#21 tomb68

tomb68

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

OK, this links to a wave file in google drive hope it works. 

First part is slapping (LP / Baritone), 2nd part is finger style with modelling 3rd part is finger style using the JTV mags. 

DR Pure blues 10's, POD PhD pre w/verb (HD300). I have minimized the clipping by setting the global string volume to -9db which seems extreme but does reduce it with the slap stuff, finger style is anohter story. Still there, I can definitely hear it. The mags, in my opinion sound good. The playing was impromptu so, sorry for the slop. The altered tuning seems less stable with the global string volume reduced so much. 

If I set the global string violume back to -3db - 0db the popping on my pick or finger attack is ridiculous. Remember this is at -9db so a %50 reduction. 

#22 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

I think you might have a hardware problem then. I had one on mine, and I reduced the global string volume to about 50-60% on all of it (the sound was too loud anyways and my interface said the Variax was clipping). 

I think it's a given that you should adjust the string volume so that natural clipping doesn't occur, but the clipping we're talking about is a different type of clipping and doesn't just overdrive the signal, but makes a weird quacking noise. Like I said, it might be a hardware problem.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

#23 tomb68

tomb68

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

Here is another recording, I have also opened a ticket with tech support. To me the clicks and pops are distracting. The setting is deluxe normal channel on HD300 no verb or effects. the global volume was set at -8.5 Is it only me that hears it? Is this just normal Variax artifacts? If so then I don't want to harass tech support but I'm surprised more people don't notice it if it is normal. 

#24 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:59 AM

Here is another recording, I have also opened a ticket with tech support. To me the clicks and pops are distracting. The setting is deluxe normal channel on HD300 no verb or effects. the global volume was set at -8.5 Is it only me that hears it? Is this just normal Variax artifacts? If so then I don't want to harass tech support but I'm surprised more people don't notice it if it is normal. 

if you want, try to grab the strings one by one near the bridge and rapidly move them laterally and parallel to the body
note if doing so there are pops and clicks

I suspect that the piezo saddles move a bit and amplify the eventual contact with the edge around them

#25 tomb68

tomb68

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

if you want, try to grab the strings one by one near the bridge and rapidly move them laterally and parallel to the body
note if doing so there are pops and clicks

I suspect that the piezo saddles move a bit and amplify the eventual contact with the edge around them

They definitely produce a click if moved laterally, that was one of the first things I noticed. However, it seems like the string is jumping in the saddle, the way it would on a badly notched TOM bridge. I have a les paul that developed secondary saddle notches after about 15 years and occasionaly a string would jump to one on whole step bends. Same sort thing is happening on the variax and I can hear a click acoustically every once in a while. I would think the grooves in the saddles would be totally smooth but there is a seam somewhere in there the string hits, at least that is my impression.

#26 funkykitten

funkykitten

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:44 AM

Hi there,

Did you ever solve this problem?

I have the same problem and for me it is most evident while quietly finger-picking on the acoustic and rockabilly models.

It is definitely since v2 as I have tried going back and forward between 1.9 and 2 and it is not there in 1.9.

I have seen it on a couple of jtv59p models (they are the only ones I have played).

It is completely different to piezo quack, it is more of a static sound as you describe.
I have noticed it is not there when using a plectrum, just my fingers, especially my thumb. Makes me wonder if it is a ground/electrical problem? (Complete guess).

Considering returning the guitar and giving up as it is very annoying, and like you I am vey surprised not many people have complained.

Thanks,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jtv59 hd, string noise, piezo noise, lester, special, 335

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users