Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Input Impedance using an Aux send?

spikey

If this has been answered before please excuse.

Let's say I'm going to use the 4 cable method with Helix and an Amp head, using an FX-Loop send & Return, and the 1/4" mono out of Helix.

Aux 1 send to Amp input. Send from Amp into Aux 1 Rtn on Helix. 1/4" Mono out from Helix into the Return on the Amp. Amp pwr speaker out to Cabinet.

OK so far?

Now, my FX Loop is set to "instrument" level for send and return,  from Helix.

If I use an Aux send from Helix (to the guitar input on the Amp), what is my input impedance (from that send) at the guitar input on that Amp?

Will this be the same as say a guitar & cable to the Amp input? Does the Amp care? Does this even matter?

The real question is, if it is "not" like a guitar and cable (input impedance wise), how does this affect the overall tone?

Thanks...

I agree, but Id still like to know if using a send (4 cable method) changes the Input Impedance on the input of the Amp versus a straight guitar input, and thus effects its tone.

Many players us the 4 cable method with Helix, as do I. In other words and the reason I am being anal (once again) and a bit concerned about all this- If by using a Helix send as an Amp's input really affects the input impedance (and or tone) of the Amplifier, then using a 4 cable method in this way (with Helix) may not be the best (or even a good) option. 

I just measured the  impedence of a send at 10K ohms the same as the 1/4" output jack.

One thing to consider though is the input pad, if you are using a send set to instrument level you may need to turn it up a bit to compensate for the pad (I seem to remember 5.5db being mentioned as the value of the pad)

Myself I have the loop set to line level to save on using two loops (an instrument level send and a line level return) and have the output level set to -8.6dB.

This gives a unity gain between guitar and amp with the pad on and all pre effects off.

Hope this helps

Craig

I just want the amp's guitar input (Fender, Gibson, Peavey, etc etc) to see that "Instrument" level send from Helix as the same level,  as say a Boss pedal.

If the Amp sees no difference between the two (and thus no tone changes), then I'm a happy camper.