Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native + Logic X crackles

catzenmusic

I installed the Helix Native as trial two days ago on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15', Mid 2015), 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

When jumping through the presets I noticed some cracks/crackls occuring occasionally while playing.

I checked everything from audio interface, guitar, cables, driver, input/output clipping, CPU usage, e.g.

Everything is fine here.

Even when disbaling every possible background proccess I don't really need, disabling all other plugins in the plugin manager of Logic and only working with a single track this cracks still occur.

Now after 2 days of searching I'm really sure I've found the issue, because it's reproducable !!!

This cracks only occur when the GUI of the Helix Native Plugin is open.
Even when it looses focus when I put e.g. a Browser window in front of it.

The crackles disappear as soon as I close the GUI.

Anybody else dicovered this issue?
Anybody any idea how to fix this?

Really want to get it working because I want to test the Helix thoroughly.

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback.

Are you running Helix Native 1.00, or Helix Native 1.01?

The 1.01 update had the following within it (some of it directly relates to Logic Pro X) It reads as the following:

WHAT'S NEW

• The Settings Window is accessed via a more easily discoverable gear icon in the bottom left of the window.
  • Import and Export bundle has moved to the Settings Window
  • CPU Optimizations under the hood to the stock cab models
  • Note Sync now stays synced when changing delay and mod models 
  • Block movement and placement has been improved

WHAT'S FIXED

• Unfreezing Tracks and other modals dialogs under Logic Pro X no longer darken the plug-in UI.
  • Time remaining in trial no longer displays negative or invalid numbers
  • Various other bug fixes and stability improvements
  •  

Just to throw out an unlikely possibility:

It may not be the plugin, but the plugin may be uncovering something going on at the OS level, or at least an unwanted interaction between the plugin, something in the OS, and your interface ASIO drivers (in my case Helix Floor). I'm not familiar with Macs, but I've recently had intolerable crackling on Windows 10 and Reaper, made much worse with iZotope Ozone. I've eliminated all crackling, even at very low buffer sizes of 64 and 128, by changing the power profile from the default of balanced to either high performance or a custom one made from high performance. Simply customizing the balanced profile was not enough. If a Mac has something similar to power profiles, it may be worth looking into that.

@duncann: As mentioned above I already disabled all other plug ins and still had the same issues...

... but with your tip concerning energy settings you pointed me into a new direction and gave me an idea which finally seems to work.

In Mac OSX you also have some "energy savings setting".
For a MacBookPro Retina with two graphic cards there's a setting to switch automatically between the external and the on-board graphics to save energy (even when plugged in).
Turning this setting off resolved the issue so far.

I will further watch it and keep you tracked if the issue is really solved.

• 4 weeks later...

Inspiration came form duncann's post:
http://line6.com/support/topic/29681-helix-native-logic-x-crackles/?do=findComment&comment=229239

My workaround finally fixed it for me:
http://line6.com/support/topic/29681-helix-native-logic-x-crackles/?do=findComment&comment=229247

Don't know which thread I should mark as the solution ...