Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to route an always-on external tuner?

jbutler

Although i am happy with the on-board tuner, there are lots of times I would like to be able to look down while holding a single note to check tuning during a song. As I play mostly in trio format, there is often no time to tune between songs.

Would i just set up a send loop without a return? Does Helix need to see a return signal?

Is using the headphone out jack the way to go?

Thx in advance.

I recommend using a send or the right channel 1/4" if you don't need that. The send has the advantage that you can route it to a useful spot, which would be before any effects that might upset the tuner, e.g. chorus or phaser. You can specifically insert a pure Send Block that has no return.

I would refrain from using the headphone output. Even if you use a stereo cable, the tuner input is likely mono and it will short the right channel on the Helix' headphone amplifier. It is most likely rated to tolerate that, but it's avoidable. If you have to use it, I recommend using a split cable ("insert cable") so you can leave the right channel unplugged. The same restriction applies to it as with the 1/4" Line Outs: a pitch modulating effect in the signal chain might confuse the tuner.

Although i am happy with the on-board tuner, there are lots of times I would like to be able to look down while holding a single note to check tuning during a song. As I play mostly in trio format, there is often no time to tune between songs.

Would i just set up a send loop without a return? Does Helix need to see a return signal?

Is using the headphone out jack the way to go?

Thx in advance.

Connect to a send, and put a send block near the front of your signal chain before any effects. 

Connect to a send, and put a send block near the front of your signal chain before any effects. 

This --- just be sure that if you use a volume pedal block early in your chain, that you put the send somewhere before the volume block.  Otherwise, when you turn your volume down to tune, you'll kill your signal before it gets to the send block.  Had me scratching my head once........