Photo

Couple Of Questions

Best Answer thorneven , 04 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

Be careful with 009's.  I used to use them on my Fender FMT Tele and found that because of the medium-sized frets, I would cause my guitar to go out of tune when I pressed down too hard on the fretboard (you know, in the heat of the moment).  Since the frets on the JTV59 are similar, I go with 010's.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nikoniablue

nikoniablue

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationSt Albans, England

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

1. Is anyone using D'Addario 9's on a Korean JTV59.  I got a couple of sets free with a cable and am thinking of trying them. The guitar is set for 10's and it looks like the intonation could be an issue on the 6th string if I go lighter.  Does anyone on here use them successfully?  

2. Only problem with the guitar is a loud click sometimes when pressing the tuning button to switch to positions 2 and 4.  It's a bit erratic - sometimes it's loud, sometimes quiet.  I can improve it usually by exercising the switch but wonder if anyone else has the issue and has found a solution?

Thanks in advance

Andy

#2 pugdealer

pugdealer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

1. I use 0.11's on my 59 and I find them to suit the guitar much better...the extra tension makes for a better sound/sustain IMHO. Intonation will change of course, but that's eeeeeeeeeeasily overcome with a slight adjustment on the bridge!

2. that sounds like poor contact on the switch...If it improves by exercising, maybe you could use a bit of concact spray...or I'm just saying something really dumb...If it's under warranty, get it fixed!

#3 Harty

Harty

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

I use D'Addario 0.09 Strings on my JTV59 no problem. Perhaps you need to adjust your Trossrod a little bit.

#4 thorneven

thorneven

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Location"Upstate" New York

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:42 PM   Best Answer

Be careful with 009's.  I used to use them on my Fender FMT Tele and found that because of the medium-sized frets, I would cause my guitar to go out of tune when I pressed down too hard on the fretboard (you know, in the heat of the moment).  Since the frets on the JTV59 are similar, I go with 010's.

JTV59 cherry sunburst / Vetta 2 / Behringer FCB1010

#5 tomb68

tomb68

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:36 AM

I'm using 009's. Have tried 11's as well, but prefer 9's. I really don't hear any difference. I'm using DR Pure Blues strings. 11's are a little too stiff on the 25.5 scale for my liking. 

#6 tomb68

tomb68

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:39 AM

FYI - I'm using a JTV89 but I play 9's on all my guitars, Lesters included. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users