Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Playing guitar and creating patches... a better process?

cboshdave

So, I just created my first patch and loaded it to my hd500x.  It took me MUCH longer than I anticipated. One of the things that made it slow is that I had to keep tweaking the patch settings, then play my guitar to test.  I realize this suggestion will have its flaws, but I was wondering if there was any way to record a quick .mp3 of the guitar riff, chords, whatever, and then send that back thru the software over and over and OVER to at least try to get the sound close.  Then, I could fine tune it with my guitar??  

Just trying to save my bleeding fingertips.  One the plus side, I did get the riff down well while I was making the patch.  I realize there are downsides to the idea.  Just trying to speed up the process.  

Thanks,

cbsohdave

I wouldn't be so quick to abandon the way you're doing it now. Maybe refine the process. There are a couple of reasons, one of which you pointed out already, which is a sort of forced practice. The other reason may or may not apply depending on what's being played. Looking for ways to discard actually playing the guitar can have consequences, the most notable of which is you're potentially throwing away a large chunk of the equation, which is the unquantifiable 'feeling' of a preset in action, not to mention the lost practice opportunities.

The looper, or other equivalencies such as a DAW, can have their uses though. If the parts are an easy rhythm or something else where the practice isn't needed or the feeling isn't important, then I'd say look for a shorter way through, refining the process.

Just because we used to play, tweak, play, tweak before doesn't mean we have to continue to do it like that.

Use the looper in the pre position.  I've done that a few times too.  After a while the tweaking doesn't take so much time and you can just play, tweak and be done.