Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Pod HD500x In Front of Amp

adamftg

Any advice on the best live setup using my current gear? I'm not looking to use any crazy patches or amp sims, just a pretty basic live guitar setup. 

Current Gear:

Pod HD500X

Boss Digital Delay Pedal

Boss Flange Pedal

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier

(genre: progressive metal)

Since I don't own an Overdrive or Noise gate pedal (two essentials), is there any issue with me using the Pod in front of my amp using a patch with only an OD and Gate? Any I can then put my delay and flange in my Mesa effects loop. Ideally I'd want to start collecting pedals and stop using the Pod for live gigs, but for now this is what I've got.

What I've been doing is using the pod in front of my amp like stated, but also having time based effects on there to use as needed. However I know these effects should really be in the FX loop, which is why I'm thinking of this new setup using my old Boss pedals. I've never tried the 4 cable method, but I feel that's too complicated for what I want to get out of the Pod.

Thanks!

You shouldn't have a problem using the pods noise gates and overdrives in front of the amp. I use the noise gate regularly and keep the decay around 10 and the threshold around 35-40%. Of course that varies but I usually never change the decay and leave it around 10.

Here's a video that helped me with the noise gate.

https://youtu.be/JaIkSeXyMdQ?t=240

Most of us bought the PODHD to get away from pedals and cables.  The 4cm method isn't as bad as the dozen or so cables your pedals are going to use.  Some of your pedals need to be in front of the amp and some in the FX loop - plus they need to be cabled together.  But whatever works for you is all that counts.

• Upvote 1

Most of us bought the PODHD to get away from pedals and cables.  The 4cm method isn't as bad as the dozen or so cables your pedals are going to use.  Some of your pedals need to be in front of the amp and some in the FX loop - plus they need to be cabled together.  But whatever works for you is all that counts.

Yeah i definitely get that. The POD is awesome but I personally feel more comfortable with individual fx pedals when playing live. The main reason is that I can only get 4 visible slots per patch with the POD, and switching patches live gives me anxiety lol. I just want it all laid out infront of me.

I'm liking the idea of using the POD for my front-of-amp chain (tuner, OD, gate, compressor, etc.) since that stuff basically stays on the whole time. Just wanted to make sure there's no issues I'm missing with that

Another question I have would be how can I determine what POD master volume level is the same as my guitar's true signal level? Is the only way to A/B it with going direct into my amp and finding that sweet spot? I Usually put the master knob almost all the way up, but I'm not sure if thats boosting my guitar signal in addition to the OD I have.

Does going through my pod affect my signal in any way other than the effects I have turned on? Like if I turned off my OD and gate (no amp or cab sim either), would this be true bypass?

The main reason is that I can only get 4 visible slots per patch with the POD, 

You are aware that you can have 8 per patch, yes? 

Not only can you set your board to be 8 on/off swtiches (you lose patch switching on the bottom 4), but even if you use the 4x4 setting you can turn on/off multiple effects with one foot switch - OD off and chorus on with one click. 

• Upvote 1