Photo

Guitar in pad/normal-switch on POD HD

jtv jtv59 jtv-59 input gain clipping pod hd500x pad gain-stage

Best Answer cruisinon2 , 01 September 2017 - 04:21 AM

Some answers on FB are more inclusive, saying:
"Pad mode is only for instruments with active pickups. Passive pickups never overload the gain stage even with high output Pickups."
Any opinions on that?

There's not much room for opinion here... this is as close to objective fact as anything that ever gets discussed around here. If you have signal clipping issues, it ain't the guitar's fault. An instrument level signal is barely sufficient to drive a pair of ear buds by itself. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Smashcraaft

Smashcraaft

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Registered Products:7

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:47 AM

JTV-59 & POD HD500x users: How do you use the "Guitar in pad/normal"-switch on the POD HD?

I feel and read that the PUps on the 59 are very hot, so I use "pad" to prevent peaking the gain-stages at the POD.
"I´m from Germany and I try to express myself understandable. But anyway… please excuse my poor english!"
FRFR-Setup: Variax JTV59 / 600 > POD HD500x / POD HD500 > Yamaha DBR12 / Superlux SF12A
One pedal to rule them all, One pedal to find them.One pedal to bring them all and in the darkness bind 'em.

#2 amsdenj

amsdenj

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Registered Products:8

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:21 PM

Digital audio interfaces have limited dynamic range and there is no such thing as "good" digital clipping. So you need to make sure your guitar is not overdriving the inputs of your audio interface - whether its a Pod HD500, Helix, or your typical computer audio interface.

Many interfaces provide input level meters or clip indicator lights and a gain control so that you can adjust the gain to provide a good signal level while avoiding any clipping. The Pod HD500 doesn't provide level meters or clip indicators, so you have to use your ears. The input level switch plays the role of a simplified, two-state input gain control. When in doubt, use the lower gain setting and makeup the gain in the amp drive setting. That will ensure you're getting the proper kind of clipping.

#3 Smashcraaft

Smashcraaft

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Registered Products:7

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:28 PM

"Pad mode is only for instruments with active pickups. Passive pickups never overload the gain stage even with high output Pickups."

Any opinions on that?

When in doubt, use the lower gain setting and makeup the gain in the amp drive setting. That will ensure you're getting the proper kind of clipping.

That's the way I use it at the moment. If the pad is not needed anything I loose (in worst case) should be some tone-thickness and dynamics, didn't it?

"I´m from Germany and I try to express myself understandable. But anyway… please excuse my poor english!"
FRFR-Setup: Variax JTV59 / 600 > POD HD500x / POD HD500 > Yamaha DBR12 / Superlux SF12A
One pedal to rule them all, One pedal to find them.One pedal to bring them all and in the darkness bind 'em.

#4 cruisinon2

cruisinon2

Uber Guru

• Members
  • 5049 posts
  • Registered Products:5

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:21 AM   Best Answer

Any opinions on that?

There's not much room for opinion here... this is as close to objective fact as anything that ever gets discussed around here. If you have signal clipping issues, it ain't the guitar's fault. An instrument level signal is barely sufficient to drive a pair of ear buds by itself.

#5 psarkissian

psarkissian

Line 6 Staff

• Service Engineer Moderator
  • 1818 posts
  • LocationCalabasas, CA

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:40 PM

It's helpful.

Pad or Attenuation is generally useful for attenuatin gsignals that are "too hot" and

need to be attenuated or trimmed before continuing on down the signal path.

Active pick-ups is only one circumstance where a "pad" comes in handy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jtv, jtv59, jtv-59, input, gain, clipping, pod hd500x, pad, gain-stage