24 replies to this topic

#1 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5517 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

Just in case people didn't see this link in the other thread, I thought I'd start a new topic since this is brought up a lot here.

The biggest point Sean makes is that playing the Variax acoustics and having them sound good requires a light touch - a very light touch, really. I think this is where many of the complaints come from. You can't necessarily treat the Variax like an acoustic guitar and strum the crap out of it like you would a real acoustic guitar and expect it to sound good.

Anyway, here's the link again.

http://blog.line6.com/2013/2061/

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#2 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

phil , where do i find the seans patch? typycal patch

Jtv 69 , pod hd 500, suhr S3,prs custom 22, Gibson SG standard 96, fender plus strat 93

#3 guitarno

guitarno

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for posting this. I have been noticing that a number of patches people loaded on customtone for "Acoustic" sounds have a propensity to get overdriven real easily. Not a good sound for acoustic guitar. Playing lightly is another matter and a little counter intuitive to me - I tend to gravitate to playing like I would with a real acoustic. Not getting the best results with that either. I guess I'll have to go through this blog post, take some time to digest it all & adjust my thinking & playing style when it comes to JTV acoustic sounds. Some of the acoustic sounds on Sean's videos are outstanding, and I haven't gotten close to those results yet.

#4 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5517 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

This is one of Sean's acoustic patches: http://line6.com/cus...ne/tone/219017/

It appears to essentially the same as in the video, except this one has the volume pedal and noise gate added.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#5 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

but it would be great if Sean make available the patch he wore in the video, others he posted are not The Same

Jtv 69 , pod hd 500, suhr S3,prs custom 22, Gibson SG standard 96, fender plus strat 93

#6 TxHCBP

TxHCBP

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

The problem I'm having with acoustic sounds from my 59 is string rattle on the 6th string (low E), no matter HOW easily I "hit" it. It seems to be limited to the J-200 and the D-28. The others seem to be okay. Any suggestions (other than not using those two models)?

#7 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

You might have to raise that string at the bridge.  I had to raise the LowE and A on my 69S.

#8 TxHCBP

TxHCBP

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

Don't think so, Charlie. It's only on those two models; the other acoustics, the resonators, strats, teles, LPs, etc., seem to be just fine (no rattle), so it must be in the modeling.

#9 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

Should not do that if you have no string buzz.  It may be much more evident on the acoustic models.  I would still try a slight action change and see if it has an effect.

#10 diggerbarnz

diggerbarnz

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

Sitting & tweaking a bit w/Seans' patch & workbench - Just HAD to say I LOVE my new 69...& my 59  - the pod500 I have  much to learn..., but after 48 yrs. I'm pretty freakin happy

#11 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

I've noticed a curious thing, every time I go to record the sound of acoustic guitars distort, and I did all the tests possible, I took out the compressor, volume decreases, treshhold, I changed my position, shifted in mixer and then I caught a empty patch and noticed that even then saturating in the bass, it seems a problem of the acoustic, the electric does not saturate,

#12 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

how you guys think is most likely to saturate the sound of acoustic guitar? increasing the compressor or increasing mixer? because i use mixer 10db

#13 Rewolf48

Rewolf48

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:44 AM

I've noticed a curious thing, every time I go to record the sound of acoustic guitars distort, and I did all the tests possible, I took out the compressor, volume decreases, treshhold, I changed my position, shifted in mixer and then I caught a empty patch and noticed that even then saturating in the bass, it seems a problem of the acoustic, the electric does not saturate,

I too noticed that the Acoustics were compressing/saturated since 2.0 when there appeared to be a significant volume increase.  

Use Workbench HD to reduce the global string volumes, and if necessary the patch volumes as the saturation can occur within the JTV - this can also be caused by using heavier string gauges.

#14 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:35 AM

It would be nice if the Variax had a way to indicate that clipping was happening anywhere in the signal chain.  (Like the Pods do)  Then we would know to reduce the string volume settings.  Piezo outputs vary quite a lot from unit to unit.  (I use them at work)  Vendors often sort them into bins that are close to each other but from bin to bin they vary a bunch. 

#15 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:53 AM

and yet I use +3 or 4 db in patch acustic (5) on the workbench, is it this that is causing the distortion?

#16 jcosta_sr

jcosta_sr

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Not too long ago I completed the Dreamrig with the L2t. (JTV 69, HD500). I could not believe how good the acoustic patches sounded. I also found that I was over driving the patches with eq and compressors to raise the volume. I took every thing out except reverb and an eq to lower the low freqs, I was able to set the mixer to 6 db.

WHile you can't play the acoustic patches as hard as a real acoustic guitar, you can play them hard. The dynamic range is pretty wide before you over drive. Since you have the L2t and 800 wats. You can always turn the amp up and lay back a little on your playing.

#17 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:23 AM

I think I would recommend moving the high amplitude models down to match them rather than moving the low amplitude ones up.  Any clipping will cause lots of distortion and bad sound.

#18 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT USA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

It would be nice if the Variax had a way to indicate that clipping was happening anywhere in the signal chain.  (Like the Pods do)  Then we would know to reduce the string volume settings.  Piezo outputs vary quite a lot from unit to unit.  (I use them at work)  Vendors often sort them into bins that are close to each other but from bin to bin they vary a bunch. 

"Like the Pods do"?  That's news to me.  One of my biggest pet peeves is the lack of overload indication on my HD500.  Which Pod models have this instrumentation?

40 years of Rock-n-Roll and proud of it!

PRS Custom 24 (1990) w/ GK-3 Hex PU

James Tyler Variax JTV-69(k) w/ Strat Neck

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth

QSC K10 FRFR

#19 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

but I notice that even an empty patch has the tendency to saturate

#20 Rewolf48

Rewolf48

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:48 AM

Empty patch on HD500 saturating means the JTV is too hot an input - use workbench to turn it down.  For normal guitars that is what the Pad switch is for or you lower the pickups.

It is all very well the software automatically limiting, but really wish that we could see where it is happening.  

On the JTV there could be a "calibration process" where the individual string amplitudes are adjusted automatically for your current strings, specific set of peizos and your definition of "strum hard". Would at least take one bit of guesswork out of the process of making a JTV sound good.

#21 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:52 AM

how can i use the WB to turn down the input? you say to lower the volume of the strings individually? which another type of regulation has the workbench for acoustic?

#22 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:35 AM

The strings are the piezo inputs.  Turning them down lowers the signal through the modeling.

#23 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:38 AM

I understand, I notice that the more distorted are the low strings, low E and A

#24 Rewolf48

Rewolf48

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:02 AM

Unlike the earlier versions Workbench HD has a reasonable User guide: see "Adjusting Global String Levels" on page 16 in http://line6.com/dat...h ( Rev A ).pdf

#25 brue58ski

brue58ski

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:54 AM

I've seen alot about strumming softly but I just came across this video where Mr. Rzeznick seems to strum prretty hard.  It's abou 2:35 in.

http://www.youtube.c...VC6W93BmiXFELDw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users