Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

1st gig with Helix

davidjtsim76

So after only a month owning the rack and controller, and only 2 rehearsals, my new rig got its first run out. Its a 3 band tribute, ELO (PLO), Meatloaf (Cheatloaf) and Non Jovi (fairly obvious). We do varied size venues, but typically 350ish seats. Its a hefty set of sounds and needs from 4 different harmonizer settings to grungy octaver and the obvious difference in amp sounds for those bands. In short, the Helix delivered and then some! I was nervous about patches translating to FOH but there was no audible difference to what was coming out of my Yanaha DXR 10 thankfully. I use a couple different IR’s from Ownhammer and 3Sigma, but the Helix does the rest. Any concerns I had about there being a different ‘feel’ to the rig were gone within 5 mins of cranking it up (I use the DXR behind me set to monitor) and tbh I don’t think I’ve ever had such clarity onstage from any previous rig. The band noticed the difference in a cleaner stage sound and it of course the load in and out was just bliss! I genuinely can’t imagine needing or wanting to go back to tubes with options this thing has, and I haven’t even scratched the surface. Anyone on the fence about getting one of these, I am here to say don’t be, you won’t regret it for a second!!

Your setup is almost identical to mine other than the fact I use a DXR12 rather than a 10.  Like you I set my monitor behind me in a traditional backline fashion also set to monitor.  Additionally I set the low cut on the speaker to 120Hz as that's what most subs are set to and there's really nothing of interest being produced there.  I'm surprised more people don't do this type of backline setup as it truly makes a huge difference in giving you a much better blended sound with the rest of the band more so than having it setup in front of you. 

I'm also not surprised at all at your results.  I've had my Helix setup for coming up on two years and have always had terrific results matching up FOH to my stage sound given the FOH system is a fairly modern PA.  The only time I had a problem was when the FOH PA was a 20+ year old system using old style passive speakers/subs with a centralized amp and crossovers.  It just wasn't precise enough to accurately represent  the signal like my DXR12 produced.  Fortunately, it was a smaller room so I could easily make up for the difference using my DXR12 behind me to fill in the lack of clarity and articulation coming from the antique PA.  Just something to keep an eye on.  I doubt you'll run into it.  That was a "one off" type of situation and it's never happened again, but it's worth knowing about.

I'm surprised more people don't do this type of backline setup as it truly makes a huge difference in giving you a much better blended sound with the rest of the band more so than having it setup in front of you. 

Not disputing that you can get a great blend when your guitar monitor is in the backline but there are a couple of advantages as well to having it set up in front of you like a vocal monitor. A side placement can even be beneficial, particularly if it makes it easier for the band to hear you or if you are using Bose column type speakers which may be placed essentially in the backline and might experience some degree of phase cancellation if your monitor is facing them.

Front monitor placement does make it easier to generate feedback (the good kind, or bad if you are playing acoustic) and it can be easier for the entire band to hear your guitar depending on where they and you are situated on the stage. Front placement can also make it easier to mix for FOH as you don't have as much additive sound from your monitor mixing with the FOH.

Some people are also using their vocal monitor to serve double-duty and provide both guitar and vocals. Why not? Even less equipment to drag to the show. Lastly if you play a festival you may have to deal with whatever their soundman provides and you may not want to mic up your monitor.

In all cases you need to make sure that your guitar is sounding good at the FOH because as you point out, the placement of your guitar monitor may make a difference in what the audience is hearing.  I find all methods (back, front, or even side monitor) have different merits depending on where the guitarist is situated (center, stage right, stage left, behind another player [shudder], etc.), the stage setup, space available, and PA equipment being used.

I too use my FRFR (two JBL EON610s) behind me. I use IEMs for monitoring so the FRFR is primarily to 1) let me feel the guitar, 2) let the guitar hear the speakers for some interaction, and 3) to provide stage fill in small clubs so the dancers hear some guitar too. I tried having my vocal and guitar monitor on the floor in front of me, but it didn’t work well at all. I had to use ear plugs to control the overall band volume and the monitor didn’t sound right or provide the feel I was use to. IEMs provide just a bit of high end to complement the bleed from the FRFR behind me and the feel of real speakers in the room. I couldn’t play with a monitor in front of me without the ear plugs.

I think some of this placement is dependent a bit on the situation.  In my situation our band consists of 7 people with 3 dedicated singers up front and the musicians behind them, so placing my monitor in front of me would allow the rest of the musicians to hear me, but wouldn't work so well for the front singers and the harmonica player.  We don't tend to put our instruments through the vocal monitors unless it's a very large venue on a large stage.  I think it also feels more natural to the front singers to have the sound all coming from a backline in our situation.

All good thoughts guys, the monitor behind thing is possibly the last bit of insecurity, I think I just needed that little bit of familiarity but def going to try it in direct monitor situation too. I found just because of the angle and the fact I raised it up a little that I didn’t need half the volume I thought I might. The its only me and the bass player not on in ears so he just had a little back through his wedge and everyone else adjusted to taste. I reckon with some more tweaking it will be just unbeatable.

I've just done my first couple of gigs with the Helix too. Been recording with it for a while but this is the first time I've played live with it.

The rest of the band had their usual heavy amps backline then into PA. I dropped the Helix's XLR out down to mic level and then straight to FOH and that was that - my default is also XLR full volume with the volume knob only controlling the 1/4 volume (not that I was using it). I trust the guy front of house so was sure no phantom power was coming back my way and also I could hear my guitar clearly in the monitors from FOH. Very happy with the sound and got some excellent feedback. Tweaked one of the amp blocks at sound check for more umph as a couple of patches weren't balanced - my fault.

And at the end of the night... One guitar and one HelixLT in rucksack and I'm good to go. (course helped my mates move all their heavy gear too ;-)