carlito17

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:59 PM

My Helix Rack is obviously mounted in a rack. What is the best alternative to use as an alternative input (so as to not have to run a cable to the front of the unit)? One of the loop returns? Or is it just best to use the front input?

"Music is my religion." - Jimi Hendrix

#2 PeterHamm

PeterHamm

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2212 posts
  • LocationMaineville, OH

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:42 AM

Sorry, but none. This annoys me about all guitar gear that only has an input on the front. There should be one on the back as well imho. The Returns come closest, but they aren’t quite right. Also, ONLY the front has the auto-Z input so if you need to use something that uses a wacky impedance like fuzz, onlythe front will work at all.
I play Tom Anderson, Wechter & Line 6 (for whom I am a Beta Tester for Helix Rack and Helix Native)

#3 spikey

spikey

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Registered Products:8

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:44 AM

For LP and strat switch a roo's I'm using an old DOD 240 resistance mixer so that I don't wear out the input plug/port on the Helix rack by switching in and out guitars/cables, but I'm sure there are other/better methods as well. Yea i know impedance yada yada,  but it sounds ok to me and there's less wear and tear on Helix.

I've used everything in Helix, but then I'm not from this planet ...    :lol: 

#4 carlito17

carlito17

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:20 PM

Sorry, but none. This annoys me about all guitar gear that only has an input on the front. There should be one on the back as well imho. The Returns come closest, but they aren’t quite right. Also, ONLY the front has the auto-Z input so if you need to use something that uses a wacky impedance like fuzz, onlythe front will work at all.

I hear ya. Any rack pre or effects type unit should have one on front and back. Oh well. Small thing really.

"Music is my religion." - Jimi Hendrix

#5 jondufour

jondufour

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:55 AM

This is the kind of thing that annoys me to no end, rack gear with no inputs in the back....what ... the ... heck. It's something that instantly takes a device off the list for me. I'm sure the excuse is well it's for the studio and you can plug things in the front....um yeah I can also have a cable running out the back that gets plugged into different things.

anyway...I love the Helix more than any piece of guitar gear I've owned and simply wouldn't buy the rack version for that very reason.