#1 ninfrag

ninfrag

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

Hey,

I was wondering if anybody could answer me this question?

I currently own a POD XT live, which I solely use for home recording. Is it worth it to upgrade and buy a POD HD500x? Are the models better, does it sound better, does it have more and better effects?

Thanks for an answer!

#2 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15720 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:49 AM

i'd say yes to all of your questions.

the HD pods are a higher sound quality...

there are fewer models (than the fully loaded xt with all the model packs), but they sound better.

#3 ninfrag

ninfrag

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

Hey,

Thx for the info. Are the sounds worth the upgrade of 500 dollars?

#4 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15720 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

It's hard to place a dollar amount on a subjective thing like tone....

I can only suggest that you give it a try and judge for yourself.

you might consider saving a few bucks and getting a 500 (probably loads of new ones at bargain prices, and many used ones)

but it all depends on you're preference.. some would rather pay a few bucks get the latest and a warranty.

I do think it's priced well for what it does.

#5 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

Well, as an ex user of the XT live, I can tell you that the pod is another kind of beast.And as for the price, for good or bad, line 6 has always less price than the quality it gives for any device.

#6 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Is it worth it ? - that's a very subjective question.  For me it was.  I didn't mind spending $500 bucks to get something that sounds and plays better.  I play out often plus do recording and have been doing so for a lot of years.  $500 is very inexpensive compared to $2,000 and up for a Kemper or Axe. 

On the flip side, if you're happy with what you have... well you need to make that choice.

#7 brue58ski

brue58ski

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

I believe the best way to describe the difference between the two is the XT sounds more like a professionally recorded amp and the HD is more like the raw amp.

#8 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1397 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

Thx for the info. Are the sounds worth the upgrade of 500 dollars?

personally I think that if the dynamic response of the models and their more accurate modeling is very important for you, is definitely worth the upgrade..
especially if you are a pro and you want to get the best sound quality for your money from a multi fx modeling device

if you play only sometimes just for fun the XTL is more than good

#9 sosmusic

sosmusic

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

I too upgraded from the XT live to the HD 500, and i would give a resounding YES to all your questions. The HD 500 is such a superior device, It was worth the money and a whole lot more, i only needed to be plugged into the HD500 for about 5 minutes to know this. I will add that i was a content XT Live user from the time it came out too. MUCH better amp modelling, WAY better wah models too. HD 500 is next level tone.

#10 Inerzia

Inerzia

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

Me too, I skipped X3 generation and went straight from a fully expanded XTL to an HD500. Much less models, but much more quality in each of them.

XTL is fine, it always has been fine for me, and I still use it and will continue to do so, because there's patches there that I love and can't dial with the HD

(anytime I try to do so I come up with good things, but they don't sound the same, that's the idea anyway, isn't it?). There's also the bigger offer in bass amp

models on the XTL, so, whenever I grab the bass I end up using the XTL.
It has more effects, some are new for you, some are the same, some are similar but sound different, and If you like the autowha on the XTL, you're going 

to miss having it on the HD, because there's no such thing. There are similar things, some supposedly better, but... just supposedly.
If you feel it's time for an improvement and, for whatever reason, want to stick with what L6 offers, an HD500(x) will do it for you.

#11 h8hoos

h8hoos

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

You could always go HD300 (least money and still get HD quality).  Mine is for sale with gigbag.  Today I got a HD500x.

#12 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

I solely use for home recording. Is it worth it to upgrade and buy a POD HD500x? Are the models better, does it sound better, does it have more and better effects?

Positively. For home recording the difference can probably be explained in 10 years of advancements in modeling. Seriously, for recording the xt,x3 are  are very inferior to the HD. Hd is much more believable  and much better solution if you don't won't to bother micing real amps.

#13 ur2funky

ur2funky

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

The looper is a lot of fun!

Coming from the XT, the HD500 felt a little unfinished when I first got it...there's patches that are wildly different volume levels...and it does have a different sound than your XT, so it could be a good compliment to it. I ended up selling my XT...the HD500 does sound great once you dial in your tones. Haven't tried the 500X. Good timing for going for a 500 and saving some bucks...

#14 Vin_Dizon

Vin_Dizon

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:00 AM

I have an XT Live that I got second hand really cheap a few months back without the metal shop and I have been thinking lately as well about upgrading to the HD500. I play a lot of old school thrash and death metal (80s Metallica, Death, Deicide, Possessed, Pestilence, Exodus, etc.) and the XT Live has always delivered. I also love how the whole thing is built like a tank. It's always plugged via USB into my desktop computer and I'm the type that can sit in front of Gearbox all day long tweaking and making patches like there's no tomorrow. I found that I can get some really amazing sounds out of it that really suit the style of music that I play and this is without the metal shop. I'm very satisfied with it. :D

Now I've been seeing a lot of stuff on the internet as to how the HD500 is such an improvement over the XT Live series in overall sound but then again, I don't know. I do know that I really like my XT Live. :unsure:

Also (forgive me, I am new to all things Line 6), is there anyway for the online Line 6 store to use something like PayPal? :unsure:  I don't have a credit card and I don't live in the United States (I live very far from it actually) but I'm interested in purchasing the metal shop.

#15 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15720 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

I don't think the site takes paypal.. you'd need to get a pre-paid credit card i believe.

#16 boris55

boris55

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:57 AM

is gearbox not working with pod hd500x i have no  conextion  help me i am from holland

#17 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15720 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:04 AM

gearbox does not work with the hd500x you need hd500x edit.

#18 katiekerry

katiekerry

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:17 AM

As far as upgrading from XT to HD500, Its a catch 22 in many ways.  Yes The HD500 has the potential to sound significantly better but it takes a long while to get there.  You get a plethora of added features and do dads that you can do amazing things with it.  But if you want something that is more plug and play easy and fast the HD500 is a no go for me.  It was much easier to get working tones for me with the xt technology than hd500..  I used to be able to just download usable patches through custom tone and they would generaly sound good enough but the HD500 series I have not found any good sounding patches through custom tone.  I usually have to pretty much start from scratch ( I don't no if its because the majority of people using hd series has DT amps or what).  I use  FRFR Headphones not a physical amp so I can detect sound artifacts a bit more than a limited range guitar amplifier..

well just my 2 cents good luck though If I were to do it again I would not have bought the HD500...

JTV 59 Tobacco Burst

HD500

Alesis DM10 Studio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users