Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Backing up Helix with old firmware

Axylrock

So I haven't updated my Helix once since I bought it and I'm still on v1.04.3 firmware. 

How do I backup all my presets on Helix? - the new editor I downloaded just shows me a message saying that my firmware is out of date so does that mean I can't back it up there? and if I can't with the this version of the editor is it possible to find that editor version still somewhere to save all my presets/ factory restore my helix/ and then update and upload the backup to my helix?

Thank you.

On the page you find the downloads for editor and firmware, you will see a giant set of instructions. Look at #2, and read the rest of them very carefully. You have to follow these steps. 

You will have to install an older version of Editor to be able to backup your existing presets BEFORE installing new versions of Editor and firmware. 

Helix Firmware 2.21 Release Notes

Helix v2.21.0 is a firmware update that includes new fixes, stability improvements, and optimizations. It is highly recommended that all Helix users perform this update!

IMPORTANT! YOU *MUST* FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL 2.21!

1. Shut down all Line 6 software as well as any software that streams audio, including, but not limited to: iTunes, Spotify, DAWs, browsers, etc.

2. Use your CURRENT EXISTING Helix application to back up all of your presets and IRs (if you want to keep them). For example, if you’re running Helix FW 2.00, your current Helix application version should be 2.00.

3. Quit the CURRENT EXISTING Helix editor application and download and install the LATEST Helix editor application (2.21), available here: http://line6.com/software/ This also installs the newest version of Line 6 Updater (1.11).

4. If you’re using Helix Rack with Helix Control, turn off Helix Control.

5. Using the latest Line 6 Updater (1.11), update Helix/Helix Rack to the newest firmware (2.21). At the end of the update process, Helix/Helix Rack will reboot automatically and begin rebuilding presets. Wait for this process to complete.

6. If you’re using Helix Control with Helix Rack, connect and power on Helix Control. The inspector will ask if you want to update its firmware. Press Knob 6 (OK). Wait for the update to finish.

YOU MUST RESET GLOBALS AND RESTORE PRESETS, OTHERWISE HELIX 2.21 WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY. DO IT. DO IT NOW:

7. To reset globals and restore presets, turn off Helix/Helix Rack.

HELIX FLOOR + LT ONLY: While holding footswitches 9 and 10 (middle two switches on the bottom row), turn on Helix. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.

HELIX RACK ONLY: While holding knobs 5 and 6 below the screen, turn on Helix Rack. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.

8. Using the NEW Helix editor application (2.21), restore the user presets you backed up in step 2.

On the page you find the downloads for editor and firmware, you will see a giant set of instructions. Look at #2, and read the rest of them very carefully. You have to follow these steps. 

You will have to install an older version of Editor to be able to backup your existing presets BEFORE installing new versions of Editor and firmware. 

Helix Firmware 2.21 Release Notes

Helix v2.21.0 is a firmware update that includes new fixes, stability improvements, and optimizations. It is highly recommended that all Helix users perform this update!

IMPORTANT! YOU *MUST* FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL 2.21!

1. Shut down all Line 6 software as well as any software that streams audio, including, but not limited to: iTunes, Spotify, DAWs, browsers, etc.

2. Use your CURRENT EXISTING Helix application to back up all of your presets and IRs (if you want to keep them). For example, if you’re running Helix FW 2.00, your current Helix application version should be 2.00.

3. Quit the CURRENT EXISTING Helix editor application and download and install the LATEST Helix editor application (2.21), available here: http://line6.com/software/ This also installs the newest version of Line 6 Updater (1.11).

4. If you’re using Helix Rack with Helix Control, turn off Helix Control.

5. Using the latest Line 6 Updater (1.11), update Helix/Helix Rack to the newest firmware (2.21). At the end of the update process, Helix/Helix Rack will reboot automatically and begin rebuilding presets. Wait for this process to complete.

6. If you’re using Helix Control with Helix Rack, connect and power on Helix Control. The inspector will ask if you want to update its firmware. Press Knob 6 (OK). Wait for the update to finish.

YOU MUST RESET GLOBALS AND RESTORE PRESETS, OTHERWISE HELIX 2.21 WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY. DO IT. DO IT NOW:

7. To reset globals and restore presets, turn off Helix/Helix Rack.

HELIX FLOOR + LT ONLY: While holding footswitches 9 and 10 (middle two switches on the bottom row), turn on Helix. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.

HELIX RACK ONLY: While holding knobs 5 and 6 below the screen, turn on Helix Rack. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.

8. Using the NEW Helix editor application (2.21), restore the user presets you backed up in step 2.

Thats the issue I was running into - Where do I find an older version of the editor? I know it has to match my firmware v.1.04.3 has to match editor version v.1.04.3 - so where do I find older editors?

I'd first probably try backing everything up with whatever version of the editor you're using now. I would guess it would work.

But if it doesn't work:

When you go to the Line 6 download page, you should see a very long list, the entire history, of firmware and software released for Helix. So download what's called Helix version 1.04. Uninstall whatever version you're using now and install version 1.04. It should contain everything: the drivers, the updater, and the editor. Once you do that, you should be able to perform a backup.

Then you can proceed to download Helix version 2.21, which contains the drivers, the updater, and the editor. You might want to uninstall everything Helix related rather than installing version 2.21 over the older version because I can recall there being a directory structure change at some point which caused some problems.