12 replies to this topic

#1 mncanuck

mncanuck

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

I have a MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 8Gb RAM, OS X 10.8.5.  Prior to upgrading to the v1.2 M20d firmware, I was able to stream audio to and from the M20d over the USB cable without any problems.  In addition to upgrading the M20d, I've also downloaded the v1.23 drivers from the Line 6 support website.  I've also submitted a support ticket, but, it doesn't sound like this is a widespread issue.  I can play audio from the MacBook if I use the headphone port and plug into the the aux in (17/18) port on the M20d.

Just wondering if anyone else is having similar problems?    

I use the audio streaming capabilities to mainly capture rehearsals, so, it's not a show stopper as the M20d has so many other technological/beneficial qualities and I can still record to an SD card, but, it is disappointing. Looks like I may have some extra time this weekend to look into this problem more thoroughly.  If I find a solution, I'll post that as well.

Cheers!

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

My only thought would be to double check the "Sound Preferences" on your MacBook pro, (with the M20d plugged in and supposedly streaming to and/or from that laptop) just in case it is no longer either "recognising" or "selecting" the M20d at its USB port.  

#3 mncanuck

mncanuck

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

Good thought, but, the "Sound Preferences" indicated that it was recognizing the M20d.

#4 gordwait

gordwait

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

We just got the m20d, and I too can't get it to do much with my Macbook pro. 

* The Mac sees the usb sound device and lets me select the m20d for input and output,

* I can see audio from the m20d coming in to the Macbook, but at an extremely low level (too low to use)

* can't get any audio from the macbook back to the m20d, Neither iTunes or logic. The driver is attached, but there's no input shown at the m20d to match the USB stereo channel. 

* The manual/faq states that I need to add the laptop icon to the stage to enable audio playback, but the laptop icon seems to be hard coded to analog inputs, of which I don't have any left. 

Plus I wanted USB, not analog..

Somethings broken..

I'll have to add a support ticket as well..

#5 gordwait

gordwait

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

Oh boy, 

The support response was that the m20d doesn't send audio back from the mac to the m20d via USB, and - did I install the drivers? (yep..)

No response on the extremely low and unusable audio levels from the m20d to the Mac via usb that I mentioned..

Someone needs to read section 4.8 of the advanced manual on the USB streaming features...

I was hoping to sell off my presonus firewire interface to help pay for an l2m speaker and use the m20d in place of the presonus.. That plan is on hold. 

#6 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11078 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

The biggest problem I had with trying to use the M20d as a standard audio interface is the latency. It's horrible. I've concluded that it's not an acceptable audio interface for general recording purposes. You can record the initial take OK, but overdubbing is way too much trouble.

It does what it's designed to do - create in your DAW an initial recording of the dry inputs into separate tracks, as well as a stereo mix. But for overdubbing or reamping you should use a different audio interface imho.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#7 gordwait

gordwait

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

That's a drag, another reason to hang onto my Presonus firewire gear.

Seems like you got the USB streaming working though? What icon did you put on the stage to hear playback from USB?

#8 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11078 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

I used the laptop icon. My understanding is that digital audio is sent from your computer back to the M20d over USB. This is then fed into inputs 19 & 20 as the stereo mix using the laptop icon. The individual recorded tracks/inputs are fed back into their respective channel inputs and routed for processing in the M20d.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#9 gordwait

gordwait

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

I'll have to try it again. I found a laptop icon that seemed to want to use audio 15/16 or maybe it was 17/18 (the aux in) and it told me I didn't have enough ports left.. 

I'll unplug a few things to see if I can get past that gatekeeper..

#10 gordwait

gordwait

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

I fought with the laptop icon a bit more. It looks like it is set up for the analog aux in (port 17/18) but wouldn't let me add it, saying "There are no inputs for this device".

So, I saved out my current setup, and made a new one, and now at least I can add my laptop with analog aux in to the stage. 

Interesting enough when I loaded back my original setup, it now let me add the laptop there too. 

Audio to the laptop via USB is mismatched by -18db approx. 

I sang into a mic and set the input level such that when I held to 0 db on the M20D meter, Logic on the laptop showed as -18db..

Does anyone know if the audio is 16 or 24 bit?

Can't see any way to stream stereo USB back to the M20D from the laptop, even though the output driver is showing in the Mac preferences..

#11 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

It is 24bit audio. The "0" on the M20d is at 0dBu which is an analog reference to encourage a good headroom and match any metering of analog gear that is connected. The full level before clipping is +15.4 dBu which is 0 dBFS, digital full scale.

#12 gordwait

gordwait

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:10 AM

Ah, perhaps then Apple Logic "0 dB" is the same as M20d +15.4 dBu.. ?

That could explain why Logic sees "0 db" M20d as about -18 (by eyeball, while trying to sing a steady note)..

I'll have to look into Logic.. 

Ok, I'm back.. Yep it does seem that Logic's 0 db level is 0 dbFS, which would put an m20d 0dBu signal at -15.4 on the Logic input meter. 

So, there is no real problem there, as long as I enable 24 bits in the Logic audio preferences for the m20d USB driver.

#13 gordwait

gordwait

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

Resolved my USB playback issue (and closed the support ticket). Once I got it in my head to just use the same Laptop icon for either analog mini jack aux in, or USB stereo in, I was able to make it work. It would have been a bit more intuitive if the laptop icon changed to show a USB plug as opposed to a stereo analog input..

The bad news is yes, the USB record latency is huge (at least 1/4 second) making the m20d all but useless as a multitrack interface for a DAW like Logic etc. 

I'll have to keep my old presonus around instead of selling it off as I planned when buying the m20d..

Hopefully it's a driver thing, and not a hardware limitation..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: usb, m20d, macbook, v1.2, streaming audio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users