Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Xxl 4x12 / 121 Ribbon + Uber 4x12 / 57 On Axis = Gold

meambobbo

I have stumbled onto pure gold for a "dual cab" configuration.

Channel A use Uber 4x12 + 57 on axis
Channel B use XXL 4x12 + 121 Ribbon

Set Channel A volume around 45-50%
Set Channel B even or a bit less than Channel A. I find -5% works well.

Set the Cab DEP's all around 25%.

Don't use EQ's after the amps and before the mixer - this will cause phasing unless you apply the same amount and kind on each Channel. Use a Mid-Focus EQ after the mixer and set the HP freq to 15% and Q to around 25-35%. That should tame some boominess.  You may have to use more midrange or highs than usual to get it to have enough.

This is the most realistic tone I can get. It's not just the sound - it even affects the feel. The response is super crisp. The tone is thick and resonant. Highs are crisp. Sits perfectly in a mix.  The tone has a nice rough edge to it too.

Clips of XXL + Uber:
https://soundcloud.com/meambobbo/

New patches:
Index of /podhd/patches/XXL_Uber_Cab

if you got a mid-focus eq in post-mixer placement, you can just set the hp freq between 12 and 20% and keep adjusting Q lower and lower and adjust the freq until you don't get any boom, but it sounds natural, and it doesn't sound thin. If there's too much roughness to the distortion, you may have too much bass from the guitar that a boost or pre-eq isn't downplaying, or be distorting the power section with a lot of bass on the amp control. Same goes for backing off the mids and spiking treble. When you turn up the master volume d.e.p. things start getting awesome, but can quickly turn to into a dying pickup truck, if you don't have the entire signal chain under control.

• Upvote 1

some people have mentioned they've had trouble dl'ing stuff.  I don't know why any browser would try to display the files as html.  I would not use right click - save as.  Just left click the link and if prompted to open or save as, choose save as, and make sure the browser doesn't append .html on the file.  Should be .h5e and .h5s files.

What browser and OS are you using?

Nice it really does have a nice fullness to it. I have been wondering Meambobbo actually two things.... Do you have a sound engineering degree by chance? And how much time did it eat up building that guide? And I ask that purely out of respectful curiosity because surely I would still be stuck, after a year now, scratching my head looking at this box called a POD hd500 like a caveman must have looked at a wheel were it not for your time and efforts. One last question while I have you on the phone..... Have you ever used it with the DT50 2x12? Or any DT series and any impressions or tips? I ask because that is what I use and was curious as to an quirks or findings u had on it.

Glad you like it.  To answer the questions...

No, I have no real experience in sound engineering.  I'm just kind of a perfectionist/tweeker, and I do come from a scientific/engineering background, so I do like to understand how things work.  I also am a fairly cheap guy, and as every guitarist knows - stuff ain't cheap.  So you gotta learn to get the best out of what you've got.

I have no idea how long the guide took to put together.  I originally was just collecting key information from forum threads, so that I could copy/paste it like FAQ to new forum members.  Then I made a word doc, but I found myself updating it so much that I wanted it online, so I could edit without getting disorganized.  If you look at the change log, you can see how much I've added to it and modified it over time.

I have never seen or heard a DT-XX.  I hear lots of good things, but I do know of a few small quirks.  I've heard that the DT sounds better than the DT + Pod, running the Pod's pre-amp sims into the DT.  Not sure if that's just a gain issue or what.  Could just be slightly different gain staging/levels.  I think also, when you use "no amp" on the Pod, it uses the DT's pre-amp simulation - there's a way around this so you CAN use "no amp" but I think you have to use Channel B (or vice versa).  Overall, people seem to think it's not difficult to setup or figure out quirks.

• Upvote 1

Figured it out! I left-clicked, hit "save as" and then manually added the .h5e suffix. Works like a champ!!

Sorry! I meant right-click!!!  And I also meant "extension" but the word just wouldn't come to my feeble mind at the time! :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

I have stumbled onto pure gold for a "dual cab" configuration.

Channel A use Uber 4x12 + 57 on axis

Channel B use XXL 4x12 + 121 Ribbon

Set Channel A volume around 45-50%

Set Channel B even or a bit less than Channel A. I find -5% works well.

Set the Cab DEP's all around 25%.

Don't use EQ's after the amps and before the mixer - this will cause phasing unless you apply the same amount and kind on each Channel. Use a Mid-Focus EQ after the mixer and set the HP freq to 15% and Q to around 25-35%. That should tame some boominess.  You may have to use more midrange or highs than usual to get it to have enough.

This is the most realistic tone I can get. It's not just the sound - it even affects the feel. The response is super crisp. The tone is thick and resonant. Highs are crisp. Sits perfectly in a mix.  The tone has a nice rough edge to it too.

Clips of XXL + Uber:

https://soundcloud.com/meambobbo/

New patches:

Index of /podhd/patches/XXL_Uber_Cab

if you got a mid-focus eq in post-mixer placement, you can just set the hp freq between 12 and 20% and keep adjusting Q lower and lower and adjust the freq until you don't get any boom, but it sounds natural, and it doesn't sound thin. If there's too much roughness to the distortion, you may have too much bass from the guitar that a boost or pre-eq isn't downplaying, or be distorting the power section with a lot of bass on the amp control. Same goes for backing off the mids and spiking treble. When you turn up the master volume d.e.p. things start getting awesome, but can quickly turn to into a dying pickup truck, if you don't have the entire signal chain under control.

jp recto rtm sound really good!!!!!!!

there is a patch for this? because i have not found on your preset list...........

thank you for your job

Ok glad ppl are enjoyin them. I find it makes a world of difference.

The petrucci recto rhythm used john's solo album, suspended animation, as the target tone, so the name is jp-sus. Theres a rhythm and a lea for that

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/XXL_Uber_Cab/SH_JP-SusR_L.h5e

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/XXL_Uber_Cab/SH_JP-SusL_L.h5e

Those final L's are confusing. They were meant to indicate a version or revision. I was using MMDD dates but once i hit a year it was too obnoxious so i switched to letters. L = last

... But we know thats never true! Haha

Ok glad ppl are enjoyin them. I find it makes a world of difference.

The petrucci recto rhythm used john's solo album, suspended animation, as the target tone, so the name is jp-sus. Theres a rhythm and a lea for that

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/XXL_Uber_Cab/SH_JP-SusR_L.h5e

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/XXL_Uber_Cab/SH_JP-SusL_L.h5e

Those final L's are confusing. They were meant to indicate a version or revision. I was using MMDD dates but once i hit a year it was too obnoxious so i switched to letters. L = last

... But we know thats never true! Haha

thank you man!!!!!

i'll test in studio next week!!!!!!

:-)

• 1 year later...