27 replies to this topic

#21 kenny-pdx

kenny-pdx

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

Electronically, the unit appears to function and produces good tonal effects, but the 4-way Nav disc is loose as a goose.  Another issue is that the USB jack does not securely hold the USB cable, thus it intermittently looses its connection to a host computer when the cable is moved. These two mechanical issues are indicative of a manufacturing defect and poor QC.  I've contacted my reseller and will update here with a follow-up post.  I know the AXE FX is 3X the $$$, but it's made in the USA and is built to higher manufacturing standards.  Oh, the pain of a tone junkie.

I returned the HD Pro X to the reseller.  I agreed to a swap if they can verify the unit doesn't have these two manufacturing defects and the unit functions.  Since the reseller updates the firmware and loads additional custom presets, it makes sense that they can pull a unit to inspect it for defects prior to shipping me a 2nd HD Pro X.  I'm assuming they weren't aware that the flimsy 4-way nav button is a hot topic on this forum so I pointed them here. Like others have said, at this price point the HD Pro X ought to be a flagship product.  I'll post yet another update if and when I receive unit #2.  I'm not holding my breath though, as I believe these two defects are not flukes but are inexcusable design flaws.

#22 kenny-pdx

kenny-pdx

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

I'm with you.

Besides a loose 4-way navigation disc on 2 of 3 HD Pros and on one HD Pro X i had, the thing about USB-Jack was something i recognized, too.

An all units it didn't snapped to hold the usb-plug as strong and secure as the one on my old XT Pro for example.

Quality really let down with the HD Pro (X).

That being said:

• the used Displays are really a joke. These ones are really cheap ones. But ok, maybe they think people should prefer the pc-software. But still, it remains a cheap and low quality display (especially in 2013).
  • i suppose the digital encoders underneath the display won't last that long when used often.
  • An all units - some of the "amp"-pots were mounted uneven and some were rubbing against the front panel at some positions, especially when fully turned around with one finger.

I'd really love to own one of these and i gave them more than one try, but at a 740€ pricepoint here in germany, i really expect at least a bit of quality.

And i think they could have spent some better knobs and pots considering the extra charge we pay for the Pro-Model which i think is even cheaper in production for Line6 than the HD500 (less material, no  footswitches and no pedal).

Maybe i'll give it one last try or get an eleven rack, kemper or an axe-fx.

If the 2nd HD Pro X I receive has these two issues, I'm calling it quits with this make and model. That flimsy 4-way nav button and loose-fitting USB jack just rips me the wrong way.  I'll sell a gallon of my blood and bite the bullet on an Axe-Fx II.

#23 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14792 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

really?! i have the pro x... and i don't get the complaints... 

the button works fine... that and i'm far more willing to accept that you might have a lower quality usb cable... 

move on if that's what you need to do.... but damn silly thing to get worked up about... in my personal opinion. (which does not represent any official line6 opinion on the matter)

#24 StealthPro

StealthPro

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

For me, i can say i did try different usb-cables (including one out of a line6 box). (I don't know if Kenny tried different cables, too.)

Otherwise - surprisingly (as i wrote) the old XT Pro had no problems and snaps all the usb-plugs really well.

We are talking about a POD above 700 euros. We pay a premium extra charge compared to the normal bean and line6 is promoting the Pro with "Professional-grade construction".

So hey, then i think it is "damn silly" to accept loose or even hanging knobs / cheap components at that point.

#25 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14792 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

exactly how robust would a knob that gets used in that manner be?

i mean it has nothing to do with performance...

the unit is rack mounted in a studio desk or backline and it's just not something that gets used aggressively in the least...

if its that big of a deal to you, then it's that big of a deal to you...

i just disagree, and cannot relate to your outrage at all...

could it be better or different? sure... couldn't everything?

So hey, then i think it is "damn silly" to accept loose or even hanging knobs / cheap components at that point.

#26 StealthPro

StealthPro

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

move on if that's what you need to do.... but damn silly thing to get worked up about... in my personal opinion. (which does not represent any official line6 opinion on the matter)

I just used the words "damy silly" cause of this statement from you, as i was not excited bout the choice of words.

Maybe i translated those words wrong in this context, so i felt offended.

If so than i excuse myself.

exactly how robust would a knob that gets used in that manner be?

i mean it has nothing to do with performance...

the unit is rack mounted in a studio desk or backline and it's just not something that gets used aggressively in the least...

if its that big of a deal to you, then it's that big of a deal to you...

i just disagree, and cannot relate to your outrage at all...

could it be better or different? sure... couldn't everything?

I think a knob should'nt be loose or hanging down on a new unit straight out the box, especially when i know from my own experience, that there are HD Pro units out there, where it is ok.

You asked if it could be better or different? I know that it can be better, if you get a good one.

And again, we are talking about the 700€+ POD-Model with "Professional-grade construction", to me that includes the operating controls.

btw. e. g. the knobs on my nearly 20 years old Boss-rack-units still, after all these years, feel much more convenient and are showing no signs of age.

But i don't have to get so far - my old POD XT Pro feels better too - no quality issues after all these years.

I know Line6 can do better.

There is a wide spread in quality. If i had the chance to get a Pro X with a navigation disc well mounted as on my first (out of 3) HD Pro, but without giving a clipping high gain sound as this first HD Pro (sadly) did, a display without dirt-inclusions (POD HD #1 had this problem) and without dropping pc-audio occasionally (again Pro X), i really had been happy.

As you can see with the number of units i tried, i really wanted a POD HD Pro (X).

I'm more talking bout quality not performance. But i have to say, i worried about the longterm-stability / how much use (not abuse) one of those factory-default-loose-knobs will stand compared to the correctly mounted ones.

The starter of this thread exchanged his unit and got a better one, so hey there seems to be a quite large spread in quality and with that i think Line6' quality-control has a problem these days.

I don't know if you are getting paid by Line6 for writing in this forum or if you are just a great fan of Line6 and so received your awards, but if someone

who is awarded as a Line6expert with Line6-logo in a Line6forum writes as if there is not a problem at all, i as a customer and someone who takes the time trying to get a flawless unit, the time to write these things down here and exchange with the official support, just don't feel taken serious.

But for critisizing a product, an official support forum seems to be the wrong place most of the time.

That being said, i really appreciate the fact, that this thread still exists on an official manufacturer forum.

#27 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14792 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

again if it matters that much to you make some exchanges or whatever with the retailer and get one you're happy with.

I just think we're making a big deal out of something that has not had an impact on the operation of the unit.

that's my opinion... and i included it here for a little balance...

you obviously have a different opinion and stated it here as well.

it's perfectly within your rights to have it exchanged or repaired while under warranty

and i'd encourage you to do so...

but to frame this as some sort of epic fail is just ridiculous.. (again in my unpaid,unofficial, private, personal opinion)

i don't understand why you haven't just got your replacement and moved on...

noone official at line6 will respond to this forum post...

and if you're trying to prompt a response...

pursue this other venue: http://line6.com/company/contact/

I just used the words "damy silly" cause of this statement from you, as i was not excited bout the choice of words.

Maybe i translated those words wrong in this context, so i felt offended.

If so than i excuse myself.

I think a knob should'nt be loose or hanging down on a new unit straight out the box, especially when i know from my own experience, that there are HD Pro units out there, where it is ok.

You asked if it could be better or different? I know that it can be better, if you get a good one.

And again, we are talking about the 700€+ POD-Model with "Professional-grade construction", to me that includes the operating controls.

btw. e. g. the knobs on my nearly 20 years old Boss-rack-units still, after all these years, feel much more convenient and are showing no signs of age.

But i don't have to get so far - my old POD XT Pro feels better too - no quality issues after all these years.

I know Line6 can do better.

There is a wide spread in quality. If i had the chance to get a Pro X with a navigation disc well mounted as on my first (out of 3) HD Pro, but without giving a clipping high gain sound as this first HD Pro (sadly) did, a display without dirt-inclusions (POD HD #1 had this problem) and without dropping pc-audio occasionally (again Pro X), i really had been happy.

As you can see with the number of units i tried, i really wanted a POD HD Pro (X).

I'm more talking bout quality not performance. But i have to say, i worried about the longterm-stability / how much use (not abuse) one of those factory-default-loose-knobs will stand compared to the correctly mounted ones.

The starter of this thread exchanged his unit and got a better one, so hey there seems to be a quite large spread in quality and with that i think Line6' quality-control has a problem these days.

I don't know if you are getting paid by Line6 for writing in this forum or if you are just a great fan of Line6 and so received your awards, but if someone

who is awarded as a Line6expert with Line6-logo in a Line6forum writes as if there is not a problem at all, i as a customer and someone who takes the time trying to get a flawless unit, the time to write these things down here and exchange with the official support, just don't feel taken serious.

But for critisizing a product, an official support forum seems to be the wrong place most of the time.

That being said, i really appreciate the fact, that this thread still exists on an official manufacturer forum.

#28 kenny-pdx

kenny-pdx

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

In defense of StealthPro, I feel compelled to back him up with regards to quality, after all these units are made in China. However, not all things made in China are of poor quality, i.e., Apple products are made in China but Apple enforces strict QA and QC manufacturing policies. Quality means something around the world where a well-made device is appreciated.  One would expect to see quality when letting $700 USD fly out of one's wallet. The 4-way nav button on the first unit I received was so loose that it took several attempts to get it to click. The USB cable was not defective as I used it on other USB devices. The USB jack merely lacks the depth to securely accept the plug end of the cable. I find these two issues unacceptable. Did the unit function? Yes, but not consistently. Does newspaper work? Yes, but I prefer soft toilet tissue. Most people desire quality, and the Pro X is an example of how a cheap $0.95 switch in a $700 product can engender controversy and critical thought. I hope my reseller finds a better unit in their inventory, because I do like the tonal quality of the HD Pro X. At the end of the day, those of us who desire quality over mediocrity will have to make the appropriate choice, which is our prerogative. I believe this thread for the most part has illuminated a few concerns about quality control and component specification in the HD Pro X, and that's a good thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users