#2 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 8883 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

Yes, there is a noise gate that can be found in the setup menu and saved on a preset per preset basis, and there is also a noise gate effect that can be used as a standalone effect in a preset.

"It is not our duty to understand the arbitrary, meaningless dictates of machines"

- Don Norman in The Design of Everyday Things

#3 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 17783 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA
  • Registered Products:17

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:19 AM

just adding that the noisegate is sort of a bonus effect, because it can work in addition with any of the other stomp models.

#4 jamiek03

jamiek03

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:17 AM

I am interested in getting an M5. From reading this and other places I understand that the Noise Gate needs to be set for every preset.

On my tube amp and the 2 gain channels are a little hissy/noisy. To quiet this, every preset on my current multi effects pedal has the noise gate on. Seems the M5 functions a little differently. Since I can not change presets with one button press (need to hit both buttons, cycle up down to preset, hit both buttons) my question is:

If the noise gate is set to be used on a preset but the effect is turned off for that preset (on/off button), is the noise gate still engaged?

Here is a specific example:

Preset 2, Noise Gate is set, Chorus Effect is chosen for this preset, saved etc.

I have selected Preset 2 and have the Chorus Effect On (Chorus Effect is Active, Noise Gate is Active)

I hit the On/Off, Chorus Effect is Off (Chorus Effect is Inactive, Noise Gate is still Active)

I hit the On/Off, Chorus Effect is On (Chorus Effect is Active, Noise Gate is Active)

If the above is not true, then this pedal would be rather useless for my specific application and I will need to look elsewhere.

#5 jvrock84

jvrock84

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationBrea, California
  • Registered Products:3

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

I am interested in getting an M5. From reading this and other places I understand that the Noise Gate needs to be set for every preset.

On my tube amp and the 2 gain channels are a little hissy/noisy. To quiet this, every preset on my current multi effects pedal has the noise gate on. Seems the M5 functions a little differently. Since I can not change presets with one button press (need to hit both buttons, cycle up down to preset, hit both buttons) my question is:

If the noise gate is set to be used on a preset but the effect is turned off for that preset (on/off button), is the noise gate still engaged?

Preset 2, Noise Gate is set, Chorus Effect is chosen for this preset, saved etc.

I have selected Preset 2 and have the Chorus Effect On (Chorus Effect is Active, Noise Gate is Active)

I hit the On/Off, Chorus Effect is Off (Chorus Effect is Inactive, Noise Gate is still Active)

I hit the On/Off, Chorus Effect is On (Chorus Effect is Active, Noise Gate is Active)

If the above is not true, then this pedal would be rather useless for my specific application and I will need to look elsewhere.

hello... So anyone tried it?

Fender guitars - Marshall & Orange Amps - POD XT-HD - M5  - 4CM

Hablo español - Pregúntame

#6 jamiek03

jamiek03

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

As I understand the noise gate is a universal effect (through setup menu) and a separate effect (in the distortion effect category by the EQ's). I believe the universal gate is engaged at all times, but I do not use the universal gate on my pedal. From the M5 Pilot's Handbook: Gate Think of the Gate as a special additional pedal that applies to each preset. There is no footswitch control for this effect so only use it when you always want the gate engaged. This is handy for taming some of the wilder distortion and fuzz effects or use it to eliminate the hum you get from a guitar equipped with single coils. Your top right PARAMETER KNOB sets the THRESHOLD and your bottom right PARAMETER KNOB sets the DECAY of this effect.

#7 jvrock84

jvrock84

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationBrea, California
  • Registered Products:3

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

thanks jamiek...

Well, I'm about to build my pedal board (Already have the M5) but I cannot make the test (turn effect off with the noise gate engaged) because I have no other pedals... so any help will be appreciated. 

Fender guitars - Marshall & Orange Amps - POD XT-HD - M5  - 4CM

Hablo español - Pregúntame

#8 mousepunk

mousepunk

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

Yes, the noise gate works exactly as you describe.

#9 JakubP

JakubP

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Registered Products:1

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:53 PM

Hi I have trouble accessing the setup on the preset, when i press the model select once instead of accessing additional setup (midi, ng etc) I am switching in between effect groups. Can anyone advice?

Thanks