#1 jamieabraham

jamieabraham

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

Hi 

I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this problem with the DT25.

I was getting a slight shock whilst holding my guitar and touching anything earthed. So I took my amp in to the local repair guy and sure enough it wasn't earthed properly. However, according to him the fault is in the amps design and so presumably they will all behave this way!

I'm no electrician so below is exactly what he said:

"The front end design of this is odd - both electrically and mechanically. It has a sub PCB connected directly to the (stereo type) i/p socket, which is then connected back to the main board by an unscreened lead. Although the sleeve contact reads to earth, the actual socket nut is floating. Also the back pad is only power grounded by way of its securing screws. I have now added a wire straight from the power i/p socket earth pin to the back panel and then carried it on to the shield at the i/p socket, so at least now it's guaranteed safe."

This mod cost me £30 but I really want to know if any other DT25 owners have had this issue.

thanks

#2 stumblinman

stumblinman

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

I haven't. Gigged my DT25 numerous times and have not experienced that. I hope there are no lingering effects for you, unless it made you play better. If so, do it again! \m/

#3 jamieabraham

jamieabraham

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:43 AM

No and ...no!

It was a tiny amount of voltage like a static shock and only when I touched something metalic that was earthed - in this case my laptop. 

#4 stumblinman

stumblinman

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:40 AM

Was it a continuous tingle of current, or just a quick zap?

#5 spaceatl

spaceatl

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 4673 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

I have not had this problem because I use an AVR on my input power for my gear. transformers isolate that garbage voltage....Even when I was playing on Mars last week, I did not have a "Marsing" problem... :D

#6 jamieabraham

jamieabraham

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:37 AM

Was it a continuous tingle of current, or just a quick zap?

It was a continuous tingle.

#7 jamieabraham

jamieabraham

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:39 AM

I have not had this problem because I use an AVR on my input power for my gear. transformers isolate that garbage voltage....Even when I was playing on Mars last week, I did not have a "Marsing" problem... :D

Forgive my ignorance spaceati - what's an AVR?

#8 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2773 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:16 AM

automatic voltage regulator

I'M SO HAPPY!

#9 stumblinman

stumblinman

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

It's funny, well not really funny, but an interesting coincidence: When I was changing my tubes the other day after the fuse blowout ordeal, I tested the amp before putting it back together. Head was lying on the floor next to the cab it's housed in, and while I was holding my guitar while I bent over to flip standby off, I was getting a minor tingle of electricity present while my fingers were on the standby switch. Not strong by any means, but definitely present and noticeable. Odd thing was, when I reassembled the amp, the sensation went away. Maybe next time I crack it open I will do this grounding mod you posted.

Edit! I now realize I was plugged in direct when testing it, and after reassembling it I was using L6 Link. That must separate you from the power inherent in the amp circuit. Perhaps I will test and see if I get zapped with amp reassembled and plugging straight in.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dt25, earthing problem, design fault

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users