Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Annoying - Helix is a lollipop

groovedggr

I put Helix away for awhile and picked back up after the 2.30 upgrade and have paid for and downloaded many custom presets that sound good - until switching from snapshot to snapshot or from preset to preset. There's should be an easy way to adjust and save output levels to match. i do like some tones I get but is there a simple way without using computer to set my output levels? Very annoyed..

You can also use the volume of the output block, but other than going through the patches manually and adjusting them with your ears I see no way of doing that. Maybe a special view in HXedit wherer you have all snapshots / presets in a list with volume knobs next to them, but even then you'd have to do it by ear. A peakmeter doesn't tell you how loud something sounds, so you'd need an intricate algorithm to do that automatically.

And it reminded me of those wonderful "Auto" switches on compressors, gates and nowadays probably entire channelstrips. Don't they always sound so much better than adjusting them yourself...?

You can also use the volume of the output block, but other than going through the patches manually and adjusting them with your ears I see no way of doing that. Maybe a special view in HXedit wherer you have all snapshots / presets in a list with volume knobs next to them, but even then you'd have to do it by ear. A peakmeter doesn't tell you how loud something sounds, so you'd need an intricate algorithm to do that automatically.

And it reminded me of those wonderful "Auto" switches on compressors, gates and nowadays probably entire channelstrips. Don't they always sound so much better than adjusting them yourself...?yes 

yes I love to just use my ears.  But on snapshots,  the output block shows the same number on each snapshot even though the sound level changes drastically.... can I adjust a snapshot to a different number on each snapshot output block without having to use the HX Edit?

I put Helix away for awhile and picked back up after the 2.30 upgrade and have paid for and downloaded many custom presets that sound good - until switching from snapshot to snapshot or from preset to preset. There's should be an easy way to adjust and save output levels to match. i do like some tones I get but is there a simple way without using computer to set my output levels? Very annoyed..

That is not an issue exclusive to Helix. Any multieffect/modeler has the same "issue". Anything that you can put multiple effects/models that have variable level control are going to result in varying relative volumes. Normalizing volumes is just something you do. 

yes I love to just use my ears.  But on snapshots,  the output block shows the same number on each snapshot even though the sound level changes drastically.... can I adjust a snapshot to a different number on each snapshot output block without having to use the HX Edit?

Push and turn the knob underneath the level parameter to assign it to a snapshot controller (the parameter will appear in brackets). Now you can set it to a different value in each snapshot. It works just as easily on the Helix itself as in the editor.

• Upvote 1

In addition to your ears you can also use a decibel meter or any of a number of free decibel meter apps for smartphones for an objective measure of the output volume across snapshots although that does not really take Fletcher-Munson into consideration. Adding a volume block to your presets also allows you to make changes on the fly with the internal or an external expression pedal. I would still love to see an output meter of some kind added to the Helix though. I like jumpy colored lights, they go well with the tuner... :P