add the Hard Gate only...engage the Input Pad and insure that you are using only one input on the setup....Once you learn how the gate tracks to your raw guitar, that is as good as it will get....