Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Latest Helix update 2.30

abaxe

I just updated Helix and everything went fine. However, I noticed the new Helix Editor updated with a new shortcut and icon but my old Helix editor shortcut is still on my desktop also. Is there a reason for this? Am I ok to delete the old HD editor? just wondering... thanks

I just updated Helix and everything went fine. However, I noticed the new Helix Editor updated with a new shortcut and icon but my old Helix editor shortcut is still on my desktop also. Is there a reason for this? Am I ok to delete the old HD editor? just wondering... thanks

Yes, the firmware notes even recommend uninstalling the old Editor.

Yup, same here. Use the older, Helix uninstaller (not HX Edit uninstall, obvz) to remover the older Helix editor. I'm sure I read someone saying that the 2.30 update did this automatically, but it didn't on my system.

Yup, same here. Use the older, Helix uninstaller (not HX Edit uninstall, obvz) to remover the older Helix editor. I'm sure I read someone saying that the 2.30 update did this automatically, but it didn't on my system.

I don't believe Helix Edit 2.30 removes the old Helix app automatically. I think you have to do it manually. Here are the firmware release notes. See instruction #5.

Updating a Helix Floor/Rack/LT Running 2.20.0 or HIGHER:

1. Download and install the all new HX Edit application, available here (this will also install the latest version of Line 6 Updater):

2. Connect Helix to your computer and launch HX EditFrom the File pull-down menu, select “Create Backup…†Follow the prompts to create a full-state backup of your Helix (Global Settings, IRs, setlists, and presets).

3. Close HX Edit, open Line 6 Updater, and follow the prompts to update your Helix's firmware. Helix will begin rebuilding presets. Wait for this process to complete.

4. Close Line 6 Updater, reopen HX Edit, and from the File pull-down menu, select “Restore From Backup…†Follow the prompts to restore Helix to its previous state.

5. Remove the old Helix application from your computer. It won't work with 2.30 firmware anyway.

• Upvote 1

Well I got the short-cut out of finder and into the trash bin on my mac... but I don't think it is completely uninstalled. I don't see it being a problem. I just didn't like seeing 2 different versions on my computer. Thanks for the input everybody... I obviously didn't read far enough to see the uninstall recommendation during the update lol oh well

Well I got the short-cut out of finder and into the trash bin on my mac... but I don't think it is completely uninstalled. I don't see it being a problem. I just didn't like seeing 2 different versions on my computer. Thanks for the input everybody... I obviously didn't read far enough to see the uninstall recommendation during the update lol oh well

I haven't used Edit on Mac in quite a while, but isn't there an uninstaller for the HX Edit app that you just run to uninstall the 2.21 version? If not, you should be able to drag it from the applications folder into the trash folder, then empty the trash. 

Not sure if this matters on a Mac, but it does on Windows. The program name HX Edit is new and begins with v2.30. Previously the program was named Helix. On Windows the list of installed programs includes both Helix v2.21 and HX Edit v2.3. There is no conflict in having both installed but after installing HX Edit there is no need to retain the Helix program; it is obsolete and can be uninstalled for administrative convenience.

Not sure if this matters on a Mac, but it does on Windows. The program name HX Edit is new and begins with v2.30. Previously the program was named Helix. On Windows the list of installed programs includes both Helix v2.21 and HX Edit v2.3. There is no conflict in having both installed but after installing HX Edit there is no need to retain the Helix program; it is obsolete and can be uninstalled for administrative convenience.

Thanks for the information.

Not really a problem, especially with the addition of the new "Restore Backup" function in the new HX Edit 2.30, but just a little something to be aware of that I believe is a change from the previous Helix application editor versions to the new HX Edit 2.3:

I was able to import all of my IRs at one time into the old Helix app editor by highlighting all of them and doing the import. One thing I have noticed has changed if I remember correctly in the new HX Edit 2.30 is the following. In the old Helix app even if you had empty slots in your IR list you could still bulk import all your IRs at one time by highlighting them all and using the Import function on the Impulse Response tab. Having an empty slot now in your IR list will cause your bulk import to fail at the empty slot. You now have to import your IRs in bulk by groups that do not have an empty slot. Not a big deal but something to be aware of if you get that orange bar and error message when attempting to bulk import IRs. I have every IR slot filled so not a problem for me.

Anyway, not sure if I described this issue accurately and how exactly I got this to happen (repeatedly) but the overall gist of it is if your manual bulk import fails and you see an orange bar with an error message when you are manually bulk importing IRs look for an empty slot as the culprit. All the IRs up to the empty slot should import properly. Blank IR slots are not a problem if you are using HX Edit 2.30's new "Restore Backup" function.