Photo

Relay G50 Wireless Very Annoying Noise

Best Answer coryk , 29 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

Received my unit back today from Line 6. Took about 2 weeks. Now works great! Thanks Line6!! Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 coryk

coryk

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationminnesota

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

I have the G50 wireless system withe the tbp12 transmitter. The transmitter is emitting a very annoying 30 hertz or so buzz or ray gun sound. If I wrap my finger around the transmitter's antenna it goes away completely, This is not acceptable in a live setting. I am using the power supply provided with the system. The sound is there no matter the venue. I've completely troubleshooted all cables,guitars and amp and have verified it all with the wireless system. Batteries in transmitter are new as well. Transmitter firmware 1.04 Please help. Thanks in advance. 

#2 coryk

coryk

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationminnesota

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

Anyone?

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

OK coryk, does this...

...I've completely troubleshooted all cables...

...include whatever adapter cable/s you use from your source TO the TA4 input of your beltpack ?

That question arises because your reporting...

...If I wrap my finger around the transmitter's antenna it goes away completely...

...makes me think it very likely that what you're hearing is largely  RF "garbage" that's "leaking" into the signal path via improper shielding of your beltpack's analog input stage.

While that's most likely to be caused by its input cabling, it's also not out of the question for it to have arisen from a hardware "breakage" or other failure inside the TBP12 itself, ...which would then require its surrender for servicing. 

#4 coryk

coryk

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationminnesota

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Ron, it's been used in a live setting probably a dozen times totaling about six hours use since new. I'm using the cable that was supplied when new. I always take very good care of the equipment I buy. It's never been abused or dropped. I've started a service ticket with line6 today as I've not had many responses to my problem. Other than the cellphone sounding interference problem I've not experienced any drop out issues others have had. Thanks for any input. Much appreciated.

#5 coryk

coryk

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationminnesota

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

...include whatever adapter cable/s you use from your source TO the TA4 input of your beltpack ? Yes, I'm using the line6 cable supplied with the Tbp12 transmitter.

#6 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

Ron, it's been used in a live setting probably a dozen times totaling about six hours use since new. I'm using the cable that was supplied when new...

So, coryk, ...I'm guessing the unit started out OK, but has just developed this problem, ...which would REALLY make me suspect a "dry" soldered joint (or something similar) that's "come unstuck" somewhere, one that's much more likely to be in the cable, although it could be in the beltpack itself.

(This is neither reflection on your care and handling of the gear, nor on the generally high quality of the goods as supplied, but we know that a minuscule percentage of those produced will inevitably only show faults like this after a period of "real world" service.)

Rather than being forced to wait for the warranty procedure, it would be great if you could drop into your local Line 6 outlet to try another adapter cable, or (even better) take your whole kit to the store who supplied it, so an instant "swap" could be done to get you "back on the road" as fast as possible.

#7 coryk

coryk

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationminnesota

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

It's actually done it off and on since day one. Sometimes it does it sometimes it's quiet. But latley it's all of the time. It's kind of like holding a cellphone close to amplified computer speakers if you've done that before. I've looked at the transmitter jack and cable closely, and there's no physical damage or looseness.

#8 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

So maybe it is inside the beltpack, after all, coryk...

Nonetheless trying another cable and/or a visit to the dealer would still remain the best course of action, as the almost (but not quite) "cellphone-like" noise that you report is pretty much how I'd describe the sound of our beltpack's data stream "leaking" into its own analog input.

#9 coryk

coryk

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationminnesota

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

I'm messing with it now, when I place my hand between the antenna and input cable on the transmitter the noise completely disappears. Almost as if the cable is not shielded somehow.

#10 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

...Almost as if the cable is not shielded somehow.

That's EXACTLY what I'm suggesting !

#11 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

I should also add that I regularly experience a huge variety of noises whenever my TBP12 input adapter cables are unterminated, (not connected to their sources, be they XL or the output jacks of instruments) but that the "racket" so generated invariably disappears when proper connection is made.

(My inventory contains eight TBP12 beltpacks.)

#12 coryk

coryk

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationminnesota

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

Ron. I just put the trans and receiver on channel 12 and the noise is significantly less. I'll try it this way for a live show and report back. Thanks for the help.

#13 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

...Nevertheless,  IMHO you really should try another input cable as soon as you possibly can, as there should not be any noise at all once you've plugged in.

#14 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

Hi corky

I think you have a problem that needs to be taken care of by our service department. Please open a service ticket and well fix it up.

#15 coryk

coryk

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationminnesota

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

Service ticket started

#16 coryk

coryk

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationminnesota

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:57 PM   Best Answer

Received my unit back today from Line 6. Took about 2 weeks. Now works great! Thanks Line6!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users