Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Switching from Windows to Mac, need advice

I am seriously considering switching from Windows to Apple Macintosh. My questions:

What are the opinions here of folks that have made the switch? 

Are you glad you made the switch? 

Would you do it again? 

What should I know before I make the switch?

Will a laptop work OK for music applications, including recording, or do I need to consider a desktop?  I currently use a ASIS/Windows 10 laptop.

I will be using the computer for general home office functions as well as music functions, such as Band in a Box, Helix updates, music notation.  I will probably end up using it for music recording in the future.

Thanks for your help!

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

While Macs haven't had any decent adoption from the gaming community, the music and office communities are all over it.  And the DAW you use doesn't matter so much as it follows the proper conventions for plugins to work (they all do).  In terms of home office functionality, you can get all of the same Microsoft Office programs but the native Mac ones run a lot better and get the same job done (like Numbers replacing Excel, Pages replacing Word, etc).

I've been on a Mac for about a decade now and haven't looked back.  In terms of workflow, it's a much faster and intuitive experience.  In terms of viruses and all that other crap, I've not had any virus protection the whole time and it's never been an issue.  The operating system is isolated from user files anyways.  It's all in all an entirely more well-thought out system.  

The only issue is you pay the "apple tax," meaning the hardware is more expensive than it should be, but what you're really getting is access to the far superior software.