#1 jzuzio

jzuzio

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Registered Products:1

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:49 PM

So I've proudly owned a Helix since March 2016.  I've gigged with it a ton and I've always forgone the amp and cab modelling route and instead, I've run the 4CM and used the unit more of a pedalboard.  I've dabbled in using some preamp models in front of my amp with pleasant results. I've gigged with this set up a TON.  Always happy with everything I've gotten out of it.  

Recently I played a small club gig and ran the Helix straight into the board with an amp/cab model in place of my FX send/return block.  It sounded great, but I did experience some noticeable latency.  I've never noticed any latency running the 4CM without amp/cab models.  I'd really like to be able to run this rig without hauling an amp to these gigs,  but I find myself hesitant about not having an amp and relying solely on the modelling.  

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any suggestions or possible remedies?

#2 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 9063 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:45 PM

There should be no more latency with running direct than running in the 4CM. If anything, the 4CM would have a little more latency because you’d have an additional layer of A/D conversion. If you’re experiencing latency going direct, it would be from something else in your signal other than the Helix.

"It is not our duty to understand the arbitrary, meaningless dictates of machines"

- Don Norman in The Design of Everyday Things

#3 gunpointmetal

gunpointmetal

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts
  • Registered Products:3

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:10 AM

How were you monitoring when you went direct? Is is possible that you were hearing room reflections over your stage sound and experiencing it was latency? I play with a wireless and if I get more than 25'-30' from my monitor it "feels" like there is latency but its just sound over distance. I've experience similar in large rooms where I can hear the FOH bouncing back to the stage from room. But yeah, you should technically have MORE latency with 4CM because of the as-mentioned extra could AD/DA conversions.

#4 TLF2007

TLF2007

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:35 AM

I've never noticed any huge issues with lag other than some bounce back as mentioned previously. How were you monitoring yourself? 

#5 jbuhajla

jbuhajla

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1875 posts
  • LocationDenton TX
  • Registered Products:4

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:10 AM

Yep, something else outside the Helix is the issue here. The signal comes out of the Helix all the same no matter 1/4", XLR, or USB. 

Disclaimer: All my opinions referencing the Helix (and all other products) are based upon my personal playing tastes and gear. 

Ephesians 5:19- ...addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart

#6 jzuzio

jzuzio

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Registered Products:1

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the responses, all.  

Gunpointmetal, I think you're correct in assessment.  I usually use my amp as my monitor and let our sound guys worry about front of house.  I think because I was relying solely on the house system, I was experiencing some delayed bounce without the immediacy of having my amp behind me.  Hopefully, I can have our sound company provide an extra stage monitor so I can gig without an amp completely.  I've looked into getting an FRFR, but if I have to carry a speaker, I figure it might as well be an amp just in case something goes awry with the Helix.  

#7 jbuhajla

jbuhajla

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1875 posts
  • LocationDenton TX
  • Registered Products:4

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:25 PM

You definitely need monitors with you and the rest of the band mix, or else you are doomed. 

Disclaimer: All my opinions referencing the Helix (and all other products) are based upon my personal playing tastes and gear. 

Ephesians 5:19- ...addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart

#8 duncann

duncann

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2828 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:42 PM

You definitely need monitors with you and the rest of the band mix, or else you are doomed. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: latency, 4cm, amp/cab, model