Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV59 and Helix VDI connection...

Been using JTV59, VDI, Helix LT running Ver 2.21

For some presets, I’ve enabled guitar model changes and/or tunings.  

Trouble is, sometimes when I leave those presets and go back to non-Variax enabled (forced) presets the Variax sticks to whatever guitar model or tuning was being used in the previous preset?  

I understand the Variax may still have a previous model but I made sure “Don’t force†all Variax stuff is enabled on these presets and even if I manually switch the Variax knobs the former models/tunings persist?  

Power cycle Helix the problem seems to go away?  

Another thing that I’ve never seen before is that I unplugged VDI cable (with battery installed and cable in audio jack) and the model selector switch turned green in color?  What does that indicate?  

Later on, while playing with models ON the sound output stopped and the switch wouldn't turn off the modeling and revert to mags until I removed the battery pack.  Basically, the system crashed and I dunno why?  

I think in future when using VDI I'll leave battery out and just use the mags for my "roving" wireless moments?  

You should remove the battery from the JTV when you use the VDI cable; they should not be used simultaneously. It's entirely possible that this is the cause of your symptoms.

Please continue testing with just the VDI and/or just the battery and report if symptoms continue.

btw...  the 'don't force' model setting does exactly that. It leaves the Variax Model at the current selection without forcing a new selection. If the current model was specified by a previous preset, changing to a 'don't force' preset leaves it as is. It does not reset the model selection to the hardware knob/switch setting.

• Upvote 1

Right on, very helpful, thanks!

I recall running across discussions about some battery/VDI weirdness?  Probably months ago but it does seem to have been an “issue†in some situations.  

As you explained, that’s how I expected “Don’t Force†to work.  But more times than I care to remember, when I go to a “Don’t Force†preset I expect to be able to switch to a different model via the “pickup/model selector†switches?  

But on a couple of occasions, it would revert to whatever the previous model/tuning was selected, before arriving at the “Don’t Force†preset?  If that makes any sense?  

It does not seem to be consistent behavior so maybe if/when I ditch the battery pack w/VDI combo this issue may resolve itself?  

Ok, I’l spend more time and keep better track of the behavior.  

Thanks again for your helpful insight!

More update. 

It seems some presets insist on calling up odd Vax models even when I've saved the preset with "Don't force" under Vax block? 

One particular preset pulls up a Reso model.  I goto to the Vax block, see it's on "Reso 2" change that to "Don't Force", save preset.  But whenever I go back to that preset (even with Vax model switch OFF) it pulls up "Reso 2" again. 

What the heck am I missing here?  I guess I need to keep playing with all those Vax block settings?