Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix native improvement

bicycleday9797

Sorry if it's asked before

I'm using native about a month and I find it very great. Somehow one of the best amp Sims on the markets. Just a little fuzzy and thin.

I'm selling my 6505 112 because my main focus is on recording at home and native almost is responding all of my needs.

My question is :

Is there any hardware that I can buy and improve my native sound?!?

For example I'm using Scarlett 2i2 and I heard 2i2 has a weak preamp.

Should I buy a preamp ?!?

Or should I change my 2i2?!?

I don't have a di box and somehow I'm satisfied with my line in or high Z input of my 2i2. Is di box a must have gear?!?

Does di box makes a noticeable difference in my tone?!?

Any suggestions for adding a gear to improve native tone?!?

Specially high gain tone...

Thanks guyZ...

IF you are recording what you are playing the 2i2 is fine.

You do not need a DI. A DI is specifically for converting a instrument level to a

level a PA mixer can use.

The 2i2 should be able to amplify a wide range of impedances.

Make sure your level on the way in averages around -12dbFS on your recording software meters.

For a thicker sounding tone plug the output of the 2i2 into the 6505 FX return or any amp and cab in the room.

If you listen on Studio monitors or headphones it will sound thin and the gain sound might be fizzy.

Crank the monitors might help.

When working close to computers shielding your guitar is advised.

Thank u so mush dude...

I like native but I'm willing to buy a helix LT. Because I'm always thinking LT should makes a better tone.

I have a great computer with a fine cpu and a Scarlett 2i2.

Can native and these things(my computer & 2i2) make a similar tone to helix hardware?!?

If I want a same tone as LT should I buy something else?!?

Thank u so mush dude...

I like native but I'm willing to buy a helix LT. Because I'm always thinking LT should makes a better tone.

I have a great computer with a fine cpu and a Scarlett 2i2.

Can native and these things(my computer & 2i2) make a similar tone to helix hardware?!?

If I want a same tone as LT should I buy something else?!?

Hi - I've had Helix rack since early this year and I love it.  I've had Native for a couple months and the sound is identical for the same preset and I love it and use it all the time for recording.  Bjnette has a good point on levels.  Input and output in Native are critical.  

I also kinda laugh on the fizzy/thin issue.  If you search the Helix forum on that topic, you'll find it's almost endless and new Helix owners regularly post this problem before searching the forum.  It's easily fixable.  I think you're where I was when I first got my Helix rack.  I was disappointed and didn't even like it.  I went to the Helix Forum and it helped my fix this "problem" and now I love it, and because I created all my own presets and use them in Native, I love it too.

You'll see two key things on the forum (and a ton more that might be helpful).  Most of us a high cut, somewhere around 5 kHz.  Where and when you use it depends on you.  Maybe in EQ, maybe elsewhere.  Also, while some people think the stock presets are usable, most of us don't and we create our own presets from scratch.  You should treat native like you just bought a Helix Lt/Rack/floor and read the forum and see how to sculpt your tone.  I am also happy to help since I went though this this year.

If you need more input from me, quote me so I know you responded or you can send me an email directly through this site.  I don't read this forum very often.

I advise you to NOT buy a Helix to get better tone.  There are a lot of other reasons one might want a Helix (I have a lot and love mine) but better tone than Native isn't one.