#21 SiWatts69

SiWatts69

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSouth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

Good stuff!  You are going to have a serious amount of power there!  I'll have to come up and see the band.

you'd be more than welcome. if you're ever in Sheffield

#22 darrenhowell

darrenhowell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, England

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

Have now got my M20d and downloaded 1.2 with no problems, I have only been familiarising myself with the interface but totally get the concept and have found the navigation round the board very straightforward.  As a musician who has to "do the sound" it offers everything I need and more. 

Although our trio just consists of keyboards,brass player and female vocalist playing middle of the road and party music for parties,dances etc we like to have the best sound possible.

In the future I would like to do some mixing for bands as well and using the playback function and I feel I can practise using the M20d and get an understanding of using the dynamic eq,compressors etc.  If anyone could help me by sending a recording in wav format of their band done on the M20d I would like to load it up and use it to learn how to use  the board to it's full potential. I'm not bothered about genre etc but it would really help as currently I don't have access to a live drummer/guitarist etc.

I am now saving for the speakers,ipad etc but in the meantime will be testing the board out shortly with my RCF ART 712a's and DB subs.

Once again I have found this forum invaluable in making the jump to the M20d.

#23 SiWatts69

SiWatts69

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

In the future I would like to do some mixing for bands as well and using the playback function and I feel I can practise using the M20d and get an understanding of using the dynamic eq,compressors etc.  If anyone could help me by sending a recording in wav format of their band done on the M20d I would like to load it up and use it to learn how to use  the board to it's full potential. I'm not bothered about genre etc but it would really help as currently I don't have access to a live drummer/guitarist etc.

Excellent request/idea. I'd be interested too and I'm pretty certain our guitarist would be too, as a vain attempt to fast track familiarisation before turning up to a rehearsal.

Perhaps, we could collectively setup some kind of share library?

I'm collecting my rig on wednesday and we're rehearsing with it on thursday

#24 darrenhowell

darrenhowell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

Excellent request/idea. I'd be interested too and I'm pretty certain our guitarist would be too, as a vain attempt to fast track familiarisation before turning up to a rehearsal.

Hi Si

I am sure you will notice a massive difference when you go into the line 6 rig. We moved from Bose 802's to RCF 712a's and it took some time to get used to the clear sound and the lower volumes we could operate at due to the efficiency of the system.  We never had compliments on our sound but as soon as we had the RCF's people commented on how good the sound was and how the vocals can be heard right at the back of the room.  I am certain you will have a similar experience with the line 6 rig when you change from your current speaker set up.  After a few rehearsals you will no doubt have a great mix that will only require slight tweaking to suit different rooms.I'm pretty sure you would all be able to master the M20d as it is really straight forward.  If you play anywhere near Birmingham let me know as I would love to catch your show.

#25 gordwait

gordwait

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

Ah nuts (in a good way).. We just picked up the m20d, and I've been learning it, so far, very impressed, and connected to our powered Yorkville speakers it sounds noticeably better than the presonus rack mount gear we've been using.

So, I'm the only member left in the band without a powered monitor, so I've decided to rent/demo the l20t for a week or so to see if I like it. (the 30t is too big for a floor monitor, much as I'd like to be spoiled by a 3 way speaker..).

I haven't been home yet to test drive it, but to see all the rave reviews here I'm guessing I'm going to be purchasing this unit shortly...

Nuts, I need to spend money like I need another hole in my head! ;)

#26 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11094 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

See if you can make it a rent-to-buy arrangement, so that any $$ spent on the rental goes toward the purchase. You know it isn't going back...... ;)

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#27 scotterp

scotterp

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

Guys, I've been recording each of our gigs for learning purposes. We typically use 13 channels on the board (drums, guitars, bass, vocals). I could provide you with some raw wav files. I've used box.com in the past to post large files. Would this work for you?

Scott

#28 darrenhowell

darrenhowell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

Guys, I've been recording each of our gigs for learning purposes. We typically use 13 channels on the board (drums, guitars, bass, vocals). I could provide you with some raw wav files. I've used box.com in the past to post large files. Would this work for you?

Scott

Hi Scott

That would be great. I haven't used box.com but have just set up a free account.  I would really appreciate it if you could provide some raw wav files.  

Thanks

Darren

#29 SiWatts69

SiWatts69

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

Scott

Likewise to Darren... I'd be interested also.

I'm pretty certain the rest of my crew would have no objection to doing similar once we're in a position to reciprocate :-)

#30 scotterp

scotterp

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

Hi Scott

That would be great. I haven't used box.com but have just set up a free account.  I would really appreciate it if you could provide some raw wav files.  

Thanks

Darren

Try this link: https://app.box.com/...0l7ed3yduxvklar. It should not require an account for others that may be interested in the files as well (I wouldn't post the link here if I didn't want to share with all readers here). These are the raw files from a live set (the entire set) so ya, there are plenty of mistakes/mishaps. I'm too lazy to chop them up into individual songs right now!

Note the different levels of the different instruments. I'm no live engineer so I don't have the input levels perfect by any means. However, it's so easy to control the output for the live mix that I really don't care! 

#31 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

Ah nuts (in a good way).. We just picked up the m20d, and I've been learning it, so far, very impressed, and connected to our powered Yorkville speakers it sounds noticeably better than the presonus rack mount gear we've been using.

So, I'm the only member left in the band without a powered monitor, so I've decided to rent/demo the l20t for a week or so to see if I like it. (the 30t is too big for a floor monitor, much as I'd like to be spoiled by a 3 way speaker..).

I haven't been home yet to test drive it, but to see all the rave reviews here I'm guessing I'm going to be purchasing this unit shortly...

Nuts, I need to spend money like I need another hole in my head! ;)

The L3t isn't too big for a floor monitor and in fact sounds amazing.  The price difference really isn't that prohibitive either.. so you should maybe try both.  In the end it will come down to what you are getting in the monitors.  If you want some bass and drums in there... The L3t will shine.  But I used and loved L2t as a monitor as well.  I've recently gone IEM route.. but before I did it came down to size weight vs sound.. size and weight won.. and I went L2t.  All I'm saying is explore your options and figure out all things considered what's best for you.

#32 darrenhowell

darrenhowell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

Try this link: https://app.box.com/...0l7ed3yduxvklar. It should not require an account for others that may be interested in the files as well (I wouldn't post the link here if I didn't want to share with all readers here). These are the raw files from a live set (the entire set) so ya, there are plenty of mistakes/mishaps. I'm too lazy to chop them up into individual songs right now!

Note the different levels of the different instruments. I'm no live engineer so I don't have the input levels perfect by any means. However, it's so easy to control the output for the live mix that I really don't care! 

Cheers Scott - I have downloaded and am just going through setting the inputs. It really is an easy system to use. Looking forward to listening to your set. Once again a big thank you.

#33 gordwait

gordwait

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yep, the L2M sounds great! Really shows how badly scooped the midrange is on our band's Yorkville NX25P monitors. 

I did end up with a rent goes towards purchase. I think I'll stick with the smaller L2 size though, it is nice and compact, and some stages

we've played on don't have a lot of room..

#34 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

I feel the same. Stages are tight sometimes, and every inch counts. Just played a place for the first time last night, and it was very small stage. Big pub, but the layout didn't didn't consider a four piece band. Hopefully, they make some changes, but, in the meantime we are stuck with very little "real estate" to have a 210 speaker each.

#35 aasoundco

aasoundco

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Calif.

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

best choise i ever made use the line6 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: m20d, l3t, l3m, l3s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users