Photo

Drop Out Wireless G-30

relay g30 signal dropout

Best Answer dboomer , 08 December 2013 - 08:20 AM

If the green LED on the transmitter goes out that means the signal is not getting into the transmitter. Have you tried different cables and instruments? If the answer to that is yes and you still have the problem then the system will need to be serviced.

This problem is not caused by any interference. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 garretembercore

garretembercore

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:12 AM

What is the problem when the wireless system drops out after strumming? The signal is detected only after strumming it then it drops out. The light indicator fluctuates on and off every time I strum the guitar.

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:53 AM

We'd expect the "Audio" LED on a G30 beltpack to "drop out" in between strums, as it's mainly there as a "confidence" indicator of audio actually being present to aid in the possible diagnosis of failures further "downstream" and/or connection and/or pick-up problems.

Page 5 of the "G30 Pilot's Handbook" that arrived with your system has details of the receiver's indicators for the signal as received from its "companion" beltpack transmitter, should that be the subject of your query.

It can also be downloaded from here: http://line6.com/sup...anuals/relayg30

#3 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

Which light goes out? You really only need to be concerned if the RF LED on the receiver goes off or red.

#4 delacius

delacius

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:01 AM

I have a same problem, too many drops... when I play venues witrh lots of WiFi signals and even maybe those Shure wireless mics, I have a lot of drops... I even mad a video of the problem... I says that signal is dropping after 4-5 meters from relay ... please help

https://www.youtube....h?v=Krf4Z6354e4

#5 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

I must be misunderstanding. I don't see any dropouts in your video. As long as a you have a single green LED you have total audio.

#6 delacius

delacius

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

I must be misunderstanding. I don't see any dropouts in your video. As long as a you have a single green LED you have total audio.

Well probably you can't hear but I lose the sound even when one green LED is on. I've notice that many times when I'm playing big gigs with a lot of WIFIs and wireless mics around, is there anyway that can be sorted out or it's just the way it works?

#7 delacius

delacius

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

I'll try to explain better, it works great when I'm not on big stages, every time there is a big stage where there are a lot of Wifi signals and wireless mics, my signal just loses, I can't use it. It's not that it has drops every 5-10 min, it loses signal (to amp) like 30 time in a minute, even for 2-3 sec.

I'm just asking because I don't know what to do, I've read all instructions and really doing everything by the book.

Also read that there could be surroundings where can be problem, but I have it every time I'm on big stage.

do I have to update it? any reason why it does that? should I buy G90 for big venues? Is that normal the behavior of G30 when it's in surroundings where there are a lot of wireless stuff?

#8 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

...I don't see any dropouts in your video. As long as a you have a single green LED you have total audio...

I, however, could hear a couple, Goran...

…where your tasty bass licks briefly disappeared.

...do I have to update it? any reason why it does that? should I buy G90 for big venues? Is that normal the behavior of G30 when it's in surroundings where there are a lot of wireless stuff?

Before spending on the G90, I would urge you to try using other than "channel 1", (which the video shows you using) whenever you strike this problem, ...hopefully during a sound check before your show.

Channels 2, 5 & 6 will often operate better in the company of WiFi and so forth, as per this handy document:

http://line6.com/sup...phones-faq-r230

…so it may just be a question of you finding a clear channel (with a lot of steady green in the top LED column) "for the gig".

#9 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

According to your video you are not losing the radio. As long as you have a single green LED the radio is functioning properly. Losing audio is not the same as a dropout. You could lose audio if the cable into your transmitter goes bad. Does the audio LED on the transmitter go out when the audio stops?

Have you gone through the troubleshooting FAQ? What mode are you operating in? What firmware rev are you running?

#10 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

…so it may just be a question of you finding a clear channel (with a lot of steady green in the top LED column) "for the gig".

Maybe a better way to do this is is turn the transmitter off. Then switch the receiver through the channels. Set it on the channel that has the fewest red LEDs.

#11 delacius

delacius

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:21 AM

Does the audio LED on the transmitter go out when the audio stops?

yes LED goes out when I lose bass sound.

also I've tried this:

How to determine the currently installed firmware version:

• Relay G30 Bodypack
  • Slide the Channel Switch to channel 1, then turn on the Relay G30 Bodypack.
  • Wait for the LEDs to settle, then immediately switch the Channel Switch from 1 to 6, then back to 1 three times (1->6->1->6->1->6->1).
  • The AUDIO LED will blink the version number - Green for the major number, and Red for the minor number, i.e. 1 green blink, 2 red blinks indicate v1.02).

And what happens is that, audio LED just flashes green every  3 sec. for eternity.

Only thing I didn't understand you is this: "What mode are you operating in?" don't understand that

and yes I went through the troubleshooting FAQ.

#12 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:20 AM   Best Answer

If the green LED on the transmitter goes out that means the signal is not getting into the transmitter. Have you tried different cables and instruments? If the answer to that is yes and you still have the problem then the system will need to be serviced.

This problem is not caused by any interference.

#13 Tiger789

Tiger789

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

As for me, I can clearly hear at least a couple of drop outs (audio, that is) not radio drop outs. 

I bought the G30 as soon as it was available in the stores some years ago, and during a period I also experienced the exact same scenario as described above and in the video. Despite that I have only the very best equipment incl. top-notch cables all the way, plus 36 years experience as a guitarist/classical pianist, and being both a live sound- and radio engineer myself for several years, doesn't mean that one can't overlook the simplest explanation and solutions sometimes.

The drop outs only happened now and then and quite briefly. So it was far from obvious in the beginning that it was any problem with the guitar or cables. After having used a traditional analog wireless in the early/mid 80's, at first I suspected a typical radio drop out of some sort. In my case however, after thorough investigation it turned out to be the locking Neutrik jack output on my 2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard who caused a "cut off" to the transmitter. Despite the high quality they are well known for. After I replaced it with a new locking Neutrik jack, I have never had any drop outs later, under any circumstances (knock on wood) That be either audio or radio drop outs. And even though I have placed the G30 on my "metal" pedalboard with velcro, which to my understanding could be a potential problem for the built-in antennas, it works flawlessly anyway. And the G30 is powered by a Voodoo Lab PP2+ output 5 or 6 = 250 mA mounted underneath.

Also, that white thin patch cable in the video doesn't look convincing to me. As well known, no chain is stronger than its weakest link. As for the possible solution, the way to rule out any of the scenarios above is already mentioned previously in this thread.

th_3xMarshallYJM1001xMKII198750w2editsiz

th_P1000872.jpg

th_P1000826.jpg

th_Guitars_zps6e0a0080.jpg

#14 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

That's a really valuable, informative and all-round GREAT post,  Tiger789 !

(Some of my favourite gear as well, particularly the MidiVerb and Speaker Emulators.)

Keep on rockin' !  :)

#15 Tiger789

Tiger789

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

That's a really valuable, informative and all-round GREAT post,  Tiger789 !

(Some of my favourite gear as well, particularly the MidiVerb and Speaker Emulators.)

Keep on rockin' !  :)

Thanks!  :)​ my pleasure

#16 delacius

delacius

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

Thanks Tiger for that, just had 2 gigs where there was almost no Wifi signal and no wireless mics, it really worked flawlessly. and then same thing on a big stage (talking about venue that can fit 5000-7000 people) A lot of wireless mics and same problem... 

I really hate to have battle like this, and have no time to talk about how good cables I have, of guitars, or amps... I'm a professional musician who just need a reliable equipment. Not saying that G30 is not a great product, saying that sometimes you just can't use it...

I have a friend which is also a guitar player, and he just plays venues like I do sometimes, he had the same problem...

So, it's hard for me to discus this over forum... specially when English is my third language....

#17 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:58 PM

Are you using the factory supplied power supply or power from your pedalboard?

#18 delacius

delacius

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

Factory supplied power supply, but I've tried both, factory adapter and my SupaCharger pedal power, plus I've tried it with Diago power supply, and same thing.

#19 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

I would expect problems with the Supracharger but the other should work (depending on your total load). Have you run through the steps in the troubleshooting guide in the FAQ? I don't have any other details about your situation so I don't know where to start.

It could be a case where you have extreme RF interference is some venues and not in others. Is your receiver mounted on a metal pedal board? Do you know what firmware version you are running? Do you know which mode you are running in?

#20 caldefool

caldefool

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:25 AM

I have dropout during gigs at big venues. I am currently using a relay g30. Checked the version of the firmware and I am on v1.02.

Is there any way I can switch MANUALLY (without extra purchases of downloaders etc) between RFs based on this video: 

I would do the same but my blue LED doesnt blink the same way his does. Im guessing maybe there a difference in firmware. 

Would appreciate the help. Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: relay g30, signal dropout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users